Thread: Harry Towb RIP

Default Harry Towb RIP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8168967.stm

83 is a good age, of course, but I'm rather sad about this. The first BBC Video I ever bought was The Seeds of Death back in about 1987, and for whatever reason his was one of the names from the guest cast that stuck in my mind. I've seen him pop up in various things over the years too.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Slightly surprised to see it on the front page of BBC News, but I'd guess it may well be important news in Northern Ireland. I think he once gave an interview where he said that as practically the only actor in Equity who could do both Northern Ireland and Jewish, he'd carved himself out a nice little niche.

I have to say that I think of Harry Towb every time I see one of those inflatable armchairs- needless to say I've never bought one...

Pip Madeley Guest

Slightly surprised to see it on the front page of BBC News
    Even more surprised to see a photo of him and Terry Scully from 'Seeds' there... RIP to an actor who always gave memorable and entertaining performances.

Poor old Harry Towb. He had an amazing career and seems to crop up in the most surprising of places, The Ghosts of N-Space notwithstanding!

RIP

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Fond memories of him in You And Me, of all programmes; but then he was good in all the things I've seen him in.

Strange that Ceefax's headline calls him an "Eastenders star" when he was only in one episode!

His death is all over Ceefax, BBC News and Digital Spy! Not being cruel, but is it a slow news day? Cyril Shaps never got this coverage.

Si.

RIP Harry. Very sad news

You were really good as McDermot in Terror of The Autons, not standing any nonsense from The Master, but then falling victim to that horrible plastic chair
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

He would have been 84 today. It's sad that he died 3 days before.

Harry Towb was really good in both of his brief televised roles in Doctor Who where he came to a sticky end in both at the hands of the villains. He was quite funny as Mario in the radio serial The Ghosts of N-Space as well.

It's unusual that the BBC calls the former serial Doctor Who and the Seeds of Death, very Target-like.

Another fine actor gone. R.I.P.