Default Sir Bobby Robson has died.

From Yahoo News:

Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson, who has fought a long-running battle against cancer, has died at the age of 76. Robson had contracted the disease for the fifth time.

Robson, who was 76, had been battling various forms of cancer for several years and was diagnosed with inoperable tumours in both lungs last year.

He played for Fulham and West Brom during the 1950s and 1960s, and later went on to manage Fulham, Ipswich, PSV, Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona and the club he supported as a boy, Newcastle United.

After ending a playing career that earned him 20 England caps, Robson moved into management and won the UEFA Cup in 1981while in charge of Ipswich Town. A year later he became England manager.

After leading England to the World Cup semi-finals in 1990 he returned to club management, including spells in charge of PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona, Porto and his Newcastle.

On Sunday, a wheelchair-bound Robson was at St James' Park for a charity match in his honour which attracted a crowd of more than 30,000 fans.

More at the BBC.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

That's very sad news, he always came across as a lovely man, indeed a gentleman, which can be said about very few people in the football industry these days. At least he was able to make it to the charity match in his honour, which must have been quite touching.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Very sad news, RIP.

It's nice that the charity match (between surviving players from the 1990 England v Germany semi-final) ended with a win for England, on penalties!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

Been listening to Five Live all morning, lots of tributes - a testament to the man. RIP.

Sad news for England and Ipswich fans, and most in football really. I disagreed with the news report that "most people will mainly remember the dissapointments" - even though we went out in the Semi's, I have great memories of Italia 90 and it was a triumph for England to do as well as we did.

Si.

Sir Bobby, was one of those few people that if he had some thing to say you listened he was a true gentlemen who battled cancer with bravery and dignity.

R I P .

Poor old Bobby!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Captain Tancredi Guest

If nothing else, he gave us the most successful England team of my lifetime in spite of some really venomous press coverage.

Yes, a lot of the media try to brush under the carpet how badly they treated him before Italia '90.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Very, very sad - a true old fashioned gent of the game, a great manager both at club and international level, and a fine ambassador for English football in Europe, too. One of the finest England managers ever, just a crying shame that near the end of his manaqgerial career, Newcastle, the club he had supported all his life, treated him like crap. I remember the coverage when he was leaving after being sacked, and he looked heartbroken. Not the way to treat such a dignified, honest, well-loved footballing legend. There are not enough people like Sir Bobby i football now, and he will be sorely missed.

Rest in peace.

Well I think Newcastle (finally) reaped what they sowed there at the end of last season....