Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are Beards Good?

I've grown a beard. It's only through laziness while I've been unwell, but you know I rather like the whole not having to shave every morning (and evening if you're like me and have 5 O'Clock shadow by midday). Anyway, I probably won't keep it this time round, but I'd still like to gauge PS's reactions to facial hair. Is it a good or bad thing?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well, it certainly helps your Brian Blessed impressions.

Or...so I am led to believe.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Beards are currently cool. All the coolest bands these days have beards. I went to Edinburgh comedy preview thing a few weeks back and all teh coolest comedians had beards. Father Christmas has a beard and he's pretty cool. My dad also has a beard.

I would grow a beard but am not allowed to by Jody or funnily enough work.

I don't like beards on other people. I like beards on me, but only when I'm feeling depressed. However, I'm put of growing them by the inevitable reaction from other people which would be to notice. I don't like to do anything that makes it look like I might be doing it for attention. That's no dissing Si by the way, he already said he was just lazy/it's nice not to shave, but I personally would worry that people were thinking "he's just done it to draw attention to himself" or simply not like the comments.

Si.

I think beards can be rather attractive, the only sort I don't like the look of are the big bushy ones. A neat one, like a goaty beard, does look quite dashing.

If we didn't have a wedding to go to this weekend, I'd ask Si to keep growing the beard! I don't know if I like it. I might do, I might not, I'd have to 'Road Test' it.

I think beards can work, but there's a huge difference between having an unkempt bush on your face and a neatly trimmed suave and sophisticated number. Rufus Wainwright has grown a beard and it looks pretty good.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'd have to 'Road Test' it.
    Oh my!

I like the "unkempt" look. In other words, I don't mind a sort of untamed "rough" look, but I don't like anything too trimmed or stylised. I can't STAND 'goatees' they just make a bloke look...well, like a goat.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Put up a photo of the beard for us, Si!

I like beards - they hide fat.

I believe there might be a photo later on, if you're lucky...

Si xx

I've been growing a beard since I turned 33 last year.
    I have always trimmed at the sides and it did go "Islamic" for a while!
    People stopped shouting "queer" at me in the street after I grew it, but sadly they now think I'm a psychopath?
    Can I put a pic up of me with a beard? Can I? Can I?

Go on! We'll show off our beards with pride!

Si xx

This is a picture of me the morning after a night out in Wolverhamptoon recently.
    I MUST STRESS that that thing in the corner of my mouth is NOT a coldsore it is the way the moustache part of my beard curls up when I've eaten and slept on it!

On of the great things about being off work over the summer is not needing to shave every day.
    However, after a good 6-7 days of not shaving I find
    1. it becomes very itchy
    2. there is an outburst of gingeryness
    3. Mrs M starts waving sharp knives at me

BUT shaving off a week's worth of facial fungus is very satisfying - your skin suddenly feels nice and cool, and you seem to get a smoother result than you do shaving every day.

Can't stand 'fancy' beards though - like that nerk on the Gillette advert at the moment. I have a nasty urge to snip a prominent bit of hair off just so they would have to start all over again. The other one that I think looks odd is beard but no moustache.
    Bazinga !

Dino's beard is a beard and a half!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post

1. it becomes very itchy
    2. there is an outburst of gingeryness
    3. Mrs M starts waving sharp knives at me

1. That's why I always shave the sides and try to keep cheeks as smooth as possiblr
    2. Used to know someone in school with that sort of beard, He embraced it!
    3. Yeah, I'm single so I suppose I'm doing myself no favours in the long run, but the Ladies like it! Well some complement...

Does Si now have a sort of Ainley look going on? We MUST have photographs!

Jesus had a beard! And so did Santa Claus. However the Master makes them a little evil, as does Johannes Kepler.

Moustaches though have a proved track record of evil - Hitler, Stalin, Saddam Hussein and Blakey from On The Buses.

Seriously though I always wanted a beard as late teen/early 20s. However I seemed to lack the required hormones. Not shaving for about 2-3 weeks would cause little in the way of a beard, and indeed that kind of disturbing hillbilly look.

However I had my leg in a cast for a while in 3rd year at Uni, and shaving was impossible, and then there it was!

I love my goatee beard - although unlike Paul I'm not allowed to shave mine off. I used to every 2 years just to see myself "naked". Beards aren't an easy option esp a goatee - you still have to shave and keep it in shape, and try and keep it clipped short regularly (beard trimmer or haircutting sissors).

As I'm getting older as well, the hair on there is getting greyer faster than my hair head. This is a problem as grey hair isn't as kind of springy and lush, so it means it's a bit stiff and wirey, needing good care, and frequent conditioning to avoid the feeling like you're got a brillo pad stuck on your face.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Oh and according to the rules of sci-fi parallel worlds, there must be one out there where I didn't end in a cast and grow a beard ... meaning I'm that parallel world's evil duplicate. Yay!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I had one in the space year 2001 so I did. It was a right bitch to shave off though.

And we don't want it opened up again, do we Basil.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

No you don't dear.

You're only single once...

Si.

Moustaches though have a proved track record of evil - Hitler, Stalin, Saddam Hussein and Blakey from On The Buses.

Well mine has gone and it's good to have my smooth face back! Photos were taken though and will appear... sometime!

Si xx

That's one hell of a beard, Aaron! But where's the rest of your hair gone!?