View Poll Results: Which series was your favourite?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Welcome aboard Miss Jones!" Series 3 for me

2 13.33%
  • "I'm not mating with you sunshine!" Series 4 is best

13 86.67%

Default Tennant's Twosome

Series 3 and series 4 of the new series have divided opinion- from whether people prefer to Martha to Donna or which series had the most disappointing finale, the two most recent series of the show have attracted a range of opinions.

But what are yours? Did you admire series 3 with its range from the Moon to the end of the universe? Or was series 4 more your cup of tea with its trips to the Ood Sphere and the Shadow Proclaimation?

You tell me which one you like best, and why. Go on I dare yer!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

For me personally, Series 4 was the best to date, and New Who in general got better as it went/goes along.

I also think Donna is the best companion since Barbara, where-as Martha never really made us love her enough, plus the Series 3 finale (silly smug Master and cop-out ending) was the worst one of the lot.

Si.

Unusually (well, ish) I disagree almost entirely with Mr Hunt (sorry Mr Hunt)!

For me, season 3 was the most consistently 'good' of the New Seasons so far. Freema probably isn't as good, or as varied, an actress as either Billie P or Catherine T, and she hasn't really lived up to her 'guest star' role in Torchwood, or in season 4 - BUT, BUT, in season 3 she was just spot on, making Martha as worthy a companion as Rose, and (for me at least) instantly allaying any fears that the show would suffer post-Billie.

As for the finale, although Stolen Earth is a superb episode, Journey's End is one which is more an 'event' than a solid tale - and it consequently pales with each rewatching. For once, I have to agree with the 'RTD can't do endings' crowd, and the destruction of all the Daleks (again) is for once nonsensical and unexplained. Conversely, I found the Master 3-parter utterly compelling, and although in places really very dark (the image of a tortured Doctor at the start of the final episode is really grim for example) it's such an entertaining and packed set of episodes, and very distinctive.

What else? Season 4 had the very lame Doctor's Daughter, and the sadly-disappointing Unicorn and the Wasp, neither of which worked for me. Season 3 had the Dalek two-parter which, no, wasn't as good as it could have been, but still entertained me more.

It's all a matter of taste, but personally I enjoyed season 3 a whole lot more than season 4, so it's definitely Martha, Master and "We're on the bloody moon!" for me!!

Oh I loved "Unicorn" Andrew! I thought it was written, shot and acted superbly. With the exception of the silly "eat and drink everything" scene.

Si.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it, but it just fell totally flat for me - even down to such things as the effect used to switch into the flashbacks, it was just too cartoony. And the ending was naffly contrived, the bloke playing the Vicar/Wasp wasn't very good...

Mind you, I haven't watched it in a while, so maybe next time it'll impress me more. But for all that, I don't think it's as good as Roberts' The Shakespeare Code anyway, so it's still season 3 for me!

I'm really torn on this. Both seasons have their problems and their strengths.

So Human Nature was brilliant in every way, but so was Silence In The Library.

The Sontaran Strategem was an improvement on Daleks In Manhattan.

Planet of The Ood I'm finding unmemorable, but the same is true of Blink, frankly.

Actually, it's Season 4, I'm pretty sure. The might of Turn Left, Silence In The Library and Midnight is almost invincible. There's no stories in Season 4 that I particularly think didn't work, but 42 in Season 3 was very weak. Although season 3 has Derek Jacobi as the Master. And the ultimate OH MY GAWD! moment. And John Simm. Umm... Of course, Season 4 gave us the Adipose whereas Season 3 gave us the Judoon. On the Moon. But then there's The Shakespeare Code, which is as good as The Fires Of Pompeii, although Fires of Pompeii is better and an out-and -out all time classic in my book.

I'll get back to you!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's series 4.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Silence in the LIbrary left me a little cold, so maybe that's why I didn't dither over this one at all!

Donna against all my fears not only worked, but became the best companion of all time in my books. Shame really as so much of the series she was being overshadowed by the return of other companions (3 with Martha Jones, 3 with Rose).
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Pip Madeley Guest

Series three gave us some classic episodes (Human Nature/Family of Blood/Utopia/Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords) but series four was really enjoyable and I loved Catherine Tate as Donna - the Martha/Doctor unrequited love thing got very tiring...

Esp so soon after Doctor/Rose.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Series 4 for me. Although I felt that it's format was getting a bit stale, overall it was a much more consistant season for me. There wasn't really a bad story in it, unlike Series 3 which had several. However, the best stories of S3 stand head and shoulders above the best of S4 imo but sadly that season lacked consistency.

I liked both Martha and Donna, so that won't swing my decision any...S3 simply had too many turkeys in it for my liking.

Now I really like Martha (even with the silly infatuation she was lumbered with and the constant reminders of Rose which always meant she was being compared to what's gone on before) and I think she was very good in season 3... but she simply hasn't got the range of material that Donna had through season 4.

Series 3 was pretty good, but its lows were lower than series 4's were and although it's high was higher (with Human Nature/ The Family of Blood) I think Series 4 was far more consistent quality wise- especially its last few episodes were an incredibly solid run of Doctor Who (Turn Left and The Stolen Earth being particularly great). So it's 4 for me.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I see I'm no longer the sole Season 3 voter... who's the other one?

By damn that's a hard question. I'm rewatching S3 at the moment on Saturday nights on Watch (only way it should be done) and it's slightly trashing my memories of it being a "really good season". So far what with carrierbags, dodgy american accents, Martha not finding her feet it's not been as good as I remembered. Aside from Gridlock.

So I'll have to say S4 - for Donna, for the lack of Dobby the House Elf in the finale and the fabulous Turn Left.
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

S4. Series 3 just fell a bit flat. That and Donna rocks. HARD!