Default what sports do you play/have you played?

what sports do you play these days? what have you played in the past?

personally, I've never been particularly serious at any sport. I played for my junior school's 3rd XI hockey team at the age of 13, though.

however, since then... well, i've dabbled in squash, rowing, table tennis, fencing, rugger and footie.

at my senior school, i played badminton, squash and table tennis for my house, as well as coxing our middle school 1st boat in house rowing, too.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

WhiteCrow Guest

I last played Rugby when I was 20.

Recently at 35 I took it up again.

OUCH!!!

played a couple of games of football for my junior school and repsented them in the local inter school sports and chess(if that counts as a sport).

Also represented by cub group in a swimming and hand ball compertitions and my secondry school at cricket plus I played a few games with a local cricket club/.

I used to play Rugby for my school and also used to play football when I was younger, though I was never that good at it.

I later worked as a Multi-Activity Instructor, doing and teaching Archery, Abseiling, Canoeing, Climbing, Fencing, Rifle Shooting, Orienteering, and a few other outdoor pursuit sports.

I'm now the coach of a Sunday League Football team and will occasionally play during training, mainly in goal, and spend more time shaking my head from the sidelines and wondering what the hell the players are thinking about cos' it certainly isn't Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I used to play Rugby for my school and also used to play football when I was younger, though I was never that good at it.

I later worked as a Multi-Activity Instructor, doing and teaching Archery, Abseiling, Canoeing, Climbing, Fencing, Rifle Shooting, Orienteering, and a few other outdoor pursuit sports.

I'm now the coach of a Sunday League Football team and will occasionally play during training, mainly in goal, and spend more time shaking my head from the sidelines and wondering what the hell the players are thinking about cos' it certainly isn't Football.
    they're probably thinking some thing allong the lines of why am I running around this heap of mud freezing my b*ll*cks off with this mega hang over when I could still be in bed.
    Last edited by Larry; 6th Jan 2007 at 12:26 AM.

WhiteCrow Guest

Wow we're really breaking down barriers and stereotypes here arent we. A few too many people who dropped sports and became TV addicts ... myself included.

Why was it so impossible to keep at sports and stay a Sci-Fi fan?

Maybe we should have a Planet Skaro Track and Field day come the Summer?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Wow we're really breaking down barriers and stereotypes here arent we. A few too many people who dropped sports and became TV addicts ... myself included.

Maybe we should have a Planet Skaro Track and Field day come the Summer?

well it's much easier when your sat in the comfort of your arm chair..

As for a PS track and field day - having met a number of PS members that might be fun to watch..

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I only dropped sports because I badly injured my knee when I was 16

Ant x

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    I only dropped sports because I badly injured my knee when I was 16

Ant x
    well you could still of taken up golf or darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    well you could still of taken up golf or darts.

i've been known to play darts whilst fairly inebriated!

Ant x

----

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    well it's much easier when your sat in the comfort of your arm chair..

As for a PS track and field day - having met a number of PS members that might be fun to watch..
    It's a date then, everyone to turn up in lycra!

i've been known to play darts whilst fairly inebriated!
    I play much better that way, it's the same with pool too. As soon as I see three balls instead of one, I seem to be able to pot them easier.

they're probably thinking some thing allong the lines of why am I running around this heap of mud freezing my b*ll*cks off with this mega hang over when I could still be in bed.
    They're good lads though, they once spent an hour trying to drain water off of the pitch so that they could play, and then the other team arrived and refused to allow the game to go ahead.

They're good lads though, they once spent an hour trying to drain water off of the pitch so that they could play, and then the other team arrived and refused to allow the game to go ahead.

now would'nt you just love to see some of the over paid pampered prima donnas in the premiership be made to do that..

now would'nt you just love to see some of the over paid pampered prima donnas in the premiership be made to do that..
    It would be great, wouldn't it.

Pip Madeley Guest

I was on my school football and cricket teams.

I'm good with balls.

I got put off sport at school....I recall for many of us PE classes were not much fun, I used to dread them coming up. It was always very dictatorial, no option to pick what you wanted to do. I hated team sports the most. Plus there was always all those prats that liked to show off and be a general pain in the arse. Where are they now I wonder? It was probably their glory days But I'm not twisted and bitter! Well maybe slightly

As a student I enjoyed Squash, Swimming, Hillwalking. I hads a lot more fun at Uni as you could choose to do exactly what you wanted and so sport activities were transformed from a dirge to pleasure. Any of you PE teachers out there take note! Not everyone wants to be a gymnast OK!

Now I'm just doing the hillwalking as my main source of exercise.

I've always wanted sport to be a pleasure not competitive. School years certainly left that impression on me. My working life has always had competitive targets so I see leisure activities as an escape from that.

Wayne Guest

*adopts Leela voice:

'Doctor, what is sport?

Never done any. Even at school, everyone else used to wag it for Maths & so on. With me it was always P.E. & double Games on a Friday afternoon. (Well, not always, but as much as i could get away with)
    On Sports Day, i was the only one apart from a couple of fat kids, who never participated.
    Dunno what it is, but i've always had an intense loathing of sports, & hated being forced to do it. Especially team sports.
    Last edited by Wayne; 9th Jan 2007 at 3:31 PM.

Dunno what it is, but i've always had an intense loathing of sports, & hated being forced to do it.
    Does that even include a game of darts or pool down the pub?

Wayne Guest

Does that even include a game of darts or pool down the pub?
    Actually, i have played Darts down the pub many years ago when i was roped into a charity pub crawl where we had to have a drink & throw 3 darts in every pub. Considering we went in about 15/20 pubs it was an 'interesting' experience. *duck! It's funny how halves go down faster than pints.

I have never played pool in my life. Is that some kind of record?
    Last edited by Wayne; 9th Jan 2007 at 5:55 PM.

Is that some kind of record?
    N'ah, it's a game.

Wayne Guest

N'ah, it's a game.
    Sharp!

I used to piss over eveyone at 1500 metres. I was like a flash of light. A few years away from serious running and one tends to become all tits and arse and a truly svelte form is a memory. I still walk everywhere though,and I can still run! I don't do as much jogging as I once did though. I wasn't too bad at high jump either.

Not sure if you'd count them but I have done yoga and fencing, although I'm currently not doing either. Luckily I don't put much weight on so I'm not in imminent danger of busting out of my current size clothes.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Actually I was quite good at long distance running and I always got picked for the scrum in the Rugby but the goals for football...

I represented my school at Cross country running for four years until I discovered smoking. (I dont smoke these days) If I am going to play anything, then I play in goal for our office 5 A Side team. We got through to the quarter finals of the annual knockout competition last summer and hope to go better this year.

Apart from that, I referee under 11's football matches most Sundays.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?