Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

That sounds useful. Any more Apps you recommend? And how do I download them on my PC? Is there a website? Do they go into my Library, like songs?

I've just tried downloading a music video! This is so much fun!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I have! I can now access iTunes too.
    Don't hang about do you?

I think one thing my brother raves about is if you have a wireless modem, you can hook up your iPhone to it, which means you're not running up a bill while you surf from home.

I'm not yet sold on iPhones, mainly cos as said, my brother bores me rigid with his!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

In the PC version of iTunes, go to the iTunes Store and click App Store in the top-left panel. You can then browse by type and each type has a Top 100 paid and free apps as well as all the apps listed by release date or name.

Some you might be interested in (links should open in iTunes) -

Facebook (free)

Twitterfon (free)

Yahoo (free)

Net News Wire (free)

Last.fm (free)

Tune Wiki (free)

App Sniper (59p)
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Well I have contract so unlimited web access for what I pay monthly. In fact,it'd be nice to be able to turn off the requests to connect to my wireless network upstairs!

Si.
    (frpm his iphone!)

You can switch wi-fi off in Settings - a useful thing to do if you're spending a while away from wi-fi and want to save power.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Thanks to the links to the Apps - I've started to download some of them! That said, I don't really think I'm "getting" them yet; I haven't actually found any I can see would be of any use!

Si.

You will. You'll be out and about and will fancy seeing a movie or going to a restaurant. You'll open the relevant app, the GPS will decide where you are and you'll get everything you could possibly need to know about nearby cinemas or restaurants. Moments like that - where everything comes together to help you - are when it all falls into place.

In other news, WinX DVD to iPhone video ripper is now free. I've just been playing with it and it's a really good way to convert DVDs to iPhone format without having to use several programs one after the other.

#dammitbrent

Every one of the 831 songs (so far) on my iPhone now has its own artwork. Get in!

Si.

So you're pleased with your new purchase then, Si?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

No, I think he's absolutely miserable about it
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Those iPhones sound good! I'd love one, but I don't want lumbered with a monthly contract...I'm happy with Pay As You Go.

I know what you mean... But, you pay a certain amount every month with payg. I think it's worth it to have net access on the move. Especially as I'll be using the train a lot in the near future.

Si.

Especially as I'll be using the train a lot in the near future.

Si.
    Does that mean you've got a new job?

It does indeed! I've only just found out this week so I've felt a bit funny about telling everyone (in case I tempt fate and they change their mind at the last minute!) but yes, I'm due to start on Thursday!

Si.

Hooray - I hoped that's what you meant. This thread is full of good news.

#dammitbrent

Captain Tancredi Guest

Hopefully Si's new job isn't as a train driver...

I can see those red lights reflected on my iPhone screen. What's the problem??

Si.

A question about all the cover artwork I've been importing -

Where are these being stored? I assume they're being copied to the Library somewhere like the songs do? They won't all dissapear when I next clear out My Pictures will they?

Do you think iPhone converts them to a standard format/size? If I select a bit of artwork that's very large, is it going to use up loads of space on my iPhone?

Si.

I've felt a bit funny about telling everyone (in case I tempt fate and they change their mind at the last minute!)

Si.
    Whoops - sorry to give the game away like that, then!

But congratulations, nonetheless!

Artwork is stored in iTunes-Album Artwork (music is in iTunes-iTunes Music). It gets stored in weird formats and does seem to be reduced in size. It definitely has nothing to do with My Pictures. You can copy and paste artwork from an image editor if you want to crop them first.

#dammitbrent

I know what you mean... But, you pay a certain amount every month with payg. I think it's worth it to have net access on the move. Especially as I'll be using the train a lot in the near future.

Si.
    I might have a look, then. I'm in the market for a new mobile at the moment, as I gave my daughter my old one after she dropped hers and it stopped working. It's supposed to be just a loan, but I know I'll never see it again. I took my SIM card out of it and put it in a safe place which I've already forgotten!

Conratulations on your new job Si, and new iphone!

Got one mid-june, and it's one of the best purchases I've made.

Just to continue recommendations for apps, if you're still wanting them...one of the best free ones I've found (for someone like ourselves with a liking for tv shows!) is TVGuide.co.uk , not sure how to post links. Very easy to use (you choose which channels it displays - from any available in the UK), the info it shows goes in to far more detail than the Radio Times, or any of the info that Sky or Virgin utilise. More often than not it tells you which season number and episode it is (very useful if you surf to something like ST:TNG, say). It may sound sad (?), but I quite often use it rather than anything 'on screen' as the wi-fi connection sitting at home is very fast....

Another thing that I've really enjoyed using it for is using the internet on it to look up IMDB when watching a film.....when you can't place an actor!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

If you use IMDb a lot then I'd recommend Movie Genie which is a much more user friendly way of finding things on the site. I find it a huge improvement on the regular site - it's actually easier to browse IMDb using Movie Genie than it is to use the full site on a PC.

TVGuide link (to copy a link just right click the app title in iTunes and select "Copy iTunes store URL").

#dammitbrent

Thanks Lissa, I'll check Movie Genie out, and thanks for the info on linking.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I still can't find an App I actually want! TV Guide? I can see why that would be handy, but I don't actually watch much TV. Anything like a measurement converter or train times, well I can just use the relevent internet site from my iPhone browser surely? I thought for a moment that the Tube Map app might be useful, but the thing about tube maps is, there is one at every tube station.

I'm not complaining, I'm quite happy using my phone for twittering, checking PS, Mail and Facebook. But the idea of Apps sounds really great, I just can't think or find a single one that I want!

Si.