Default External Hard Drives

Can anyone recommend a good external hard drive? I'd quite like a portable one, large enough to back up my laptop hard drive and hold all my music.
    Around the £60 mark would be nice.

A lot of them seem very much the same - there should be a good range in places like PC world.

I've bought one this year. They've gone from the type that requires a seperate power cable to ones powered by USB. One problem with USB ones as Si Hunt has put up on another thread is some computers can't power multiple USB devices like that.

But it's a must to have one. If you have a catalogue of digital photos, you're only a nasty virus away from losing years of memories.

The only problem is take care with them, my son dropped ours once, and that was it - kapput. Being so portable it's easy to have an accident with them whilst they're being ported ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Have a look at this - http://www.dabs.com/category/compone...rives/11157-12

Should be good value. You can get a Terabyte (Not to be confused with Terrahawks) for around £60, but it might be better to get a smaller drive with a higher speed / more reliability. Western Digital should be pretty good though.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

I've got a Western Digital 320GB drive and a Seagate 500GB and both of them have been very reliable, no problems at all. Sounds like you only really need a 500GB one, in which case check out Hot UK Deals and see if they have anything there.

Sounds cool. Thanks for the advice everyone.