Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

sadly for me 2007, was to be the first of 3 successive years when a family member died early in the July, we got a call late at night to say my Uncle (my mums brother in law) had suffered a massive heart attack. Although he was 84 years old it still came as a huge shock to us all as he had always been a fairly healthy an active man. He hung on for about a week before he eventualy died with out ever regaining consciousness his death came a couple of days before my birthday a birthday that we both shared.

He was buried on the top of a hill in the cemetry and my abiding memory of that day was while everybody was standing around his grave the heavens opened and there was a torrential downpoor. As I sat in the funeral car with the rain pooring down the wind howling and everybody getting drenched I couldn't help thinking how the old boy was probably up there now having a good laugh.

We travelled around the world to New Zealand at the start of 2008, so spent a hell of a long time on planes. I was very grateful for the new series of Target Audiobooks that had started a regular release schedule at the end of the previous year, as The Giant Robot got through me the trip fairly well between a few fitful naps. Sadly, even the soothing tones of Tom Baker couldn't get me to sleep, so between films I listened and took myself back to my childhood- The Giant Robot being one of the first books I ever bought.

Martin Jarvis' reading of The Dinosaur Invasion was really good too. I saved that for the long train trips around the country and delighted in his wonderfully accurate impressions of the regulars and the guest stars. I'll always associate it now with looking out at the wonderful sights and scenery we saw from the window of the trains and coaches we took as we explored the country.

We were back just in time for the start of series 4 of Doctor Who on the telly. I wondered how well it was going to work with Catherine Tate returning as Donna Noble, but I needn't have worried, she'd won me over half way through Partners in Crime- especially so the miming bit, which was wonderfully done. One of my favourite scenes in the show. We watched Partners in Crime with Richard and Mike in Ipswich, with glasses of champagne. We nearly choked on it though when we saw Rose turn round at the end of the episode. That was a really unexpected surprise. A true jaw dropping moment. Excellent.

We watched the next episode, The Fires of Pompeii with fish and chips and more than a few members of Planet Skaro, after a hard day of recording some audio adventures- Heist! And The Paradise Machine. I remember that being a really happy day, especially so as I heard my script for Heist come together with the actors. It was a really wonderful feeling to hear something go so right so easily. I had a marvellous time putting it all together in the months that followed before letting loose on the thankfully very appreciative PS audience. I've mentioned quite a few times how proud of it I am.

Doctor Who was possibly never quite as popular as it was as the season headed to an end. High ratings, everyone talking about it, and the return of just about everyone for The Stolen Earth/ Journey's End. I think The Stolen Earth is one of my favourite ever episodes. The momentum of it was brilliant, culminating in that cliffhanger that really had everyone guessing what was going to happen. There was a great feeling of anticipation as everyone gathered in our living room for Journey's End and everyone was on a real high throughout the party that followed for my birthday. Excellent!

We went to the proms that summer with my nephew. It was a wonderful experience. We had great seats and depsite the heat all three of us had a great time. My nephew sat spellbound by the music and the monsters that appeared around us, and we all enjoyed Music of the Spheres, especially so when the Doctor's sheet music appeared, as if by magic, through the screen and fluttered down onto the orchestra, quickly followed by the Graske! (or was it the other way round).
    We followed that up with a trip to the Doctor Who Experience which was rather fun. A nice celebration of the four years of New Who. It was good to see some of the props and I remember Luke being unsure of the Slitheen, which was huge, but enjoying the Dalek show. He always liked the Daleks best!

Then, at the peak of his popularity, David Tennant announced he was going. It seemed rather surprising at the time, maybe less so with hindsight. It was oddly, and unexpectedly sad to hear he was going, a feeling which changed over the next year after the less than special Specials and the long, protracted end of the tenth Doctor. I just wanted the new Doctor I suppose. Anyway, David Tennant distinguished himself by being a fantastuic ambassador for the show, and maybe the show will never quite be as popular as it was with him in 2008. Who knows.

The year drew to a close with more PS stories recorded- Curse of Ratanapura and Eye of the Daleks, which I helped Paul to write. I stood down from acting in those two fearing that my meagre talents wouldn't stretch too far and someone other people should have a go at being in them. It was nice to just be able to hear them without hearing my own voice for a change! I was happy to come back and play Daniel in Christmas Spirits, as that was one of my favourite parts. I ended up doing that twice, after some technical hiccups with that play.

So the year drew to a close with The Next Doctor, which was fun but not quite what I hoped for and I looked forward to my 30th year as a fan! (yep that's how behind schedule I am! Ah well!)

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

2008 - the year everything was put into place (ish) for the move to NZ for me.

For me the 4th season really did feel like one of the consistently best series - helped by Donna who I really got to enjoy as a companion.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

2008, my dad died. can't really add any more than that.