Default One favourite song?

Can you narrow your favourite songs down to just one? Is it possible, even, or does it depend on your mood? If you had to name one song that you loved more than any other you'd heard, that people would inevitably think of you when they heard it, what would it be?

I was going to name more than one then, but that would sort of defeat the object. But I could do worse than name "Caroline" by Kirsty MacColl as my favourite song. It brings back memories, it's technically superb (a story of betrayal, honesty and guilt all told in two and a half minutes) and it makes me feel happy, sad and strong all at once. And it's cracking to sing your heart out to.

Si.

Yes I can. It'll be Distant Sun by Crowded House (but if you've paid attention since 2002 you knew that already!) for me. It just means such a lot to me- it sums up so much I'd say about life and love and all that in such a simple, direct but magical way.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Nah, it changes from hour to hour. It was Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order once, long ago.

There probably is a favourite song of mine, but if I try to work it out I'd end up picking something cool rather than my actual favourite. It's very difficult!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Mine hasn't changed since 1975. It's 10cc's I'm Not In Love. It's a technical masterpiece for its time, I know every aaaahhh in that song, It's loads of memories, I'm 19 years old, it's hot summer seventies days, it's unrequited love and it's playing on radio one all the time, and it's no. 1 during Wimbledon fortnight. I played that record to death and still love it.

Probably Baby Plays Around by Elvis Costello from his Spike album. It is just a perfect song! ;-)
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Wow that is so hard. I find a favourite song is a little like falling in love, you find something new, and it's all exciting and passionate and moves you in such a dramatic way. But each time you hear it, it loses its edge a bit, and ends up being just a song you really like over one you feel so passionate about.

But to choose just one song ...

I think it'd have to be a Garbage song (best band ever). "Medication" and "Hammering In My Head" would be contenders.

But "Bleed Like Me" would win by a substantial margin. It's such a very dark, messed up and troubled song. To me it's all about how we're all a little messed up inside, and it leaves different marks on us. You should see my scars.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I'm quite surprised that anybody could name one song, because I can't! I think music taps into whatever mood I'm in, it has a kind of ephemeral quality, if that's the right word. I have days when I think the best song ever written is Kate Bush's Cloudbusting, then in another frame of mind it's Lucretia My Reflection by Sisters of Mercy, and then I'll have other days when I'll listen to Tchaikovsky and wonder why I need anything else in my cd collection. I think this is the strength and beauty of music, that it can reflect and arouse so many different feelings, and it's probably why I'll never be able to choose only one song.

That's probably true, not that I'm a big music 'buff' but there are songs that I really love for a while, then go off a bit. When we first got the Amy MacDonald album we played and played it, and now due to over-familiarity I guess, I kind of inwardly sigh if it gets bunged on the CD player when we're on a long car journey.

But there are also songs that I come back to again and again and find that I still really like - just one example, for years the only ABBA album we had was Super Trouper, and consequently there was probably something like a 15 year gap during which I never once heard Dancing Queen, and then one night I caught that opening slide down the keys (stop me if I'm getting too technical) on the radio and it was just fantastic!

But probably my favourite, favourite song (to answer the question at last!) is one that I first heard probably 20/25 years ago, and which I don't listen to for ages, but then come back to and still love, and it's "Shades of Grey" by the Monkees. It's not, AFAIK, one of their 'big-hitters' and indeed I've only ever heard it on one 'Best Of...' tape released during the 80s. I don't really know why I like it so much - but I guess it's a combination of quite a strong, if sombre, tune coupled with some haunting lyrics, and yes I suppose also the nostalgia of when I first heard it.

Pip Madeley Guest

Bit of a cheat perhaps, but Genesis' In The Cage Medley from the Three Sides Live album sums it up for me - five musicians at the peak of their powers giving it all they've got. PLAY IT LOUD.