Default Most overrated bands and singers ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10595766

An intresting article - of course everyone is going to have some favourites who are on the list, and can take personal offence at.

Then again do you agree with some on the list? Anyone you think has been missed off? [Checks for Stone Roses ...]

If there is one thing people love more than talking about the music they love, it is talking about the music they can't stand.

In a recent online survey NZHerald.co.nz asked readers to nominate singers or bands they considered to be the most overrated in history.

As many emails pointed out, music is all subjective, what is listening heaven to one person can be pure torture to someone else. However, each suggestion garnered the artist or band a vote, and the votes have now been counted.

So which artist has the biggest discrepancy in the global success versus musical talent' ratio? Read on to find out the top 20 most overrated singers and bands in the world according to your suggestions.

20. Lady Gaga: "The likes of Lady Gaga … have considerably lowered the musical standards of a whole generation." – Celine (Remuera)

19. Neil Finn: "Living at a west coast beach doesn't make you a wonderful song writer." – Minnie (Waitakere)

18. Britney Spears: "I don't just want to be one of many people giving her a kick on the way down - but, well, she's always got her knockers." – Justin (New Plymouth)

17. Madonna: "No one wants to see grandma dancing in their beige bloomers please stop." Povi (Huapai)

16. Shihad: "I don't want to seem overly negative here but Shihad couldn't write a decent tune if they were looked in a room with the spirits of Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon." – Johnny (Auckland)

15. Miley Cyrus: "Most pop music is completely overrated, especially teen pop stars that can barely sing like Miley Cyrus." – LC (Auckland)

14. Amy Winehouse: "She's a celebrity not a singer. That's a different thing." – Emily (North Shore)

13. Mariah Carey: "They'll play Mariah Carey in hell – forever." – Ace (Auckland)

12. AC/DC: "I can't take a guitarist seriously who still wears short pants and the singer seems to be doing Donald/Duffy Duck impersonations." – Ray (Auckland Central)

11. Celine Dion: "Should never have been allowed to record any music – ever." – Karlos (Kaiapoi)

10. Nickleback: "Hard to believe they have sold so many albums. I don't like to think why that might be because it undermines my faith in music and humanity." – Rock Pirate (Coromandel)

9. Abba: "The music of Abba is a disease that the World Health Organisation should be trying to rid the planet of - like small pox." – Ewan (Christchurch)

8. The Beatles: "Octopuses Garden, Yellow Submarine, Penny Lane, When I'm 64, Maxwell's Silver Hammer. so much awful music in such a short space of time." – Marcus (New South Wales)

7. Pink Floyd: "Turgid song construction, ponderous guitar solos, unemotional singing and a band built round an image of visuals and great light shows." – Mr Sensitive (Auckland)

6. Nirvana / Kurt Cobain: "Songs have all the same quiet loud song structure, mumbled lyrics, mournful wailing. Then, when he realised he couldn't do anything else, Cobain topped himself to secure his status as a music icon." – Up to Eleven (Wellington)

5. Michael Jackson: "Michael Jackson, his albums maybe best selling of all time but then that just shows how most people have crap taste in music. His other achievements are inventing the moonwalk and making MTV what it is today, thanks Mike." – Adam (Kingsland)

4. Oasis: "Did not shed a tear over their recent split and it would be appreciated if neither brother would torture us with a solo album." – JD (Manurewa)

3. Dave Dobbyn: "If I hear Loyal one more time I think I'll vomit." – Doctor (Whangarei)

2. Coldplay: "World's most boring band. How they ever convinced people that they were an interesting band to listen to and see live is beyond me." – Chris (Wellington)

1. U2: "Rubbish. Joshua Tree was good, but they should have stopped there. Saw them four years ago in London and it was more a political rally than a concert." – Andy (Waikato)
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I agree with U2, but putting Neil Finn on the list is just madness! The man is, if anything, underrated. Maybe he's just overrated in NZ? The rest of the world underapreciate him!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I agree with U2, but putting Neil Finn on the list is just madness! The man is, if anything, underrated. Maybe he's just overrated in NZ?
    I think it's the equivalent of trying to be a singer songwriter in Liverpool and people just not shutting up about John Lennon.

I had to look up "Dave Dobbyn" myself.

But yeah - there was something to cause offence to everyone there. But it's to be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Never heard of Dobbyn, or Shihad.....

Spot on with The Beatles, Pink Floyd & Coldplay though.

I'd probably add Muse & Bruce Springsteen to the list.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I'm picturing Dave Dobbyn as a pantomine horse and is for that reason the greatest act ever.

Oh and think lists like this are largely pointless. Just put together to annoy people.

Wow. People slagging of Madonna, Mariah, Britney and Jacko. I've never seen such amazingly original opinions.

Well they do say New Zealand is a couple of years behind the rest of the world...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Wow. People slagging of Madonna, Mariah, Britney and Jacko. I've never seen such amazingly original opinions.
    You should see the people who praise them for even more amazingly original opinions.

13. Mariah Carey: "They'll play Mariah Carey in hell – forever." – Ace (Auckland)

They ain't that sick down there!!
    'In search of some rest, in search of a break
    From a life of tests, where something's always at stake
    Where something's always so far...'

Maybe I'm getting old but I can't be bothered to get worked up by this sort of thing anymore.
    I don't like Mariah Carey. I think she's awful and can't stand her music. So I don't listen to it or buy anything by her, so therefore she has no relevence to my life. There are lots of people for whom Mariah does mean something and they enjoy listening to her music and I think good for them. Let them buy her cd's. It really makes no difference to me.

I just can't be bothered with forcing my tastes on people as if they're fact. That's why this lists are worthless.

A lot of the 'most over rated misicians' thing is relative though, surely. I'm surprised one of my all time favourite bands isn't in there, KISS. While being the first to admit that to say they're musically not very good is giving them more credit than they deserve, they are among the greatest showmen in the music world, and you know you're going to see something special when you but tickets for that particular show.

Most of those in the list though I have little protest over. Some have been elevated to godlike status based on earlier outings, and have been trading on it for over a generation. Neil Finn surprises me, but I suppose it's an antipodean list, so probably weighted that way.