Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Captain Tancredi Guest

Or a very bad hand in Scrabble.

Pip Madeley Guest

They tried their best, but the inevitable has happened:

ChoicesUK calls in administrators

Entertainment retailer ChoicesUK is to call in the administrators - leaving hundreds of jobs under threat. The Peterborough-based firm said it had made the decision after attempts to refinance or sell the group had failed. ChoicesUK employs about 1,700 staff at its 170 stores across the UK as well as its website.

In April, the group warned the tough DVD market meant it was expecting bigger-than-expected losses despite a huge cost-cutting push. The group is currently in the middle of a restructuring drive which aimed to save up to £6m. The measures had led to the loss of 250 jobs since September and the closure of a number of loss-making stores.

The group reported pre-tax losses of £2.6m for the six months to February, and in April warned it was reconsidering its options after its financial position had declined still further. "Until very recently, the directors were hopeful that a successful outcome would result," the group said in a statement.

"However, despite extensive negotiations, it has not been possible to reach an agreement on terms acceptable to all parties. Therefore, the directors have decided that it is in the best interests of the creditors to seek to appoint administrators as soon as possible," it added.

The company is expected to continue trading as normal at its stores and website until administrators are appointed and decide what action to take. The group's shares were suspended at 10.25 pence on the London market following the news. At the end of 2003 they were trading at 240p.

ChoicesUK has blamed surging piracy for its problems, with its DVD rental business hardest hit by the availability of pirated new titles long before their legitimate release date. Meanwhile, mounting competition - from both supermarkets and digital music sales - has also taken its toll.

Hmm- I just got an email from Choices about their latest amazing offers. Perhaps I should buy them all up?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Hmm- I just got an email from Choices about their latest amazing offers. Perhaps I should buy them all up?
    same here

All Benson's World customers are getting this sad email today.

Dear Customer,

After over 20 years of trading, we are disappointed to inform you that Ron Benson has announced the closure of "Bensons World" with immediate effect.

We have been in the mail order business, and subsequently online business, for over 20 years. More recently, due to the erosion of price and subsequently our operating margin, it has become more and more difficult to provide a good level of personal service and a competitive price.

If you still have an outstanding order with us we will still be fulfilling your order as best as we can. If you would like to cancel your order then please email us at enquiries@bensonsworld.co.uk.

Customer Services will still be available until the end of February so if you have any queries please feel free to email us.

We thank you for your support and continued custom over the years.

Many Thanks,

Ron Benson
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Pip Madeley Guest

Can't say I've ever ordered from them, myself. Sad to see them go though.

Yeah I just got that too, I'm sorry to hear it - I made the point in the Time Meddler thread that I'm wary of HMV who make give the highest commision to affiliates, great short term but not good in my view long term

Pip Madeley Guest

Well it's great as far as I'm concerned, it's keeping Planet Skaro going.

Wayne Guest

HMV still aren't as high as Amazon anyway on the affiliate thingy anyway.

Though if it's a choice between HMV & another e-tailer for something at near enough the same price, then i tend to use the other e-tailer. More because HMV's Customer Service is non-existent than anything else, in case of a problem, as i've found out from personal experience.

As for Bensons World, It's a pity there's one option less, but i must admit i've not bought anything from them for a good couple of years. Mainly because everyone else has been cheaper.

Well I just had a clash with our "top" financial adviser today who was calling one of my clients and pushing for business despite the client saying I'm his adviser (since 1992 I hasten to add). Mr "top adviser" sees commission opportunities I've not exploited (I don't feel it's appropriate) and was moving in on my client. He aggresively moves in for the kill while I aim to nurture for long term benefits plus he won't deal with the "lesser" clients, those with less money. So if he takes all my top clients I won't survive to provide my kind of service.

The point I'm making here is that as affilate customers (Planet Skaro) it's not always right to go for those who will give us ten pieces of gold now and screw us later. I'm afraid now I know HMV's tactics they'll be getting less business from me. Another reason I say this is that when things go wrong I found their service levels substandard to likes of Choices, Play and dvd.co.uk. I'll be flying the flag for those firms

I also like to support the underdog - it's the nature of the beast!

Edited to add: I see Wayne has just verified my view on HMV service.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Another reason I say this is that when things go wrong I found their service levels substandard to likes of Choices, Play and dvd.co.uk. I'll be flying the flag for those firms
    Absolutely. HMV don't even respond to an e-mail at all in my experience. Let alone look at what your problem is. Even top dog e-tailer Amazon have always responded. Not i've had a problem more than twice.
    In fact, aside from two seperate issues with HMV, i've only ever had a problem with something that can definitely be placed at door of other the e-tailer twice in 2 years. Once with Play, & once with Sendit, when they sent the wrong item. Any other problems i've had have always been down to the postal services in the end.

Captain Tancredi Guest

It's over six months now since I bought a CD or DVD online.

The main reason, it has to be said, is to stop myself building up silly credit card balances buying stuff I don't need- it's very easy when everything's laid out in front of you and there's nothing to stop you, to decide to buy everything in sight because it might be interesting some day.

Well I got the wrong item from HMV just before Christmas. My item was £50 (down from £100)and I got a £12 item. I had to wait at least 20 minutes, I'm not over-estimating on the phone. OK I accept Christmas is a busy time. But when I got through in the phone despite explaining what had happened I was told the order had been fulfilled. It was eventually agreed that I did not recieve what I asked for. I returned the item I was sent as requested. However I did not get my item replaced which had now risen in cost, instead a refund.

What bothered me was questioning the fact that I told them they sent me the wrong item and secondly not bothering their arse for losing me the special deal. The other etailers have never questioned me on the item like this and accepted my word and fully replace or refund. No I don't want HMV to dominate the etailer market on DVDs - no way!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    it's very easy when everything's laid out in front of you and there's nothing to stop you, to decide to buy everything in sight because it might be interesting some day.
    Sounds like you're describing Milky there

Oi!

My "DVDs Still To Watch" pile was down below 150 for the first time since 2004 the other day...

until I bought another 30 discs yesterday (Ultimate Hammer Box Set, Torchwood and Beneath the Surface).

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I had to wait at least 20 minutes, I'm not over-estimating on the phone.
    You were lucky. I spent longer than that on 2 occasions trying to get through to an actual person, after i found it wasn't possible to actual cancel an order on-line myself.
    In the end i e-mailed them with some bumf about my statutory right to cancel an order which they hadn't fulfilled after 3 weeks, even though it was listed as 'In Stock' at the time ordered, & then apparently out of stock after i'd ordered it, (i too wanted it before christmas for my sister) & i also removed all my information & card details etc from my account settings.
    I never actually got a reply from them, but they did cancel the order in the end, & i didn't use them again for months until i was tempted back by something that had a considerable saving. But even now, i don't use them unless i consider it something that's worth it.
    I ordered the item for my sister from Amazon & paid about £3 more, & it arrived in 2 days.

Previous to this incident, i'd waited 6 weeks for a CD that was also supposedly 'In Stock' at the time i ordered it. At least with the other e-tailers 'In Stock' actually seems to mean 'In Stock'.
    Last edited by Wayne; 1st Feb 2008 at 8:08 PM.

I'm going to think up a suitable pseudonym for HMV like FORD (Fixed Or Repaired Daily)

Wayne Guest

extra bit of detail edited in.

How about Harvest More Victims.

Sounds good to me - almost like a movie for the DWA thread

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm the good looking one

buy from HMV! They pay my wages!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    They pay my wages!

Pip Madeley Guest

Come on Wayne, isn't it obvious, Ant works part-time at HMV...

Wayne Guest

You never know with these Tory boys. He could've been chairman of the board or something.