Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    . Sadly, in recent years, HMV's prices jumped so much that they well well above the price of their competitors and just didn't compete with online sales.
    Well Ive already said earlier in this thread about the NCIS series 1 to 6 box set in HMV being £100 more expensve then it is on Amazon. When you look around HMV there are many more examples of season box sets having a huge differences in price between them and Amazon. When you then add that to people can't hbe bothered to travel into town when they know you can order a dvd fo a cheaper price and having it within a couple of days it's ittle wonder why HMV have gone under.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Blockbuster has gone now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21047652

It's a bad, bad week for the High Street.

So it has gone I only half heard the end of the report on the news last week - again a victim of the online buying culture - but in this case I think Sky Virgin, Net Flicks and BT are partley to blame for Blockbusters demise.

A lot has been said about HMV being too "high"... but it's more the inconsistency than anything else. There's nothing more frustrating, and therefore more unfriendly as a consumer, than seeing the CD you want for £5 more than something else for no reason. I went into HMV at the weekend and headed for the John Lennon re-issues - £15 each. There were loads of other CD's, many old, that were a lot cheaper. So to me it was just inexplicable. It seemed to sum up in an instant what the store's problem is.

Si.

Comparing HMV with Amazon is hardly comparing like for like, and anyone expecting them to be able to compete is in lala land. However, comparing HMV with its own stores- indeed, within the same store- is very telling.

What you say there though Si is very pertinent. When we saw Dylan Moran DVDs at £19 each, but as a two DVD set for a tenner we laughed. When I see the Indiana Jones box set on blue ray for £25 but at £49 for DVD I shake my head. And the discrepancy in price on reissues released by the same band by the same label on the same day, when other local shops had them at the same price was just ridiculous.

Hopefully the new administrators will at least address some of those issues, and that just may get people back.

Surely they can't be any less organised!