Default Microsoft Update 3: Virus 0

Hmmm ...

A bit of an annoying weekend today.

Like anyone who owns a computer I know the risks of viruses. I've been hit by them before, occasional ones which cripple the computer. But I've always been able to recover my computer from them.

Windows Updates are another matter. Friday for the 3rd time in 10 years, a Windows Update has succeeded where the most malicious software failed - totally fragmenting the installation so not even safe mode would work, leaving me to reinstall my machine from scratch.

Thankfully I learned long ago to keep personal files on a separate D drive to my main C drive for such eventualities, so the damage has been minimal, but there's a lot of programs to put back on there to get it the way I like it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Pip Madeley Guest

I don't bother with Windows Updates since they caused my DVD drive to stop working.

I know it's a risk but I have the necessary firewall/anti-virus software running.

Looking through the internet, I'm not alone in my Windows Update woes, with a lot of people having gone through something similar.

I kind of regret though I didn't have an XP license to hand though. I could have done with downgrading my license from Vista if I'd thought about it.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......