Default Desperately seeking Susan

"A bored suburban housewife, seeking adventure to her life, accidentally gets hit on the head, wakes up with amnesia, and is mistaken for a free-spirited New York City drifter named Susan...."

Sounds like a ludicrous basis for a movie (and I suppose it is) but "Desperatly seeking Susan" remains, in my view, one of the very best new wave films of the 1980s, and one that did actually become a big success (trailing 4th in the highest box office earners of 1985).
    It was also (and no laughing at the back) the film that changed my life. Ok, so that's perhaps an exageration. Perhaps it's more true to say that it made me aware of some possibilities in life. I used to be Roberta; shy, unsure and meek. I became Susan; potentially more colourful and reckless. Over recent years I've probably become Roberta again- but Roberta as she is at the end of the film. I know myself and I want more.

The fact that I'm talking about a film in a very personal context tells you how well I regard this film. The wonderful Susan Siedelmann directed this (she went on to direct "Cookie" and episodes of "Sex in the city") and it captures the mid '80s bohemian scene of New York so well. It's full of great chracters, falling in and out of situations...and love. It was also the first vaguely art house picture I'd ever seen (albeit one that secured a healthy $4m budget), and the first film I'd seen that was 'adult' (the 15 certificate was introduced the year "Susan" was released).
    When Susan escapes onto the balcony to escape her husband's promotional party for his business, she looks out over the glittering NYC skyline. We can still hear the voice-over from the TV advert in the background."...All your fantasies can come true" as Roberta hopes that they can. That scene still gives me serious goosebumps.

It's only a film, I know, but very few films are truly about people's secret desires, and even fewer deal with the Roberta in us all, who yearns for adventure and an escape from her humdrum life and to become all she wants to be....only to realise she is the happiest when she finally sees herself through the eyes of one who truly loves her.

Add to that some great seedy NYC locations, great performances (especially from Rosanna Arquette and Aiden Quinn) and there you have it. A screwball comedy with a quirky identity of it's own and a bit of depth.

Sadly it remains an oddball classic sadly overshadowed by one of it's co-stars- Madonna. As great as the singer is in this, she has a lousy track record in film. That may lead some people not in the know to the conclusion that "Despertely seeking Susan" is in the same vien as "Who's that girl?" or "Shanghai surprise". It isn't.

It's an underated classic of the 1980s.
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 3rd Jan 2007 at 6:40 PM. Reason: I had to do a stint at "The Magic Club"
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

I've seen and enjoyed "Who's That Girl" but still never seen "Susan". I taped it once but never got round to watching it. I'll get the DVD one day when it's 2.84.

Wow, I've really sold it to you.

I might stretch to 3.99 at a push.

I have to say (fighting my corner here) that I've nevr read many bad reviews of "Susan" over the years. I certainly don't think of it as a Madonna film (she's not really in it much).

Captain Tancredi Guest

The local group I belonged to in the 1980s used to do a comedy videozine (i.e. re-edited clips, voiceovers etc) every few months. One time they did a clip from Desperately Seeking Susan, which turned out to be William Hartnell from 'The Keys of Marinus' saying "Well, I think we'd better go and find Susan"...

I've got a bad feeling that actually happened just the way you described.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    I might stretch to 3.99 at a push.
    So close!

I don't know why I was tempted to talk about "Susan" again, but I've just watche dit for the first time in years and it's really cheered me up. I forgot quite how well directed it is; I love the way certain scenes really blend into others (for example, a character twigling her toes in one scene cuts to a drum roll in a magic club in another...) It's a very quirky little film and full of great quotes.

I just wish there was someone on here to share them with! Where's Hetty gone?!
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 6th Jan 2007 at 5:07 PM. Reason: Got out of the groove

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    I have to say (fighting my corner here) that I've nevr read many bad reviews of "Susan" over the years. I certainly don't think of it as a Madonna film (she's not really in it much).
    Oh the humanity - it's the film which made Madonna think she could act.

Coming soon "why Shanghai Surprise is worth another look" nooooooo!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    I don't know why I was tempted to talk about "Susan" again, but I've just watche dit for the first time in years and it's really cheered me up. I forgot quite how well directed it is; I love the way certain scenes really blend into others (for example, a character twigling her toes in one scene cuts to a drum roll in a magic club in another...) It's a very quirky little film and full of great quotes.

I just wish there was someone on here to share them with! Where's Hetty gone?!
    Actually when I first saw it I thought Rosanna Arquettes character was ever so annoying and self obsessed, giving up a secure life (though dull) on a whim.

These days though I think there's more to life than security, which alters my perception of the film.

Is there is a bit of prejudice against this film then, because it has Madonna in it? I think it's a better film than some contemporary efforts like "The Breakfast club" (as good as that is) but I expect they would be generally better regarded?