Thread: N97 or iPhone?

Default N97 or iPhone?

It is comming up to the time when I can upgrade my phone and I am a little torn about which phone to get so I was hoping that you might be able to help me choose. The choices that I have narrowed myself down to is either staying with my current provider and getting a Nokia N97 or trying to get onto 02 and get an iPhone.
    The N97 has a few things going fo it with the keyboard being seperate from the screen, touch screen and having an expandable memory. But there is one thing that I read about it is that it has a 32GB intenal memory, now I was wondering if that is really true because it seems very large to me.
    The iPhone is the iPhone it has an iPod and other stuff and is easily connectable with iTunes.
    The main things that I do use my phone for is phone calls(obviously), listening to music/ps audio, checking my emails and going on the internet.
    So if anyone can help me I will be very greatful.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

I think the biggest thing is the iPhone has just so many accessories and software for it, that if you're talking similar price, I'd lean that way.

I decided this year to get a new phone, and lent towards the LG Viewty as a touchscreen phone/decent camera/MP3 player/web server, and it was a good deal cheaper than an iPhone. But I took to the Viewty much better than I thought, and I think I'd have found the extra features of the iPhone (esp the software) a worth the extra money. Ooops! Esp as the money I spent on separate Viewty + new MP3 player is close to the cost of an iPhone.

Nevermind. Last time I bought a phone I didn't warm to it, and never had it on me ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

iPhone! I doubt the detachable keyboard is much of an advantage - the iPhone 'virtual keyboard' is the same accept on the screen, and is perfectly fine. The Nokia keyboard is still going to be small to get your fingers on so I doubt there's much advantage. And the iPhone has a touch screen as well, of course.

I saw an advert for the Nokia advertising 'can play music!', 'touch screen!' and so on as it's selling points and it seemed like clutching at straws and a mite pathetic - your rival has an entire web browser system, iPod, address book and camera linked in with one another - is that all you got?

The thing I like best about my iPhone is the way everything is integrated. An address book entry on 'Dad' for example holds both his telephone numbers and his e-mail address. I can take a photo on the camera, link in to the address book and instantly e-mail it to him, then post it to Facebook.

Si.

Default Phone or Laptop?

I have been giving this a lot of thought and for ages I have been looking for a phone that can do what a computer can do, so the other day I thought why not try and see if you can change your phone contract into a mobile broadband one. Even if I can't I am considering concelling my mobile contract and trying for a mobile broadband one and going to pay as you go for my phone.
    Now the main question is what make of laptop do I go for?
    I have looked on the PC World website and they have quite a few good laptops available on the mobile broadband deals and the best one I have seen is a Compaq one but looking at all the specs makes my head spin and sometimes I don't know what brands are good or not. I am mainly looking for a laptop that can play and burn cd's and dvd's, that is good at doing word prosessing and all the office bits and pieces and that is good for doing mainly audio editing (because I want to learn to be able and mix audio) and mybe video editing as well. So if anybody can help me I with any sugestions I will be very greatful.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

If the bastards had been willing to transfer me over to their new web client agency, I'd have been able to give you some decent info about Nokia's N97. As it is I've lost practically any interest I had in their entries to the market, so I'm kinda twiddling around saying "I can't help you".

What I can say is that the 5800 was more along the lines of Nokia's rival to the iPhone, and the best bet for a fair comparison between the two. I gathered the N97 was more a case of Nokia finally making a phone with a side-dropping QWERTY keyboard (something every other major mobile phone manufacturer had been doing for ages), though don't much else aside from it probably being more of a heavily multimedia phone (as is generally the case with their N-series).

Whilst in the past I'd heard of problems with the iPhone, the message I've got from most people recently (Mr Hunt included) is that it does a quality job with nice features to boot, and the svailability of all sorts of applications suggests it could be tailored to do a lot of things you might want a pocket computer for.
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

Isn't the iPhone restricted to O2 though?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberchris35 View Post
    Now the main question is what make of laptop do I go for?
    Hi Chris - in Si Hunts original post which became iPhones I raved about netbooks - the ADVENT is the one I've got using an XP system. LINUX is a nice system, but you can do so much more with an XP one, including tailoring it to your needs.

So something like ...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

And you could possibly still buy a phone like mine - LG Viewty for £100 - which you can plug in and use as a modem.

All told about £300, same price as an iPhone, but a lot more fun.

I also believe with Vodafone now you can buy internet packages as part of pay as you go, so you say use £10 a month to get X broadband access.

Hope that helps.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by Lord President View Post
    Isn't the iPhone restricted to O2 though?
    soon to be available on Orange, too!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

After christmas, with Vodafone starting to sell them just before.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild