Thread: Buskers ...

Default Buskers ...

I've been meaning to start this thread a while ago.

Coming into Wellington station every morning, you're assured a busker or two when you arrive. I've started turning off my MP3 player now in anticipation.

The quality is extremely variable, and you start to notice some of the same faces, like a very adept rhythm and blues guitarist who does a superb Shadows cover. Mainly it's very good, but even the embarrasing rubbish is worth a listen.

But I always kind of like buskers. Obviously London was one of the best places on the planet, and I always used to enjoy an opportunity to go into the city for the good, the bad and the ugly you'd see.

What about you? What's the best/worst you've seen? Do you enjoy, or do you want to occasionally use the Underground without someone murdering The Streets of London for spare change?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

The ebst ones I've ever heard were outside the Centre Pompidou in Paris is January 1992. Wewere on a school trip and let loose in the city during the evenings, and there were these two buskers sat outside the centre playing Simon and Garfunkel songs to a huge crowd. Everyone was singing along to The Boxer... it was quite amazing to see these two buskers holding the attention of a big crowd.

We gave them lots of francs!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

In the next town there seems to be two buskers with accordians just bft-bft-bft-bft-bft-bffffting away. And they both wear berets for authentic flavour.
    I never pay them! (and at least they are at opposite ends of the high street)
    But I always make the effort to put spare change in the box of a street performer with a white painted face who stands on something with a big white sheet draped over his body and the stand. He doesn't say or do anything except look amazing! I admire that kind of effort.
    Not seen an acoustic guitar busker for sometime though?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    In the next town there seems to be two buskers with accordians just bft-bft-bft-bft-bft-bffffting away. And they both wear berets for authentic flavour.
    There was one near the Terrace here this lunchtime. Awful.

One problem is in NZ we tend to use plastic for everything. You buy a magazine at $2, and the norm is to "switch" or EFTPOS (as it's called) it.

The consequence is you never tend to have much cash on you. I try and give one of two accoustic guitarists some change occasionally, cos they are damn good. If I saw either as an act at a club/event, I'd be quite happy, so it's nice to just be able to enjoy.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

On the way back to the train station, same accordian player - it's like I'm being stalked!

This morning in Wellington station and never-before-seen were a group from the NZ Choir singing acappella - and very good they were too. They cheered up what had been a miserable journey - the type where you get about 100m outside the station in your train and then it has to wait 10 minutes to do the last bit before pulling into the platform.

Special mention today at Wellington station has to go to a group from the Green Party doing protest songs using what I think was supposed to be a man in an Orangutan costume.

Needless to say their heart was in the right place, but they were bloody awful.

Just found out that to busk anywhere in Wellington you have to apply for a license (which is free) and there are only certain areas you can do it ...

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/servic...erf/index.html

Pip Madeley Guest

5 consecutive posts in a row - is that a new PS record?

I don't mind buskers, it's charity muggers, Big Issue sellers and drunken/drugged up tramps that get my goat - working in Manchester every day it's hard to walk 100 yards without getting hassled for your money.

Do you ever feel like standing there, tapping your foot with a Simon Cowel like expression on your face before announcing loudly "Well I'm sorry, you're not going through" and stalking off?
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Quote Originally Posted by Kinggoose View Post
    Do you ever feel like standing there, tapping your foot with a Simon Cowel like expression on your face before announcing loudly "Well I'm sorry, you're not going through" and stalking off?
    Maybe because Wellington buskers are licensed, they are mainly pretty good, with the exception of Accordian Man.

You get used to seeing them as well.

Someone was doing a very good Shadows-y version of the Tony Hart music, which is wierd to hear, just reminds me of my childhood.

Ironic to think it was also used in the Deer Hunter wasn't it? Imagine if the two things had somehow got merged "here is some artwork we were sent in after someone lost at Russian roulette - notice the interesting spray patterns the blood makes" ...