Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I've always had a thing for looking back over this thread. On the old PS it used to be pinned to the top of the board as a permanent feature to be updated by new posters. Would it be too much to ask the same is done with this one- I think a top 10 Dr. Who thread is quite an importnant on-going reference on a Dr. Who forum. What do you think?
    Consider it done!

Si.

Wayne Guest

The Devil in the Dark
    The Enemy Within
    Balance of Terror
    Return of the Archons
    The Corbomite Manouver
    The Ultimate Computer
    Space Seed
    City on the Edge of Forever
    Amok Time
    Mirror Mirror

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Consider it done!

Si.
    Thanks Si! Hopefully it'll continue to be updated.

I tried to do an updated Top 10 for you, but I'm afraid I just can't fit the new series episodes into my Top 10 of old series ones! It can't be done! It's not adding the good ones that's the problem, it's trying to compare the good old ones with the lesser new ones. "Image of the Fendahl" or "Aliens of London"? The excellent production values of even the worst new series episodes tend to challenge the appeal of some of the mid-table old series ones and you wonder if the two are just incompatible on a rating scale.

Si.

It does say top ten of the original series Si, you're OK!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think Si may be referring to my post, Si, when I floated the idea of changing this to a Top Ten stories from 1963-2008.

Oh. I didn't read that, obviously!

Si xx

I think it would be interesting to see whether any New Series stories make it into anybody's Top Ten - or indeed whether the Top Tens have changed since last time. I know what Si means about modern production values making even utter dross look a lot better than many an old school story, but then I don't know we choose our favourites on just appearances do we? Fandom has never been known for it's rationality and all that, even some appalling-looking stories can be great fun to watch (hello Twin Dilemma). So without further ado, my Top Ten last time (on page 1 if you're interested) was:

1. Castrovalva
    2. Logopolis
    3. Mawdryn Undead
    4. The Happiness Patrol
    5. The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    6. The Mutants
    7. The War Games
    8. The Ribos Operation
    9. Time and the Rani
    10. Full Circle

I think now it would be more like

1. Castrovalva

2. Logopolis

3. The Happiness Patrol
    Mawdryn was probably a bit lucky last time round - don't get me wrong, I think it's a great story, but the runaround on the mutant ship in the latter part of it does drag it down a little.

4. The Ribos Operation

5. The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    Talons & Ribos have moved around - both are great, but thinking about them again, I think Ribos is actually more wittily and charmingly written.

6. Aliens of London/World War 3
    I know that most people hate it, but it was the first New Series story that had me punching the air with joy. And it's the only one where I've still had that same sense of excitement when watching the story again.

7. Full Circle

8. City of Death
    It ought to have made the list last time, and despite my 'not judging by appearances' comment above I have in fact fallen back in love with this one because the DVD version looks and sounds so much better than the old VHS. Well, I think it's marvellous....

9. Gridlock
    It just came out of nowhere and was just such an entertaining, moving roller-coaster ride of a tale. And it's sub-2000AD air gives it an extra edge.

10. Father's Day
    I know that on close inspection it doesn't quite make sense, but it works totally. It pips Human Nature to the number 10 spot because I didn't much like the ending of that one.

Of course I'm an awkward sod - season 4 of the new stuff still feels too recent for me to include any of those, whereas seasons 1-3 have a heady mix of nostalgia (yes, already) combined with glorious production values. So I suspect I've been perhaps a little over-excitable in putting Father's Day on the list. Gridlock, though, might well move up the list as the years go by. And Time and the Rani might yet make a comeback, so don't write it off my Top Ten yet!!

OK, PS, it's over to you!!

Well, also back on Page 1 was my old series top 10. With the new series added, there are some changes.

As it was:

1. Talons of Weng-Chiang
    2. Visitation
    3. Pyramids of Mars
    4. City of Death
    5. Dalek Invasion of Earth
    6. Tomb of the Cybermen
    7. Daemons
    8. Web of Fear
    9. Moonbase
    10. Remembrance of the Daleks

As it is now:

1. Talons of Weng-Chiang
    2. Visitation
    3. Pyramids of Mars
    4. City of Death
    5. Dalek Invasion of Earth
    6. Blink
    7. Tomb of the Cybermen
    8. Daemons
    9. Father's Day
    10. Girl in the Fireplace

My top ten are:

10: Genesis of the Daleks

It's good, there's no denying that, but there are just others I like more.

9: Inferno

Great idea of the world being destroyed for real, and be honest, who doesn't laugh at the evil Brigadier?

8: The Invisible Enemy

Once again, a good original idea of a virus INSIDE the doctor himself, so that the threat is internal, rather than the whole universe being in danger or something.

7: Mawdryn Undead

Yeah, I know. You'll all think I'm mad for including this story. But having said that, it really does work as an introduction for Turlough and as a reintroduction for the Brigadier, and still doesn't lack a good story as well as having all those other elements.

6: The Dæmons

Azal was a bit dodgy, but other than that, The Dæmons is an amazing story, full of menace and intrigue, and Sgt. Benton shooting a street lamp!

5: Pyramids of Mars

Well, where to start? Good story, good setting, very well paced, the only drawback being that there were NO easter eggs on the DVD.

4: Frontier in Space

Like Mawdryn Undead, this isn't a story that would feature in many people's top ten, but it's just got that certain unknown something about it, the constant changing of location and the excellent model work, on a par with that of Red Dwarf, no less, and to top it all off, the DALEKS! Well, a Dalek.

3: The Green Death

This is one of the absolute gems of the 70's. It was one of the first DVD's I got, and it's reputation is definetely justified. It is also one of the first ever classic episodes I watched, some years ago now, on UK Gold.

2: The Mind of Evil

This is another "WTF?" top ten story. I like it because of its setting, in a prison, the continuity references to Inferno, and the bit with Sgt. Benton being knocked out on a street corner. Absolute class.

1: The Five Doctors

Do I really need to explain? This episode is a continuity-hunter's dream. It's got all the doctors and plenty of monsters, and a reasonably evil nemesis who is behind everything. The best of the best, without a doubt. The DVD re-release was more than justified.

And now, my BOTTOM ten...

10: Resurrection of the Daleks

For me, this story just has too high a body-count to be likeable.Some people may approve of...what was it...around 40 or 50 deaths on screen in this story, but not me.

9: The Aztecs

Now, this story REALLY isn't all it's cracked up to be. In fact, I can hardly remember most of it. Thank GOODNESS it wasn't longer than 4 parts, otherwise it would've dragged like hell.

8: The Edge of Destruction

A story set totally inside the TARDIS really doesn't do it for me. There's far too much screaming and panic, and at the end, the biggest cop-out ever: it was all just because of a stuck switch. How utterly rubbish.

7: The Keeper of Traken

I generally don't like pure historical stories, and this is the story most like a historical without actually being one. The Master could have been brought back in SO many better ways.

6: The Leisure Hive

Too technical. Need I say more?

Oh yeah. CRAP aliens.

5: The Dalek Invasion of Earth

DRAAAAAAAG! This story is just so long! I mean, take part 4 for instance. It is just 25 minutes of people running through sewers. Okay, so is the Talons of Weng-Chiang part 3, but that is so much better.

4: The Androids of Tara

The worst of the Key to Time season. I mean, Count Grendel doesn't even die! Come to think of it, does ANYBODY die in The Androids of Tara?

3: The Keys of Marinus

...To be honest, I'm not quite sure how this episode ended up so low down. It's bad, but not 3rd worst ever. Ah well...

Oh yes, the mini-stories are a good idea, but the production team just couldn't pull it off.

2: The Daleks

As you've probably guessed by now, Hartnell stories don't feature very high on my "Favourite Who" list. And really, this is one of the worst. 7 episodes is FAR too long, and, if I may quote from a comment from YouTube about part 6, "They spend 5 fricking minutes jumping a stoopid hole!" Which really sums it all up. It would probably have worked better later on in the series.

And the very WORST EVER episode is...

1: The Dominators

It was originally going to be a 6-parter. The fact that it wasn't is a minor blessing, because hardly anything happens in this episode until the last 30 seconds. All the Dominators ever do is stick people to a wall and berate each other about wasting energy!
    WORST. EPISODE. EVER.

But of course, all this is just my humble opinion.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Maybe we need a Bottom 10 Doctor Who TV Stories thread of its own. Do you want to kick it off, Mr P, by copy 'n' pasting your list? I'd agree with one of your list...

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    6: The Leisure Hive

Too technical. Need I say more?

Oh yeah. CRAP aliens.
    I would hardly call "tachyons make people's limbs fly off" technical. Bollocks maybe, but not technical.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I think it would be interesting to see whether any New Series stories make it into anybody's Top Ten - or indeed whether the Top Tens have changed since last time.
    No on both counts. My Top Ten hasn't changed since the original EZboard thread. (Which was actually a Top 20) Infact it probably hasn't changed since 1977. (Although the order sometimes fluctuates)

Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    Planet of the Spiders
    Terror of the Autons
    Seeds of Doom
    The Green Death
    The Silurians
    Planet of the Daleks
    Spearhead From Space
    Terror of the Zygons

1. The Five Doctors
    2. Human Nature/Family of Blood
    3. Logopolis
    4. The Mark of The Rani
    5. Blink
    6. Sound of Drums/ Last of the Time Lords
    7. Survival
    8. Fires of Pompeii
    9. Father's Day
    10. Black Orchid

Most of Wayne's list is great, but Planet of the Daleks? I hope there are good nostalgia reasons for this!

ZA's list is interesting, definitely more of a new series bias than most of our old fuddy-duddy stuff. From that list I guess you'd like: More Paul Cornell episodes and more Time Lord/time paradox episodes in the new series.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Most of Wayne's list is great, but Planet of the Daleks? I hope there are good nostalgia reasons for this!
    When i reviewed it for my Pertwee thread of old, it was you first coined the phrase ©'Red Hot Dalek Action'© specifically to describe this story. (I remember these kinds of important facts)
    But yes, i just have such fond memories of watching it as a boy. It's a reminder again of how different the viewing experience was in 1973. It's just 25mins per week, so you just don't get that 6 part 'drag' that many complain of. You're seeing for the first time, & it's a one chance only thing. No VCR's back then! (Unless you were uber-rich. I think they did exist, but it was good a few years before 'normal' folk had them) I can still remember the sheer excitement of the dalek reveal cliffhanger of ep one, & just having the daleks in your living room (in colour for the first time as well for those of who'd parents had not long had a colour tv!) for a further 5 weeks was exciting enough on it's on as a 10yr old boy!
    But to fair, i can still watch it now, all 6 parts in one go, & still enjoy it loads! 'Day' may be a better story, but it's not a better dalek story. The Daleks here are far superior. Especially the voices. This is the best of both worlds for me because my two favourite dalek voice peeps are Roy Skelton, & Michael Wisher, & this is the only story where you get both.
    I love the whole thing. From the gaudy jungle, the whole comic strip style of it, the spirodons, the dalek supreme, (another first when i was 10) the Doctor's sense of morality. (I never understand people's problem with that particular aspect of this story. The Doctor has good morals! Shock Horror! People get killed in war! Amazing!) I think Jon delivers that scene really well. Just what is many fans' problem with it?
    And it also has one my favourite Daleks 'arguments' ever, between the Dalek Supreme & the Section Leader, where the former then exterminates the latter.

THE SUPREME COUNCIL DOES NOT ACCEPT FAILURE!!

You've no idea how exciting this was for me as a 10yr old! (Wow, these guys really mean business! Wow! There's a Supreme Council!) Whenever i watch it now, i still get the same buzz!
    Planet of the Daleks may not be the best written story ever, but this thread isn't about 'best', it's about 'favorites'. Similarly, my fave Pertwee story ever is 'Planet of the Spiders'. I can see all it's flaws, & there are quite a few. But i still love it to bits!

VCR's as we know them weren't invented until 1978.

Apart from that, I agree with everything you just said.

Plus, as to colour television, my father never had one until the 80's, so you should think yourself lucky. As a matter of fact, we don't even have a colour television now...

...Oh, who am I kidding?

There were VCRS before 1978- they've recovered video recordings from the 60s. Episodes of Steptoe and Son have been recovred from home recordings, as was a copy of The Space Pirates pt2.
    And the first domestic one was available from 1971, as you can see here

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 4th Aug 2008 at 5:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    There were VCRS before 1978
    Totally! They had one at my school in 1974

Shows how much I know then.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Right, this is my New & Revised top ten. (If the story was in my previous top ten, I won't bother with an explanation.)

10: Remembrance of the Daleks

I accidentally overlooked this story last time, but it is possibly the best of the McCoy era, and therefore deserving of a top ten spot. The best thing is the way that you're made to think that the little girl in a chair is actually Davros.

9: Time-Flight

I generally like the Peter Davison stories, becaue they use the TARDIS very well in most of them. In Time-Flight, the story idea of using Concorde was pure GENIUS on the part of Peter Grimwade.

8: Shada

I saw the BBCi animation of Shada, and seeing it made me wish even more that they'd actually made it back in '79. An amazing story, as you'd expect from no less than Douglas Adams, and some of the funniest single lines ever.

7: Pyramids of Mars

(see previous list)

6: The Time Monster

This story doesn't deserve half the bad press it's given. It's just the kind of story that I would write. Plus it's got the Master in.

5: The Five Doctors

(see previous list)

4: Castrovalva

It works as a four-part story, but it could just as easily work as two separate two-part stories. That is what I really like about Castrovalva, its versatility. Plus its got the Master in.

3: The Visitation

Peter Davison's first historical story is one of his best. It is chock-full of fabulous story ideas, and the real genius is that none of them swamp any of the others.

2: Frontier in Space

(see previous list)

1: The DÆmons

(see previous list)

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    Right, this is my New & Revised top ten.

9: Time-Flight...

Top ten??

Pip Madeley Guest

Frontier In Space at #2? Six episodes of capture, escape, capture, escape... just like The Dominators, nothing really happens until the final episode, and the ending to that is incredibly rushed/disappointing.

Well, no. That's not entirely true. The conceptual idea of the Doctor and Jo constantly being disbelieved by the Earth authorities is interesting, because it warns of a possible future, in which the government is repressive and evil, like in 1984...or Colony in Space.

Also, as I stated in my previous Top Ten, the model sequences are exceedingly well executed for their time, on a par with Red Dwarf today. So actually, Frontier in Space does have many redeeming qualities.

Plus it's got the Master in.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

And another thing...I LIKE Time-Flight. So THERE.

...Oh, who am I kidding?