Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Your Top 10 Doctor Who TV Stories

What are you favourite 10 stories from the Original Series of Doctor Who, and why? No 21st century stories allowed!

Here are mine:

1. Frontios - dark, gloomy and desperate. This story conveys the end of the world as it should be - a desperate struggle for survival on the part of the surviving humans. Add on to that some fantastic character building for Turlough, Peter Davison at his best, and some wonderful monsters, and you have my favourite story of the original series.

2. The Curse of Fenric - easily the best story in Doctor Who's later years. Well plotted, with fantastic acting from all involved. McCoy really shines, and the Haemovores are fantastic monsters. Even Nicholas Parsons is excellent in it!

3. Inferno - Pertwee at his best, this story encompasses the UNIT era wonderfully. The concept of the Primords is fantastic, IMO, and the story has a tension that Doctor Who has rarely managed to equal. The time in the alternate universe means that this story does not seem too padded, even at 7 episodes in length.

4. The Robots of Death - another tense one. This story has some excellent twists. At first, it's merely a "whodunnit?", before turning into a wonderfully tense story as the crew attempt to escape the robots. The story benefits from having robots, who never tire, as the main threat. Consequently, the tension level is extremely high. The business with Taren Capel is interesting, and left me wanting to know more about his back-story.

5. Fury from the Deep - if only this existed in a viewable format! The story is absolutely wonderful, and the characters are all believable. The concept of the weed-creature is brilliantly done, and (from the censor clips), seems to be well executed. The infamous Quill and Oak moment is one of the most terrifying moments ever committed to film in Doctor Who's original run. Fantastic!

6. Revelation of the Daleks - the finest story Colin Baker was ever in. The Doctor's involvement in this one is minimal, but I don't mind, because the characters are all so fantastically built up. The acting is very, very good, and the concept of Daleks made out of dead humans is a terrifying one. The Dalek-ised Stengos is absolutely terrifying, and scared me a great deal at the age of 9! Graeme Harper directs the story well, and it was incredibly well-scripted by Eric Saward!

7. The Seeds of Doom - one of the best Tom stories. The Krynoid is an excellent monster, and the idea that plants could supplant all animal life on Earth is a good one. Add to this a high level of tension (particularly when it seems that Sarah would be infected by the pod), and a Doctor who would even brandish firearms in a desperate attempt to stop the creature, and a final outing for UNIT for several years, and you get one of the best stories of the Tom Baker era.

8. Battlefield - there's only one moment I don't like in this ("BOOOOOOOOM!"), otherwise I think that this is a fantastic story. I've always been fascinated by Arthurian legend, and I feel that this is a nice twist on it by DW. I enjoy most of the characters, although extremely continuity-based in places, it's a nice nostalgia-fest! The Destroyer is extremely well realised, and Morgaine is wonderfully camp!

9. The Caves of Androzani - Holmes' best? Quite possibly. Every character is utterly fantastic, and the story is well acted. As usual, Graeme Harper directs this one well, and the only real let-down is the magma creature. The Doctor's desperation to save Peri's life, even to the sacrifice of his own, is beautiful, and the regeneration scene is well handled.

10. Full Circle - a story that terrified me when I was 8! The first of the E-Space trilogy, this story is brilliantly done. The moment where the Doctor meets the deciders for the first time is excellent, as is the Marsh-Men's emergence from the water. The monsters are well realised, and the spiders are terrifying. This is well plotted, well written, and well acted. Brilliant stuff!

bubbling under: Terror of the Autons, The Green Death, The Ark in Space, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, The Stones of Blood, Logopolis, Earthshock, Vengeance on Varos, Delta and the Bannermen, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I did this on the original PS some years ago, and kept what I wrote so here it is :

Well, here goes. I find it very difficult to place stories on the whole, and was going to do them in chronological order, but as the votes are being counted, I will put them in the best order of quality I can. There's definitely no doubt for my favourite, which is :-

1) The Talons of Weng-Chiang

Sheer perfection (who cares about the rat?!). Tom and Louise at their peak, wonderful guest stars, Mr Sin and his knife, Judith Lloyd (Ta ducks!), and lovely pieces in the theatre, with "Daisy Daisy" and the magic tricks all adding to the atmosphere. Probably the most atmospheric Who of them all.

2) The Seeds of Doom

Another great Hinchcliffe/Holmes six parter (well, all 3 of them were really). Tom at his moody best and Lis so lovely and loyal. It features one of the finest human villains in the series in Harrison Chase - such a creepy and compelling performance by Tony Beckley. The scenes with the compost grinder still send a judder down my spine to this day. And it has the wonderful Amelia Ducat!

3) The Caves of Androzani

The best 80s story - miles ahead of any other from that decade. Gripping, moody, atmospheric, violent - everything I love in my Who. Davison and Bryant at their absolute best, and another great adversary in Sharaz Jek. Everyone bar the regulars is unlikeable (interestingly, from the following story the reverse was true!), and only the two females survive! It also has the best regeneration sequence in the series, and the best performance by Colin Baker.

4) The Horror of Fang Rock

Bit surprised not more have gone with this archetypal base under seige story. It completes a fantastic hat-trick of stories, though it brought my golden era of the show to an end. Again, Tom is so moody and alien and although she is said to dislike the story, Louise is great too. Scary and atmospheric, always gripping and proof of what you can do in a studio with a small budget.

5) The Robots of Death

Beginning that hat-trick of mine which peaked in the middle, another great base under siege story. Beautiful design on the Robots, and those chilling voices. And wasn't D84 so delightful? "Goodbye, my friend!".

6) Pyramids of Mars

Who does Hammer Horror, with those wonderfully designed Mummies stalking the poor poacher through the woods. The Scarman brothers are both excellently portrayed, and again it's Tom as I liked him best - all alien and moody, and Sarah all plucky and lovely. And in Sutekh we have one of the most powerful and chilling adversaries the Doctor ever encountered. Only the padding in part 4 with the puzzles stops me putting this higher.

7) Earthshock

The other 80s classic for me. The only time the Cybermen are menacing when we see them in colour. I can't deny that a lot of the reason I love this so much stems from the original transmission with the shocks of the Cybermen themselves being in it, and the death of Adric, but I still never tire of watching this extremely fast paced and never dull story. Great performance by Davison, and contains one of my favourite scenes in the whole series when the Cyberleader threatens to kill Tegan and gets one up on the Doctor!

8) Genesis of the Daleks

I don't rate this as highly as many fans do - perhaps I'm a bit over familiar with it? But you can't deny it's still a great piece of television, albeit fairly padded. Most of its excellence comes down to Michael Wisher and Peter Miles really. Oh, and the Daleks look and sound great when we do actually see them! The LP's half-way cliffhanger is much better than the TV story's one.

9) Inferno

The only Pertwee in my Top 10, this is a great example of how to make an epic near 3 hour production not padded at all, with the ingenious use of the parallel universe setting. Dark and moody and apocalyptic. Great location shooting around the gasworks and great stuntwork by Havoc!

10) The Aztecs

The only 60s story in my Top 10, I adore this historical with its wonderful performances from Jacqueline Hill and Hartnell, in what has to be the best performance by any companion in any story. Always fascinating to watch, and what about those scenes with Cameca and the Doctor - very touching!

So that's it - no Troughtons because I felt unable to include stories that are on audio only, though if it existed I do think Web of Fear would be in my Top 10. No Colins because - well, I don't think any of his would make my Top 50 let alone Top 10! And no Sylvesters either, though one of his is in my bubbling under section which also includes in chronological order :

The Daemons
    Brain of Morbius
    Deadly Assassin (love the Matrix scenes but part 4 is a bit of a letdown)
    City of Death
    Full Circle
    Remembrance of the Daleks

I'll have a think later about what I'd change now (though nothing in the Top 5, that's for sure!)...

1. Talons of Weng-Chiang

I'm a sucker for Victorian settings, and when you add Tom in Holmesian clothing, Mr Sin and Jago and Litefoot to the mix you have the best thing that Doctor Who has to offer.

2. Visitation

This is what I consider to be a traditional Doctor Who story. By far the best story on offer from the 80's with a great enemy in the Terileptils. When you add to that the great bickering TARDIS crew, and Michael Robbins as Richard Mace and you've got a classic.

3. Pyramids of Mars

There's so much to enjoy in this story. The atmosphere, the scary Mummies, Gabriel Woolfe's wonderfully evocative Sutekh voice and Scarman brothers. I especially like the scene where the Doctor shows Sarah the future of the Earth if they don't defeat Sutekh.

4. City of Death

This story has Tom and Lalla working so well together, and with Tom Chadbon stealing scenes as Duggan it's got some really funny moments too. It is also the only story to really scare me when Scarlioni pulls off his face to reveal his true Jagoroth face.

5. Dalek Invasion of Earth

I love this story. The Daleks taking over the Earth and enslaving the world makes for a great storyline. The first episode cliffhanger with the Dalek emerging from the Thames is a great moment, only surpassed by Susan's departure and the Doctor's farewell speech. It's also helped by having thew best TARDIS crew of all time.

6. Tomb of the Cybermen

I much prefer the 60's Cybermen to their later counterparts. They're horrifying yet strangely compelling and the best incidental music the show ever produced helps a lot too. The light moments in it really work as a counterpoint to the horror of some of the scenes with the Cybermen in it.

7. Daemons

This is the story that I tend to rate all the UNIT stories up against, and none of the others measure up. This is the one in which the UNIT members are all on fire, with some great scenes for Benton and Yates in their civvies. Delgado is on top form as the Master, the setting is perfect and Miss Hawthorn akes for a great guest character

8. Web of Fear

If only this story existed in its entirety. I love the Yeti, and when you add the London Underground as a setting it just seems to work perfectly. It's good to have Travers return, and of course it's also the story that introduces the Doctor to Lethbridge-Stewart.

9. Moonbase

Another 60's Cyberman choice. I like the base under siege cenarios of many of the Troughton episodes, but none work as well as this one does. The fact that it's set on the moon gives the story and the humans in it a remoteness that's all the more unsettling because you know rescue is so far away. Again, we have that great incidental music that 60's Cybermen stories have, too.

10. Remembrance of the Daleks

Finally a late 80's story. This is the story that convinced me that Doctor Who wasn't going into a huge decline. The Daleks return to their menacing best in this story, at least until Davros emerges anyway. They use the two Dalek factions very effectively, and I particularly liked the Special Weapons Dalek. The only downside to the story is, in hindsight, the stark similarities between it and Silver Nemesis including the same basic resolution.

Bubbling under:
    Aztecs, Inferno, Robots of Death, Horror of Fang Rock, State of Decay, Enlightenment, Awakening and Curse of Fenric.
    Last edited by Paul Clement; 4th Jan 2007 at 10:10 PM.

Looking back at my original top ten (based on things I'd actaully seen) it was
    1. Talons
    2. Ark in Space
    3. Caves of Androzani
    4. Deadly Assassin

(hmmm - a bit of a pattern here )

5. The Curse of Fenric
    6. Robots of Death
    7. Pyramids of Mars
    8. Curse of Peladon
    9. Dalek Invasion of Earth
    10.Tomb of the Cybermen

My only change now would be to drop Tomb and replace it with my next Bubbling under Terror of the Zygons.
    Bazinga !

So many to choose from...

In chronological order...

The Daleks The original Dalek serial remains one of my favourite Dalek stories to this day. The first time I saw it, when it was released in video in 1989, I was captivated by it. It simply felt more like Doctor Who than any story seen on television (at the time) had done for years. At a time when I was almost totally disillusioned by the series, this video release helped remind me just how special to me the series used to be. It reawakened my interest at a time when I would possibly otherwise have drifted away.

The Keys Of Marinus this story often gets knocked, but I love it! Each episode has a different setting and guest cast, each adventure is short enough to stay enjoyable, and the quest storyline makes it feel like a mini Key To Time-type serial. But more fun.

The Web Of Fear Most of my memories of this are based on the Target novelisation, which I constantly re-read throughout the late 70s/early 80s. The soundtrack, when it was released, didn't dissapoint me either...this is the one story I'd love more than any other to see returned in it's entirity

The War Games This story I find to be gripping from start to finish. Yes, it's maybe a tad on the long side, but it keeps my interest throughout, unlike many shorter stories. The fact that it's Troughton's swansong, combined with the first appearance of the Time Lords, easily make this one of my favourites.

The Mind Of Evil It's probably nostalgia which places this one so high, as scenes from this are among my earliest Who memories, but despite that it's still an excellent story, one of the highlights of Pertwee's era.

The Green Death The final scene alone is enough for me to include this story, it tugs at the heartstrings in a way that wasn't to be seen again until the new series. Add green slime and giant maggots to the mix, and you've got a classic on your hands!

Pyramids Of Mars This has simply been one of my favourite stories, ever since it's original broadcast. The scene where the Doctor shows Sarah 1980 Earth always stuck in my head, but there's much more than this here. Also, Sarah looks great in Victoria's dress....

Talons Of Weng-Chiang A very atmospheric Victorian London setting, some great supporting characters(Jago and Litefoot) , and a scabby-looking giant rat all come together to make this another favourite. Too bad it loses it's way a bit towards the end, but not enough to waste it.

The Visitation I've always had a soft spot for pseudo-historicals, and must say that this is one of my favourite Davisons. Richard Mace, Tereleptils, and Pudding Lane are enough to put this in my top 10.

The Awakening The best 2-parter the series ever did. Not enough plot in there to pad out to a longer story, but it works perfectly as it is. I love the Malus, as well. Davison's at his best here, too. The start of a pretty strong run of stories.

1. The Five Doctors

Come back to Mother! Restored to the summit of my list after a few years of not watching it. Because, well one can't view it now really, without fear of wearing out the precious videotape since the dictatorial cretins on the Restoration Team made a Version Of Hell and stuck it out on DVD instead. Wait! Peter Davison coughed at the end of a take there. We'd better "re-instate" it. Go stick yer head down a toilet you loveless fools!

2. Revelation of the Daleks

Why is Jenny Tomasin supposed to be rubbish? We need more dumpy little women in Doctor Who. AND ANOTHER THING! Why do people go on about the Doctor being sidelined? He's in it all the way through. There are plenty of stories where he does less than wrestling with a mutant, getting crushed by a statue and acting all sinister over a bread roll.

3. The Caves of Androzani

"YOU.. with your fair skin and features!" is a terrific insult, worth ressurecting in real life, for example when arguing with the shop assistant in Tesco over the poor fresh produce, or debating ethics with your local car mechanic. Although if they hadn't ruined the film and had to fly Maurice Roeves all the way back round the world, "The Twin Dilemma" might not have looked as if it were made for five pence.

4. The Robots of Death

Haven't watched this for years, but it's still good. They could remake it for the new series really couldn't they? Relocate it to Cardiff and make one of the crew gay, and we'd be sorted.

5. Image of the Fendahl

The dog is called leaky! It's so rude!

6. The Kings Demons

They pointed out that Chameleon can play the lute even when not disguised as the king! So what else can he play? Twister? Connect 4? Topless darts? Pant-wettingly exciting rare footage of the Tin Love God now recovered into the sweaty hands of the Restoration Team. I bet they frequently sneak into the vault, view it, and sneak a mit down there.

7. Battlefield

Imagine Courtney in the New Series! He looked old even back then, with his big stomach. They should get him back, he could be propped up in the corner of a scene as a nod to the fans. Why didn't they just speed the bleeding film up for Bessie!

8. Mawdryn Undead

Another Courtney story! Shoot the person that decided to make the capsule and spaceship interiors identical! Couldn't they have painted one a different colour to avoid confusion? To this day there can't be a flashback sequence on telly without one of us whispering "Liz Shaw!" in sinister fashion.

9. Planet of the Spiders

What's Jon Pertwee been doing for all those weeks after he knows his number is up? With nothing to lose? "The TARDIS brought me home" my buttocks. More like "The TARDIS stopped off at Vegas and picked up some dancing girls, then brought me home a week later".

10. Earthshock

Have cried, man and boy. All space ship captains should be like Beryl Reid - "we will go on!"

"Inferno" has slipped out of my top ten because it has.

Si.

=1.The Curse Of Fenric

My favourite story. Excellent performance from McCoy, the scene where he forges the two signatures is one of my favourite ever, I find it so completely "who-ish". Brilliant supporting cast too, with Nicholas Parsons, Dinsdale Landen & Alfred Lynch. Nice location work, good cliffhangers, and just a great 'feel' to it.

=1.The Five Doctors

My favourite story to watch, it's endless (well, 90 minutes) fun! Quote after quote ("Not quite Brigadier, It's his tomb."), camp villains, badly directed scenes in abundance that are still enjoyable for some reason, probably my favourite DW music score, and manages to 'tick all the boxes'. Wonderful, 11/10.

3.Logopolis

Higher than when I last ranked my Top 10, this is great throughout, and Tom bows out on a high. Love all the TARDIS scenes in ep.1, and the foreboding presence of The Watcher. One of the best regenerations that the show has seen. I find the plot interesting, all the mathematics, entropy & such. I was a maths geek.

4.The Daleks' Master Plan

A proper 'epic', the like of which the show never really saw again. Mavic Chen shines as the main villain, plus we get the return of the Time Meddler, Daleks, the Kembel jungle, some mice, a Pyramid, a whole 25 minute Xmas runaround, and much, much more! Shame we can't see it all.

5.Terror Of The Zygons

Not from my favourite era of the show, but this one still makes me feel like a kid when I watch it. Truly creepy, with some of the best cliffhangers, and a kilt!

6.Ghost Light

This is the BBC doing what they do best, a charming (& thoughtful) period piece. A wonderful set, cast, and story. And it made perfect sense to me on first viewing. The script is fantastic too, which you only pick up on with more viewings, not a line of dialogue is wasted.

7.Power Of The Daleks

Troughton hits the ground running, showing his natural abilities from the start. David Whittaker seems to have a much better "take" on the Daleks than Terry Nation too. Atmospheric & claustrophobic, and I find all the characters believeable.

8.Mawdryn Undead

So what if it was written for Ian Chesterton!? Great to see the Brig back, love the 'time' concept of the story being in two locations, you also get the fab David Collings & Valentine Dyall to boot! Nice music, and excellent design work on the ship.

9.Earthshock

Maybe the greatest cliffhanger ever?! I think this was the first story I ever taped to audio cassette, I listened to that cliffhanger over & over! Tense build up, great performances from Davison, and suprisingly Matthew Waterhouse too. Quiet an iconic scene too where the Cyberman is frozen in the doorway. This story is, of course, EX-CELL-ENT!!

10.Marco Polo

Characters so real, they jump out of the story at you. Lovely music throughout, great costumes & sets. Hartnell's laugh in ep.1 (??) is priceless! Everything about this is great.

Bubbling under: The Aztecs, Enlightenment, The War Games, An Unearthly Child, Arc Of Infinity, Talons Of Weng-Chiang, Black Orchid, Day Of The Daleks, The Ambassadors Of Death, Warriors Gate....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

1. City of Death
    A story you just want to cuddle because it's so lovely and feel good. There's the two best leads the show ever had, having fun, and making me smile. There's a great plot that's sophisiticated and funny and really well made in comparison with the stories around it- great model work, sets, acting and music make this the jewel in the crown for me.

2. The Five Doctors
    Fun! Silly, nostalgic fun! Quotable, loveable, always a joy to watch, the Five Doctors is another story that just makes me smile when I think about it. There's lots to love and even the "special" edition can't take all that away from it.

3. Genesis of the Daleks
    Overrated? No way! This is a great story that even it's overexposure hasn't dulled for me. The record version might stand as the definitive version with it's wonderful Tom narration.

4. Full Circle
    A massive favourite- it's got all you could want. Tom on top form, great monsters, The TARDIS spinning in space, lovely music, James Bree, Romana possessed, lovely scary cliffhangers, location filming in the sunshine at Black Park...oh and Adric.

5. Frontios
    Davison was never better than here. Bidmead proves without a doubt he could write best for the fifth Doctor and does it effortlessly. The Tractators are well designed if a little static and the colony is well portrayed. Lovely stuff.

6. The Green Death
    A Pertwee! In my top 10! Oh yes, I love this story. A nice slice of groovy 70's stuff. Iconic monsters, Pertwee and Manning at the top of their game and despite a poor production really (the CSO is the series's worst) this is a good sound story that's fun to re-watch.

7. Stones of Blood
    Lesbians! Blood sucking stones! K9 being brilliant! Tom's realtionship with Prof. Rumford! Sausage sandwiches! Are just some of the many reasons I love this one.

8. The Aztecs
    Bleak for Barbara, but Jackie Hill shows what a star she is in this story. It was a striy it took me many years to love, but once you get there's much to reward you. Everyone is on top form.

9. Web of Fear
    Part one is brilliant- a gem of an episode and I hope the rest was like it. A great story, very tense and gripping, even if the ending isn't all that wonderful. A base under seige story that's rewarding and entertaining and doesn't out stay it's welcome.

10. State of Decay
    For the scene between Tom and Lalla in the cell if nothing else, which is the loveliest scene in the whole of the show. Oh and it's a great story too!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

No Leisure Hive, Mr Hart? I'm very surprised
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

I've deliberately excluded missing stories, as I just don't feel familiar enough with them to compare them to those you can actually sit down and watch. Plus, for all we know, Fury from the Deep (for example) sounds great, but the direction might have made Peter Moffat look like Stanley Kubrick, in which case we'd all probably hate it! So, of those stories actually still in existence, my top ten stories are as follows.

1. Castrovalva
    No surprise to anybody I'm sure! I can usually see varying points of view, but with this one, I just can't see why anybody could dislike it. Davison IS the Doctor, making his mark so immediately, it's a joy every time. The script, the direction, the performances, the look & feel & sound of this story are all so spot on, and so well co-ordinated, you could almost believe they had a RTD-style 'tone meeting' beforehand. Favourite moment: "That's the trouble with manual over-ride.... Get K9 to explain it to you, good luck!"

2. Logopolis
    The best-ever swansong for any Doctor, and that's a scientific fact. Another case where the music and the direction and the feel of the story all combine to haunting effect. Tom Baker reminds us all that as well as a superb Doctor, he's a superb actor - as I've said many times before, nobody else could deliver the dialogue he gets here about the end of the universe ("I've just dipped into the future, we must be prepared for the worst") and make it so credible. Favourite moment: the scene on the bridge.

3. Mawdryn Undead
    Davison's good, but I really love this one for the Brigadier. The old series makes a rare foray into modern-style 'emotional' drama, with the old soldier having had a nervous breakdown, et al. And another stonking musical score. Not even birds on head, or Tegan's awful season 20 costume, can dent this one. Favourite moment: The first awful sight of the inside of the 1983 Brig's shabby hut. Heartbreaking.

4. The Happiness Patrol
    Yes, you heard me! For a series that arguably ought to have been playing it safe while it was still under such intense scrutiny, THP is a gloriously brave story. It may not always look all that, and yet at the same time that confined, studio-bound look adds to its slightly surreal edge. McCoy is on fine form, handling both drama and comedy, and holding the piece together without ever going OTT. Favourite moment: "A list of the disappeared..."

5. The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    Fortunately there is a reality that both Jonno & I can agree on... The crowning glory of the Hinchcliffe/Holmes era, this one is just such great fun to watch. It may be derivative, but by golly it does it with such style, and such, well, style. Favourite moment: "Mr Sin will not be appearing with me tonight" - only because my brother back in 1977 was impersonating that line for days after!

6. The Mutants
    Why does everybody hate this one? It has so many twists and turns and mysteries and surprises that I can't help but love it. No, Cotton can't act for toffee; no, the CSO isn't always all that good; but against that is such freaky trippiness, and some stonking monster costumes. Favourite moment: "Is it any good?" Jo's cheeky response to the Doctor's comment about 'The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire'.

7. The War Games
    Yet more trippiness, this one deserves its epic length. If it's powerful now when the Doctor recognises a fellow member of his own race, imagine how pant-wettingly exciting it must have been in 1969. I can't even begin to imagine how they could have done this one as a paltry four-parter as originally planned. So many neat tricks are played, not least of which is having a trial both in the first and last episodes, that it surprisingly stands up to many a repeated-viewing. Favourite moment: it's a toss up between the haunting moment where Carstairs vanishes in part 9, or the final farewell in part 10: "They'll forget me won't they..."

8. The Ribos Operation
    A very tough call this one, as I really like the first four KTT stories - nevertheless, somehow this one has an edge over the others (although only just). Maybe it's Holmes' dialogue, maybe it's Binro, maybe it's just that it's all such fun. Favourite moment: "When you've been locked up as often as I have, this is much more fun."

9. Time and the Rani
    Another tough one, it's tough to choose between this and Paradise Towers - McCoy is arguably even better in the latter, but somehow this one always feels so gloriously fresh, and new, and exciting, and fun, that I had to choose this one. I must watch it again soon! Favourite moment: "Doesn't bode well for my seventh persona - being so completely taken in by the wretched Rani."

10. Full Circle
    Part nostalgia (but then, they all are) because I can remember watching this for the first time in 1980, knowing that Baker's Doctor's days were numbered. It gives an extra edge to an already beautiful story. The cave set doesn't look good, the starliner model doesn't look good either, but by golly those Marshmen do, and Tom in particular is on fine form. The opening five or so minutes are all TARDIS-set, leading to a real shock when we're NOT on Gallifrey after all - that impact is lost once you know what's coming, but watch it as if you don't and see how clever it all is. Favourite moments: "You can't fight Timelords... Yes, and lost"; "And I'm the Doctor!"; and what other show would have the scenario which allows Nefred to reveal: "None of us knows how to fly it." Superb.

Bubbling under - Paradise Towers, The Androids of Tara, The Pirate Planet, the whole of season 17 (I'm a tad surprised to find that City of Death didn't make the list - it pains me to admit that the release of the story on video in the 90s may have led to overkill, although I am currently enjoying the DVD, so what do I know), Trial of a Timelord, The Curse of Fenric, Survival, and many others I'm sure. And I would have included the TV Movie, if I didn't think it didn't count as part of the original series.

Phew!

Pip Madeley Guest

Chronological:

The Daleks' Master Plan
    The final two episodes are near-perfect, with Kevin Stoney giving a memorable performance as power-mad Chen, the Daleks being utterly ruthless... but it's Hartnell who makes this what it is. The Doctor very nearly loses his own life - the moment where he screams to Steven to get back to the TARDIS is possibly one of the most emotional, chilling, bloody fantastic moments of Doctor Who ever.

The Tomb of the Cybermen
    It says a lot for a story when you can more or less recite the script from start to finish - it was one of the very first Doctor Who stories ever saw, the first black and white one at any rate. Patrick Troughton is fantastic as the Doctor, the 'company' around him is strong, and there are many magic moments (the Cybermen awakening & episode two's cliffhanger, the Doctor/Victoria two-hander etc). Pip loves it.

Fury from the Deep
    One of my wishes in life would be to watch this. I first heard it thanks to the BBC audio cassettes with Tom Baker's narration, and it blew me away. A gripping tale which genuinely becomes frightening at moments (particularly the Oak and Quill clip). Episode five's cliffhanger sends shivers down my spine everytime. Again, great script (very tense), superb performance from Patrick Troughton and the rest of the cast.

The Mind Of Evil
    The definitive Pertwee story, with all the elements in place - Jo Grant, UNIT and the deliciously evil Master, portrayed magnificently by Roger Delgado, whose presence is still fresh. The plot is engaging, the characters are well drawn (particularly Barnham), and the regulars all give good performances (the Brig and Benton particularly). A joy to watch.

The Ark In Space
    A Holmes masterpiece. An tight, intelligent set of scripts, which in particular give Tom Baker his definitive Doctor - away from the fun but quite silly Doctor in 'Robot', Tom Baker nails the character of the Doctor with an enigmatic performance as a more serious and importantly alien Time Lord. The Wirrn is an effective baddie and there's lots of atmosphere. Instantly likeable.

Terror of the Zygons
    Yes, the Skarasen is awful. But the rest of it! The Zygons themselves are utterly a one-off - I love their organic style, and the whisper of their voices. UNIT is still a force to be reckoned with, and A great mix of action, suspense and horror, with absolutely gorgeous music and stunning location work (it really looks like Scotland). Good script from Robert Banks Stewart too - his other Who script isn't bad either...

The Seeds of Doom
    The Doctor punches the chauffeur! He's leaving now, he's got his toothbrush! SCORBY! GET DUN-BAAAAAAAAAAR! WOO! Well paced, well scripted, it's Day of the Triffids with the Doctor, and it's bloody fantastic. Tom Baker gives perhaps his finest performance as the Doctor - utterly unpredictable, but utterly believable, he's just top! He gets the job done. Elisabeth Sladen is strong too, and Tony Beckley (superbly classy and OTT) and John Challis (genuine characterisation) almost steal the show. The Krynoid works well too, especially as the horrific human-shaped monster. Great cliffhangers too (particularly episode two), and once again, beautiful incidental music from Geoffrey Burgon. It all works.

The Stones of Blood
    The main reason I love this? Tom Baker. Like in Seeds of Doom, he shows his complete range, but here with more emphasis on the comedy, and comes across as utterly lovable. A perfect example is his reactions to Professor Rumford as she talks about Doctor Borlase, I laughed so hard when I first saw that. It's an enjoyable tale too. Orgi... come!

The Caves of Androzani
    I've never been a big fan of Peter Davison's Doctor, but he gave a blinder of a performance in this one. Another Holmes masterpiece, full of atmosphere and great characters/actors - Christopher Gable deserved a knighthood for his oustanding turn as Sharaz Jek. Love the double acts too. What really makes it extra special though, is Graeme Harper. His direction is just beautiful, he put all the other directors during the Davison era to shame.

The Curse of Fenric
    The last great hurrah for classic series Who - things had been very ambivalent in the previous five years, but Fenric nailed it. Like Androzani, the final episode is the peak. That climactic scene where the Doctor 'betrays' Ace is absolutely compelling stuff - McCoy and Aldred reached their peak here after some ropey performances. The whole thing looks totally authentic, and I love the fact it's made on location, it really adds an atmopshere that a studio set could never have done. Even Nicholas Parsons is fantastic in it.

Tom Baker gives perhaps his finest performance as the Doctor
    No, no, no!!!!!!!!

Er, IMHO, of course!

Fortunately there is a reality that both Jonno & I can agree on...
    Classic quote from Andrew! I think we've been of a similar mind on most of Torchwood too!

Also, I had no idea you rated Logopolis as highly as that, Andrew! I knew about Castrovalva of course, but no wonder you're so excited about this month's DVD release - I thought that was mainly down to the Davison story!

I'll comment further on my "old" post at some stage over the weekend...

It isn't always at number 2, but I'm certainly very fond of "Logopolis" Jonno - in 1981 it was my favourite ever story, right up until "Castrovalva" started in fact!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post

I'll comment further on my "old" post at some stage over the weekend...
    I wish i could find my old post. So much easier than having choose all over again.
    I've only decided on the Top 3 so far.

So, looking more carefully at my original 10, which I'm fairly sure date back to even before we knew the show would be returning, here's a few updated observations :

It completes a fantastic hat-trick of stories, though it brought my golden era of the show to an end.
    I'd now refer to that as "my first golden era" as I've been enjoying my second golden era for the last 22 months.

The only time the Cybermen are menacing when we see them in colour.
    This is now outdated, as I felt they regained their menace last year - notably in Rise/Age, though sadly diluted somewhat in Doomsday.

I'd also drop Genesis from my Top 10, and make it a bubbling under, and replace it with Power of the Daleks which I don't think I'd listened to much when I first wrote my observations. Web of Fear is a clear bubbling under - I see I completely disregarded the audio stuff back then - I don't think I'd listened to many of them back then. I'd drop City from my bubblers (sorry Si!) and replace it with DMP. And Marco Polo as a bubbler too.

I fogot to add my bubblers, which would include: The Leisure Hive, Curse of Fenric, Castrovalva.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

1: Revelation of the Daleks
    "I have the pick of the women."

Who can resist the sheer balls of it, one of the last great behind the sofa stories.

2: Curse of Fenric
    "I think this is what Doctor Judson would have wanted."

This is scary mary, with a great script, performances and visuals its one of those ones that is actually enjoyable peicing together.

3: City of Death
    "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs."

Fun and childish with words full of delight.

4: The Caves of Androzani

"Whats so funny?" "Your dying!"

Used to be my no1 fave - still fab for all the usual reasons.. if a bit grim!

5: Day of the Daleks
    "Sorry I can't oblige them at the moment, I'm not in the mood for games."

White boots, silver make up, jaunty music - but still sinister and thrilling.

6: Warriors Gate
    "we could be here until the crack of doom. Can I have one of your pickles?"

I like weird Dr Who and here its is done with style!

7: Marco Polo

"One day, we'll know all the secrets of the skies, and we'll stop our wanderings."

After listening to the soundtrack just taken the lead as my fave Hartnell - most of the historicals are up there.

8: The Happiness Patrol

"Tell them what I'm trying to say, Gilbert!"

Brilliant cast, with ideas and imagination that necessarily pushed the boundaries.

9: Snakedance
    "The dance goes on. It is all the dance."

Magic. The cliffhangers are what I remember they should be, and a rare decent Dr Who resolution to a story!

10: Doctor Who and the Silurians
    "She was found in the barn, paralysed with fear."

Its a bit drawn out but its perfect for an afternoon off.

Nearly: Aztecs, Robots, Ark in Space, Masque, Trial, Enlightenment, Survival

You missed the killer punchline to your last quote - "she was found in the barn, paralysed with fear... she may have seen something"!

Si.

MARCO POLO -best ever Historical!
    THE MASSACRE -A joy and brilliantly acted!
    THE WEB PLANET -Alien world in Who at its best!
    THE DALEKS MASTERPLAN -Superb epic ,never flags!
    THE TENTH PLANET -Hartnells swansong , a great way to leave -best regen ever!
    THE MACRA TERROR -`Prisonerish` and a great Troughton performance!
    THE FACELESS ONES -FUNNY AND ENTERTAINING!
    FURY FROM THE DEEP- Scariest Who ever done!
    THE INVASION - Best Cyber tale!
    INFERNO - gripping and relentless throughout!

THE SILURIANS
    DAEMONS
    THE DAY OF THE DALEKS
    GREEN DEATH
    THREE DOCTORS
    SEA DEVILS

ARK IN SPACE
    GENESIS OF THE DALEKS
    HAND OF FEAR
    ROBOTS OF DEATH
    Last edited by Avon; 29th Jan 2007 at 6:44 PM.
    "Have you betrayed US?" - "Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK! - Avon.

Hello Avon, welcome to Planet Skaro.

And, erm...

...that's only nine, isn't it?

Pip Madeley Guest

It's Avon.

Paul Avon.

Shes added another now -making it a round TEN!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DR CREWE View Post
    She's added another now -making it a round TEN!
    So it's the Avon Lady, then?

DING DONG! AVON CALLING!