Default Movies you own more than one copy of ...

Well I've been busy unpacking a lot of our DVDs after our move, and have noticed that some films I've got more than one copy of. Not forgetfully but quite deliberately.

They are often the films I really like (I'd be a bit of a fool to myself to buy say the English Patient once never mind twice), and when they come out again a little better quality, with extra features, I find myself justifying rebuying (although usually when they are on offer).

The most recent was Batman Returns, which is about one of my favourite films of all times. I like it because it remains a comic book movie which still looks like it's a comic. Rather than a character from comics somehow brought to life. There's the obvious charms of Michelle Pfeiffers Catwoman.

But I really like the theme of duality running through the piece as each of the main trio is caught between two identities. It also seems to be a Gattling gun of well written dialogue, hammering one after another.

Saw a new copy for $10 which has some features - my other is an early gen DVD with only the movie and a readable bio. My other Batman copy doesnt even have selectable chapters!

Any films you own multiple copies of?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I have three copies of Blue Velvet;

R2 with 45 min Dennis Hopper interview.
    R1 Special Edition.
    R2 Special Edition. (Different extras to R1.)

And if you count VHS as well, that takes it to 4.

When I get a Blu-Ray player & a HDTV, that'll go up to 5...

I have three copies of Superman 2. One which came in a boxset with SM: the movie, and two which I got in the Richard Donner Cut release.

I've got two copies of Star Wars - the original widescreen release, and then the full-screen version of the 1997 SE.

I'm talking videos here, btw, I don't think there's any films we've got on DVD more than once.

The only thing I have two copies of on DVD, I think, is Die Another Day. I have the SE two disc set that came out originally after the run in theaters, and I also have a copy that came in my Ultimate Edition box sets. I think some of the special features are different, but not many.

On VHS AND DVD I know I have A Christmas Story on both, as well as Young Guns and Young Guns II. And that's all I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Saw a new copy for $10 which has some features - my other is an early gen DVD with only the movie and a readable bio. My other Batman copy doesnt even have selectable chapters!
    I still have those ones as well, with the little actor biographies and cardboard cases, I think they were some of the first DVD's ever released. I re-bought Batman and Batman Returns when they did the special editions, which have some excellent special features on them. I also got Batman Forever again as well, as I quite like it, and the deleted scenes on the DVD are actually very good.

I've lost count of the number of times I've purchased the Star Wars trilogy, I've got about three copies on VHS, and now two versions on DVD.

I think everyone owns about 3 copies of Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    I still have those ones as well, with the little actor biographies and cardboard cases, I think they were some of the first DVD's ever released. I re-bought Batman and Batman Returns when they did the special editions, which have some excellent special features on them. I also got Batman Forever again as well, as I quite like it, and the deleted scenes on the DVD are actually very good.
    Yes - you're to blame for this thread with your comment on the Penguin making me rush out to buy Batman Returns again.

Batman and Batman Returns are the best. I have mixed feelings on Batman Forever, esp as if you take an extrapolated line from Batman Returns to Batman Forever, you end up with Batman and Robin.

I might consider buying Forever if it's on offer. I really need a copy in German, as I saw it twice in a German cinema before I ever saw it in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatso the wombat View Post
    I have three copies of Blue Velvet;
    It's a very good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatso the wombat View Post
    R2 with 45 min Dennis Hopper interview.
    Does he wear the mask?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

We have about 5 copies of Spiceworld the Movie.

1 on DVD.
    1 on special edition VHS with making of documentary.
    3 on VHS in tins for Geri, Emma and Mel B. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Yes - you're to blame for this thread with your comment on the Penguin making me rush out to buy Batman Returns again.

Batman and Batman Returns are the best. I have mixed feelings on Batman Forever, esp as if you take an extrapolated line from Batman Returns to Batman Forever, you end up with Batman and Robin.

I might consider buying Forever if it's on offer. I really need a copy in German, as I saw it twice in a German cinema before I ever saw it in English.
    Batman Forever makes quite a few mistakes, but with a few tweaks here and there, I think it could have been a much better film. The deleted scenes actually add a lot to the story, and are some of the best I've seen on a DVD release.

I've not dared to buy Batman and Robin though...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    I've not dared to buy Batman and Robin though...
    Radio One had the nerve at the time of it's release to give it good reviews because they'd got loads of interviews etc. I've vowed to never trust a Mark Kermode review again.

The directors commentary has got to be a bit of a laugh though surely "So I said, hey we've got George Clooney, Alicia Silverstone, Uma Thurman and Arnie Schwartzenigger onboard, who needs a script, we'll just follow Batman Forever, change the mind thing to a cold thing, throw in some weather jokes, badda bing we've got ourself a blockbuster".

"Now the guy wanted to do Bane as a CGI creature, but I thought a guy in an inflatable suit looked more realistic."

Batman creator Bob Kane died soon after the movie was released on video - need you say more?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_kane

Pip Madeley Guest

I've got Buster on video, shop DVD and newspaper DVD. Great film, great soundtrack!

Great balls of fire!