Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Holy Flaming Cow! Peladon Tales out now!

Coming in Jan in the place of The Kings Demons/ Planet of Fire!

So Steve Roberts says:

Apparently the boss-man has just confirmed on stage that the January release is in fact the two 'Peladon' stories, not the planned 'Planet of Fire / King's Demons'.

So now you know!
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Woo!

Twenty two episode of Pertwee in a row! Is the 'boss man' Steve Roberts talks about in fact Ralph.....?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Roberts sounds a bit peeved he found out this news at a convention!

Si.

If you ask me, he's sounded peeved at a lot of things since Dan Hall took over.....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Twenty two episode of Pertwee in a row! Is the 'boss man' Steve Roberts talks about in fact Ralph.....?
    Yay! - What more could you ask for!!

Hope there's a nice tribute to Barry.

Pip Madeley Guest

Let's hope the baking of episode 3 was a success!

I hope so - otherwise part 3 might be cinders suspended in Spain. Or something.

We can only hope. We watched it last night and it looked pretty wretched really. Anything they can do will be a bonus. I wonder if they could use the old recolourising technology to do something with it?

Si xx

absoloutly delighted by this news as Curse of Peladon, is one of my favourite stories.

Pip Madeley Guest

I wonder if we'll get that clip of Alpha Centauri on the Black and White Minstrel Show?

I'm glad it's coming out but both stories are pretty wretched in my opinion. "Curse" was one of, if not the first video I got where I watched it and thought "Oh. This is a bit boring" rather than "Gollygoshwowallofdoctorwhoisamazing".

"Curse" is pretty wretched and "Monster" is even worse. With the news of "The Time Monster" in hot pursuit, and the marginally better "Planet of Fire" straight afterwards, next year is going to be a long haul for dull DVD releases.

A wise strategist would have spaced the Doctor Who stories out such that a canny spacing of great stories outweighed the odd duffer and made the overall quality seem almost uniformly great. Somehow, over the past few years 2e seem to have acheived the impossible and done the opposite!

Si.

Captain Tancredi Guest

'Curse' is going in the right direction but was made by a production team for whom dark corridors and flickering torches were a one-off, not a stock in trade, so it lacks that last bit of flair to push it the right way. 'Monster' probably sounded good at the pitch stage with all the political elements and fits in with the sense of the end of an era, but it tries to be cleverer than 'Curse' and makes the assumption that its audience will remember a story which happened two years before but won't remember any of the details.

Plus it has Roy Evans playing 'Miner' a year on from Bert in 'The Green Death'. Possibly the most unoriginal casting ever...

Curse is a thing of wonder and delight and would make my top 5 Pertwee stories easily.
    Monster would make the bottom 5 without even trying - lets hope for lots of lovely extras to make it worth a boxset.
    Bazinga !

I know I take every oppotunity to slag off Monster, and it is objectively a poor story on virtually every level. And yet, perversely, I actually have a very fond memory of the last time I watched it, which was when I came home very late from work one Friday night, Zel and the baby (as she was then) were both already asleep, and I popped in the video while lounging on the settee in front of the fire. So bizarrely I'm quite happy to hear it's coming out on DVD.

I should probably see a therapist.

Pip Madeley Guest

I have a soft spot for The Monster of Peladon, it was one of the first Pertwee stories I saw, taped from a late night UKGold broadcast by my gran. So I'm sticking up for it and look forward to having it on DVD

Is the peladon pendulum swinging back the other way? By 10th Jan maybe we'll all be in love with it!

Well, maybe...

Curse is great fun. We watched it on Friday night in fact and it remains one of my favourite Pertwees.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    "Curse" is pretty wretched and "Monster" is even worse. With the news of "The Time Monster" in hot pursuit, and the marginally better "Planet of Fire" straight afterwards, next year is going to be a long haul for dull DVD releases.

maybe for you but I'm sure there are going to be many people like me who are more then happy with The Time Monster and Peladon box set being released.

[B]A wise strategist would have spaced the Doctor Who stories out such that a canny spacing of great stories outweighed the odd duffer and made the overall quality seem almost uniformly great
    Somehow, over the past few years 2e seem to have acheived the impossible and done the opposite!

with almost 90 stories now released most of the popular stories are now out so it dose look like we are heading for the same situatiuon as with the VHS releases with all the unpopular stories being released last.

Although we still have "The Seeds of Doom", "Planet of the Spiders", "Greatest Show In The Galaxy", "Frontios" and a few others to come so plenty of good ones still to come.

maybe for you but I'm sure there are going to be many people like me who are more then happy with The Time Monster and Peladon box set being released.
    I can only speak for myself though, can't I?

Although I actually didn't, as I love "The Time Monster", it's just I know there are many out there who disagree.

Si.

Although we still have "The Seeds of Doom", "Planet of the Spiders", "Greatest Show In The Galaxy", "Frontios" and a few others to come so plenty of good ones still to come.
    I'd personally dislike GSITG, but would prefer it to be released sooner rather than later. Preferably between a couple of enjoyable stories with lots of episodes, so that I can forget that I haven't watched GSITG.

There's still Day of The Daleks Terror of The Zygons Face of Evil The Dæmons Snakedance Kinda to look forward too as well!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Extras according to the new DWM:

• Peladon Saga Part 1 - examination of socio-econic climate in UK in early 70s and its influence on the story
    • Peladon Saga Part 2 - looks at characters and monsters
    • Warriors of Mars - Ice Warriors documentary
    • Jon and Katy - a featurette
    • Interview with Ysanne Churchman (voice of Alpha Centauri) from Where Are They Now?
    • Commentaries for all episodes
    • Special fan commentary on Part Four of The Monster of Peladon
    • Deleted scene from Monster of Peladon
    • Storyboard comparison of opening scene of Curse of Peladon
    • Photo gallery
    • PDF material
    • Subtitle production notes
    Out Monday 4th January 2010, price £29.99...

Jon and Katy - a featurette
    Interesting...