Pip Madeley Guest

Default Blackpool Dr Who Museum to close

The end of an era...

LAST CHANCE TO SEE! - DOCTOR WHO BLACKPOOL MUSEUM

Doctor Who Exhibitions would like to announce the last chance to see the classic collection of Doctor Who items at the Doctor Who Museum in Blackpool. After five years in Blackpool, the Museum will close its doors for the last time on the 8th of November after which some of the collection will be being re-distributed to other Doctor Who Exhibitions around the UK. The Museum features a unique collection of props, monsters and costumes from throughout the long history of Doctor Who, Britain's best loved Science Fiction Drama.

The Exhibition will be open every day from 10.30am to 8.00pm until the end of November 8th 2009.

Please note that there is a shop on site but none of the display items will be for sale.

----

Blackpool has been the home of Doctor Who before but can now boast the most extensive collection of Doctor Who programme exhibits ever.

The collection charts over four decades of this famous BBC science fiction drama series from it's beginings in the '60's to present day. Many of the Doctor's famous enemies appear in all their glory including the Cybermen, Daleks, the Yeti, Ice Warrior, Silurian, Davros and many more.

These are the actual BBC props set together with fascinating items from the wardrobe and design departments. In addition you can see many of the actual costumes worn by the Doctors and the assistants plus video clips from throughout the programme's history including the different title sequences from the original ghostly Hartnell version onwards.

The museum is a treasure trove for any lover of Doctor Who and those eager to see what has made this the longest running science fiction programme in the world. At over 5500 square feet in size there's more than you might expect around every corner.
    The largest collection of classic series props about to be broken up? I think I'll have to make a trip, I've only been there once, during that memorable PS weekender

What are your memories of Blackpool?

I've never been. We would have gone next year now that my Dad has moved up there, but alas now we won't.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It was a nice exhibtion but probably a bit old and tatty for the kids of today so I don't suppose it's a great shocker that it's going.

Its a shame its not staying open a bit longer a we could of had another PS get together there.

I remember being young and all excited there was a Doctor Who exhibition on in Blackpool, my family planned a holiday especially!
    But when I got there, I saw "Marsh Men" advertised outside and freaked and tearfully embarrassed my Mum by not wanting to go in!
    A shame it's closing down. I saw the exhibition (paired down at that) at "Spaceport at Seacombe Ferry" recently though.
    And worse, I'm not sure I can make the Blackpool trip in time to say farewell?

Me and the wife last visited Blackpool in '96 - it is a horrid place and I'm never going back. The whole place seems geared to hassling and ripping people off, it's just not fun at all.

It's a shame that Longleat closed its doors back in about 2004 - typically a year before Dr Who got a revival. [Actually thinking about it there's something about Lord Bath which makes me think he's the lost Doctor - he could give Tom a run for his money any day]. And it's nice to see places like the Cardiff museum doing well, although that only caters for the New Series.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......