Default Wanted Photos "breach human rights"

Police have refused to release photographs of two escaped murderers, claiming it might breach their human rights.

Killers Jason Croft and Michael Nixon are among 13 inmates to have absconded from Sudbury open jail in Derbyshire in the past two months.

Despite the fact that only two have been caught - and that the killers are still on the loose - Derbyshire Police said the public do not have a right to know what the convicts look like.

A spokesman for Derbyshire Police said: "When making a decision to release any photograph, police forces must take into account numerous factors including the public interest test, whether there is a strong local policing purpose and, of course, the Human Rights and Data Protection Acts.
    "Photographs of named people that are in police possession are classed as data and their release is restricted by law.

"Acpo (Association of Chief Police Officers) guidance states that releasing a 'wanted' photograph of a named person should only happen in exceptional circumstances where officers believe that the named suspect may be a danger to the public."

Croft, 28, has been missing since October 31, while Nixon, also 28, has not been seen since he failed to appear at roll call on November 2. Both are originally from Manchester.

"Unfortunately, once people abscond, it's up to us to trace their whereabouts," the spokesman added.

"The very nature of open prisons is that those people are out and about anyway on placements and some abuse the trust we have placed in them. We are left to mop it up."

More than 660 inmates have gone missing from Sudbury in the past 10 years and officials were criticised last year for spending 25,000 on a champagne party for staff as a reward for "high performance".
    What do we think about this?

Si.

it's ridiculous. if these prisoners were locked up for murder (as suggested by the article, which refers to them as "killers"), then surely the public has the right to know what they look like, for the safety of the public.

the idea of human rights is a good one, but the way it's used now is simply farcical.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    it's ridiculous.

the idea of human rights is a good one, but the way it's used now is simply farcical.

Ant x
    I agree Ant. Were living in a black comedy.
    (That's if i'm allowed to use the word 'black' in that context without being called a racist.)
    Last edited by Wayne; 5th Jan 2007 at 11:49 AM.

I do think you're discriminating unfairly against apostrophes though.

Si.

Completely absurd. Poltical correctness gone haywire. But since here in the USA we have a few idiotic rules of out own, I can sympathize. The world has gone mad.
    I came, I saw, I posted.

What the hell were killers doing in an open prison? Hardly a fitting punishment is it?

Pip Madeley Guest

They've changed their minds now, and will be releasing photos... common sense prevails!

I'm appalled that these two fine upstanding citizens should have their human rights breached.

God knows what the murdered victimis families will make of this. These idotic rules make a mockery of the human rights of the victims. It scares me to think where this is all heading in the years ahead....pathetic!

Yes, because of course the person killed didn't have their human rights impinged upon did they?

I can't believe it actually became an issue.
    Last edited by Paul Clement; 5th Jan 2007 at 7:00 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

Default Prison absconder numbers unknown

The director general of the Prison Service has admitted that he does not know exactly how many inmates are on the run from open jails.
    Phil Wheatley said there was not an accurate system in place to count the numbers recaptured after absconding but such a database would now be developed.

Almost 700 offenders absconded in the year to last April from England's 15 open prisons, Mr Wheatley estimated.

Earlier this week, the Home Office, replying to a Freedom of Information Act request, said 401 of the prisoners remained at large when figures were compiled last May.

But Mr Wheatley said he was "embarrassed" to admit he was unable to provide an accurate figure because there is no central database for recording numbers of recaptured prisoners.

BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said absconding was a daily occurrence in open prisons - in the last financial year, 693 inmates went missing.
    Surely they can do a head count?!

Open prisons shouldn't even exist.

I'm having a Si Hunt moment.

I saw that too - in school's they take a register, and they're quick enough to jump on the parents if the child is absent. Surely it can't be that difficult to do the same thing with people who are actually locked up!! For heaven's sake mankind!

It's a shame no one ever thinks that releasing the name and photograph(s) of someone before they are convicted might be a breach of their human rights. Until a court pronounces them guilty, they are innocent of any crime and yet tens of millions of people are exposed to media coverage which is designed to make them look as evil as possible.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I remember them saying to me when I was there that in the run up to the previous Christmas, around 30 people had walked out to go home for the festive period!

I dunno how they hoped to get away with it, surely their family home is the first place the police would look?!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    It's a shame no one ever thinks that releasing the name and photograph(s) of someone before they are convicted might be a breach of their human rights. Until a court pronounces them guilty, they are innocent of any crime and yet tens of millions of people are exposed to media coverage which is designed to make them look as evil as possible.
    Fair point in principle, but these two murderers had been found guilty, and were nearing the end of their sentences. Michael Nixon was jailed in November 1996 for slamming a slab of concrete on someone's head in Newton Heath. The other one, Jason Croft, was given a life sentence for fatally stabbing a teenager outside a pub in Blackley, where I live.

The sooner these murderers are found and locked up, the better.

Dave Lewis Guest

Nearing the end of their sentences? Is ten years all you get for killing someone by caving their head in with a concrete slab?

Pip Madeley Guest

Sadly, when they give them life, it doesn't always mean life