Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Series 2 Boxed Set

So, my lovely series 2 boxed set arrived on Monday.

So far, due to essay commitments, I've only managed to watch the deleted scenes, which I enjoyed thoroughly.

This is a massive improvement on the Series 1 set, which I found severely lacking in extras, and rather impractically boxed!

What does everyone else think?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Teresa Guest

So far, due to essay commitments
    So far, due to the very same reasons, Your essay commitments, i have not yet seen any of it...

and i don't get my very own boxed set until Christmas

so couldn't possibly comment yet!

Teresa
    xx

I think it's a very good boxset, I like the design, the lenticular Dalek and Cyberman on the back, the shape and form is far better than last years, and it'll be easier to store on the shelf.
    As for the contents, yes, it's great to have outtakes and deleted scenes, sadly missing from series one boxset, and I think we all have our fave and least fave episodes, my fave being School Reunion, my least fave Love and Monsters, some we'll watch time and again, others we probably won't bother with, but it's a great thing to have, and when you think how something like this boxset would have been presented twenty years ago the thing is nice and compact.
    As for the sound, the 5.1 mixes blow your socks off, and I actually jumped in my chair at the sound of the TARDIS spinning in the first few minutes of The Christmas Invasion.

not got mine yet i'll be off to Reading soon to buy it...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    not got mine yet i'll be off to Reading soon to buy it...
    aaaah a fine place

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I too got mine on Monday but I've put off watching any as I'm going through the series one episodes with the commentary on & I will then move on to this set when I finish that...some time in February probably.

Not bothered with this one yet - I have copies of all the episodes so far, and unfortunately cash is a little bit too tight to be able to import it at the moment. Hopefully things will be better once it comes out over here in February
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    aaaah a fine place

Ant x
    not if your trying to get in the lifts at the car park at The Oracle..

But got my box set and have to say the compact packaging is far better than last years over sized box..

I got my Cyber Head on Monday and I'm quite happy with it so far...

apart from the early Children In Need edit, dodgy editing on Tennant's Video Diary thingy (there's still loads of good stuff in there, though), lack of trailers and Piper's piss-poor Video Diary effort. Still worth buying for the In Vision commentaries.

I didnt go for the cyberhead box as after last years TARDIS box falling apart, it was a case of once bitten....

Having said that, the BBC did send me a new box.

I have to agree with the very short Piper diaries and I was a bit disappointed with the outtakes aswell.The longer ones were specially shot inserts and not outtakes at all.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I), lack of trailers and Piper's piss-poor Video Diary effort. Still worth buying for the In Vision commentaries.
    the pre season trailers were one of the few things I was looking forward to on these box sets and looking at the index booklet I'm very dissapointed there are not any listed.

Pip Madeley Guest

I really can't be bothered with the season sets. The extras sound pretty disappointing, and as I've already got the episodes, it's a bit too much money to part with just to watch disappointing extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    I really can't be bothered with the season sets. The extras sound pretty disappointing, and as I've already got the episodes, it's a bit too much money to part with just to watch disappointing extras.
    I have to be honest after the dissapointment of the series 1 box set had it not been for The Chilldren In Need special, I would of given serious thought to not getting it this year. The extras like video diaries simply have no appeale to me and all though I will wait untill the series 3 box set is released I may very well decide to buy the vanila releases next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    not if your trying to get in the lifts at the car park at The Oracle..
    Digressing here, slightly; is it just me or are all the floors in the Oracle numbered differently depending on which lift you happen to be going up in? The ones by the main entrance (Boots) are numbered differently to the ones by the back entrance of HMV, which are numbered differently to the ones by the front entrance of HMV. Most surreal...

The Oracle? All I know is that every time I visit Reading it ends with me driving round and round screaming at everyone.

Even the time I bought a flatscreen TV.

So the box set - it's really exciting. I much prefer the packaging this year, the picture inside with the Daleks is cool and awesome. The lenticular back cover also reveals the real secret of the Cybermen - Cyber Y-Fronts!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    The Oracle? All I know is that every time I visit Reading it ends with me driving round and round screaming at everyone.
    I feel your pain.

I often end up screaming at people* when I go into Reading town centre, and I only have to walk a few minutes.

* - usually people who think that a red light at a pedestrian crossing means "Go, please drive on, and don't worry about running over people pushing prams across the crossing even though the green man is on".

Quote Originally Posted by Fatso the wombat View Post
    Digressing here, slightly; is it just me or are all the floors in the Oracle numbered differently depending on which lift you happen to be going up in? The ones by the main entrance (Boots) are numbered differently to the ones by the back entrance of HMV, which are numbered differently to the ones by the front entrance of HMV. Most surreal...

Mate, i've been going to that place ever since it opened and I still haven't got a clue which lift button refers to which floor why they can't just number the lift buttons 1 2 and 3 I don't know.

This may sound very dim, but what exactly are 'in-vision commentaries'?

It means you get to see Julie Gardner in a little box in the bottom right of the screen during The Christmas Invasion.

The in-vision ones are:

The Christmas Invasion - Davies, Collinson and Gardner
    The Girl In The Fireplace - Tennant, Myles and Collinson
    The Age of Steel - Harper, Paul Kasey and Briggs
    The Impossible Planet - Tennant, Shaun Parkes and Will Cohen
    Doomsday - Tennant and Piper

Tennant's Video Diaries are also worth a look. There's some good stuff in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    The Girl In The Fireplace - Tennant, Myles and Collinson
    No Moff...?

Last edited by Fatso the wombat; 26th Nov 2006 at 8:22 AM. Reason: Typo

Well you know what Stephen Moffat would say:
    "Here's where I wrote the best Doctor Who story ever. It's fantastic. I'm so brilliant! It's much better than any story in the eighties. Or the sixties. Or, for that matter, the seventies, ninties or any other time. I am THE BEST!!! I think you need to challenge what the Doctor does to IRRITATE the fanboys! The Doctor's not asexual, he'll get it on with anyone. And bananas! They're SOOOO FUNNY!!!"
    Sorry, he gets on my nerves
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Mine too - I wish he didn't, since I admire his writing, but every time he's interviewed he comes across as a smug pain in the arse. Mind you, maybe all writers are like that, I don't know!

Anyone who hates anal fanboys is my idol. He should take a machine gun to conventions!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Mine too - I wish he didn't, since I admire his writing, but every time he's interviewed he comes across as a smug pain in the arse. Mind you, maybe all writers are like that, I don't know!

A case of Mr Moffat saying "I write brilliant stories and I know it"

I've just ordered my copy...unfortunately my wife wants to wrap it up for Christmas once it comes...it'll save her from looking for a prezzie for me!