Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3.3 The Wedding of Sarah Jane

Will Sarah Jane make it down the aisle? How is the Doctor involved? Is Nigel Havers an alien? Who will win in the battle of wills between K9 and Mr Smith?

We'll find out later today in The Wedding of Sarah Jane!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've already started fangasm-ing in anticipation!
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Oh my!

Si xx

Well, haven't you?

...Oh, who am I kidding?

THAT WAS BRILLIANT!

The suspense made my tummy rumble the whole time!

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I agree it was absolutly fantastic, and K9 and Mr Smith make a good double act. I can't wait for tomorrow.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

Yay for K-9! He'll put that Mr Smith in his place

The fact that we all knew the Doctor was going to be in it was a bit of a shame really as it distracted from the episode, which was otherwise great. However much I enjoyed it though, I knew we were all sitting there waiting for that cliffhanger.

On the other hand, I thought I'd be annoyed at it being The Trickster but it was fine, it worked very well.

And after that FANTASTIC cliffhanger, the 'Next Time' section was a bit of a let-down. But only because the cliffhanger was SO fantastic!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Just caught up on iPlayer, great episode with some nice dialogue from Roberts - bring on part two!

"Do not exceed your faunction Mr Smith!"

Gareth Roberts writes K9 excellently! "12% veracity!"

It was great fun. I loved the way you'd hear the screeching TARDIS engines in the background every so often. Really good and you're expecting the Doctor to turn up any moment. It ramped the tension up each time.
    And that was justaposed nicely with lovely comic moments, and the moments where you can't help but really happy for Sarah Jane.

Nigel havers seemed to be playing the character Nigel Havers always plays. He does that very well, fortunately and was really good. I loved the bit where they're all at dinner together and making Sarah paranoid. We do that with my family!

Looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

The only bit I thought was naff in the extreme was the CGI creature - fun idea but boy it looked really cartoonish to my eyes.

I really enjoyed it, but am I the only one who thought John Leeson's K9 didn't sound quite the same as usual? Maybe he's got laryngitis...

I just want to add to the general happy over this episode.

It was the first time you could safely say The Sarah Jane Adventures was cinematic (Oh it feels so good writing that word in relation to this programme. Cinematic! Cinematic!) because of the way the stories are normally solved within a day or a couple of hours, but the "three weeks later" gimmick drove the story and took it to new heights.
    And were you paying attention BBC? Children's drama can still centre on mature actors and actresses?
    I suppose the plot and enemy are obvious but the way it was handled kept you ticking over and what is making me excited over the next episode is the time frame angle of the story being thrown out of the window to concentrate on 25 minutes of action! (Because will The Doctor really need more than 25 minutes to fix it? )

This series has been fantastic and has made the long wait for the next special or Smith series seem all the more reasonable!

First the Mad Woman in the Attic and now Wedding of Sarah Jane - is there a Great Expectations theme running?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I really enjoyed it, but am I the only one who thought John Leeson's K9 didn't sound quite the same as usual? Maybe he's got laryngitis...
    I thought that, indeed I checked the credits to see if it was still John Leeson providing the voice.

Overall I thought it was a nicely whimsical episode with a lot of quiet good dialogue - especially, as has been mentioned, between K-9 and Mr Smith - but I did find myself waiting for the Doctor to appear throughout, especially after we heard the Tardis at several different points.

Can't wait for tomorrow's though, which I presume will be more Tennant heavy.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I agree with the general delight of this episode. I thought it was a step up from previous ones. K9 freed of the ridiculous black hole scenario hopefully will reduce the need to keep going to Mr Smith to solve everything.

Quick question):- Am I the only one to notice the Black & White nature of the Trickster? The two Guardian's of mischief maybe?

Pip Madeley Guest

The ratings for Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures broke past the million mark yesterday afternoon for the first part of David Tennant’s crossover appearance in the serial The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith. The much anticipated crossover had been widely published and paid off in terms of ratings. According to early overnight figures over 1.3 million viewers tuned in to see the first part of the serial.

The figure is The Sarah Jane Adventures best since its first series when it averaged 1.4 million viewers in a slightly later slot. However, the departure of Neighbours to Channel Five and the regular promotion of The Weakest Link to BBC One meant the CBBC strand of programming which airs on BBC One in the afternoons was pushed back by half an hour.
    Not bad at all considering the series has averaged 600,000-800,000 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Quick question):- Am I the only one to notice the Black & White nature of the Trickster? The two Guardian's of mischief maybe?
    Hmm...I thought that the Celestial Toymaker was the "Guardian of Mischief"?

Or maybe it was just mist. I dunno.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Only in his own reality.

I quite enjoyed that.

The Trickster is excellent, it's a shame new Who hasn't created an original villain as good as him.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff, almost flawless. What a fantastic, fun and moving adventure!

The first episode left me wondering quite why they needed Nigel Havers, but the second left me in no doubt. He only had a little to do really, but he did it perfectly. I never thought I'd say this, but Nigel Havers was a perfect match for Liz Sladen.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Aw, that was lovely stuff - and as Steve mentioned, Nigel Havers really was on form - his final moments, and Sarah's reaction to it, was really affecting. And the good Doctor that made it all the more watchable - this felt like it could have been a proper episode of New Who. Ah, what with this, Waters of Mars on the 15th, and the Christmas Specials, it finally feels like the long drought is properly over now.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Have to admit that this is the first episode I've seen since series one. I won't watch them on TV prefering to wait for the DVDs.
    Although we found it an enjoyable enough episode we really struggled to hear the dialogue, that music was just too damned loud and spoiled it for us. One reason I'd rather wait tbh.
    S 2 is out on Monday, I'll catch up with that around Christmas, I'm happy to wait before I see the rest of S 3.

Just caught up with part 2 on the iPlayer, and really enjoyed it. I haven't really been aware of missing Who this year, but seeing the Doctor back in action it felt like too long since we'd seen him. Bizarrely, considering that back in 06 I didn't like the new guy at all, I'm really not looking forward to Tennant leaving, he's been (and still is for the moment!!) just so good.

Favourite fanboy moment of today, though, just has to be the almost casual mention of the Key to Time!! Amazing.

As for the story, in one sense it was a repeat of the Jane Asher dilemma from series 1, but presented in such a different way. A really enjoyable little tale, with the Trickster probably scarier than ever. The idea of being trapped in one second, and separated from somebody else who's trapped in another second, is the sort of concept that would have really fascinated me as a kid, so I hope that not just slightly-aged Doctor Who fans have been watching this!!!

Though did he actually hold the whole Key To Time in his hands? I thought it was set up on that little table, I can't remember if he actually picks it up.

The Trickster may have meant it figuratively, you cheeky scamp!