Default Time to stop tieing the knot?

No not an anti marriage thread just something one of the guys in the office was telling me yesterday.

He was saying that wearing a tie was now considered "old hat"....not really an option where I work as it is part of the dresscode along with suit etc.

But I just wondered what the general opinion is? I think it's respectful to clients or customers to present yourself smartly but maybe it doesn't matter. I would agree that at the top end of business it's probably not an issue but for the general masses I think it would be a negative step to do away with it.

I think people largely still associate appearance with efficiency although I'd fully agree this is no proof at all - it's just down to making an effort in presentation.

One problem I think if open neck shirts became the way forward is that I reckon it just looks sloppy in a suit so you would have to wear something else perhaps more expensive. A suit is a simple uniform to put on saving all that hassle of what will I wear today.

Oh and I hate white socks or brown shoes with a dark suit which you see now and again, totally tasteless

As for designer stubble with a suit....still think it looks sloppy

So is the tie old fashioned and should be done away with or does it look smart and give a better impression in the workplace? Or could you not care less -this is the modern age we don't need that pretentious crap?

I don't wear a tie at work, usually just a jumper. On Fridays, we're allowed to wear what we like.

Si.

I quite like wearing a tie, actually! open neck shirts can look good on certain people, but wearing a tie is smart, and a visage of smartness is important in a business, IMO.

dark, grey or pinstriped suit, black shoes, pastel coloured shirt (or white) and a nice tie looks very good, in my eyes.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I've never worn a tie to work here, and I seldom wear a shirt either. Smart casual is our dress code and it seems to work fine. No-one turns up in anything outrageous, and we all look nice and informal which puts our customers at ease.

It does mean that I enjoy looking smart when I have to though.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think everyone should be shirtless to work.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    quiet you!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I think there are certain expectations of how people expect you to look - In a non business environment I think smart casual is much better. I've found farmers hate guys in suits. (One once told one of my colleagues years ago he didn't deserve to eat because he didn't produce anything )

I think if you ever have to a tough situation where credibility is important such as a confontation regarding a serious complaint on service or whatever a shirt and tie can be really useful in raising your profile to get treated properly.

Si.
    What just wearing the tie only?

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm sure you wouldn't wanna see my gut hanging out...

He was saying that wearing a tie was now considered "old hat"....not really an option where I work as it is part of the dresscode along with suit etc.
    Only if you allow it to be. I wok for the DWP and a member of staff took the department to court under the grounds of sexual discrimination for making him where a tie. He one and now we do not need to where ties, so I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Only if you allow it to be. I wok for the DWP and a member of staff took the department to court under the grounds of sexual discrimination for making him where a tie. He one and now we do not need to where ties, so I don't.
    I guess it's a fair point, after all the ladies seem to be able to wear whatever they want....why is that anyway?

That was pretty much the point this man argued.

I don't wear a tie at work, usually just a jumper.
    If you're going to stop wearing your shirt I hope you at least start wearing some pants.

I'm going down the ailse like Marilyn (or Madonna in the "Material girl" video)
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

the dress code in most of the civil service dose seem fairly relaxed in some cases ridiculously relaxed as i've seen numerous people in my building turn up to work in tatty jeans with holes in or tracksuit bottoms and tatty dirty trainers. I personaly think that that is totaly wrong and should not be allowed by management i'm not saying they should have to ware a shirt and tie but people should all ways be at the very least casualy and smartly dressed.

Generaly I tend to ware a casual shirt or T-shirt to work trousers or smart pare of jeans and shoes but I certainly if I had to would not mind waring a shirt and tie I would not really have to many complaints. But I do believe that if you are dealing face to face with the public you should all ways have to ware a shirt and tie and be clean shaven.