Default Being grumpy is good for you

From BBC News:
    In a bad mood? Don't worry - according to research, it's good for you.

An Australian psychology expert who has been studying emotions has found being grumpy makes us think more clearly.

In contrast to those annoying happy types, miserable people are better at decision-making and less gullible, his experiments showed.

While cheerfulness fosters creativity, gloominess breeds attentiveness and careful thinking, Professor Joe Forgas told Australian Science Magazine.

The University of New South Wales researcher says a grumpy person can cope with more demanding situations than a happy one because of the way the brain "promotes information processing strategies".

Professor Joe Forgas asked volunteers to watch different films and dwell on positive or negative events in their life, designed to put them in either a good or bad mood.

Next he asked them to take part in a series of tasks, including judging the truth of urban myths and providing eyewitness accounts of events.

Those in a bad mood outperformed those who were jolly - they made fewer mistakes and were better communicators.

Professor Forgas said: "Whereas positive mood seems to promote creativity, flexibility, co-operation and reliance on mental shortcuts, negative moods trigger more attentive, careful thinking, paying greater attention to the external world."

The study also found that sad people were better at stating their case through written arguments, which Forgas said showed that a "mildly negative mood may actually promote a more concrete, accommodative and ultimately more successful communication style".

His earlier work shows the weather has a similar impact on us - wet, dreary days sharpened memory, while bright sunny spells make people forgetful.
    So are you a grumpy person?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

well like any body I have my periods of grumpiness but I can't honestly say being grumpy or always moaning about things has ever made be think more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

Si xx
    You'd better ask Viv that question, she'd say I'm grumpy all the time.
    Going by that research I should be in almost perfect health and should perform well under pressure. But tbh, I think it goes at odds to the way I feel though.

Well I will be now I know it's good for me.

If being grumpy is good for people's brains, why does Ebenezer Wallis not rule the world?

Bah, this survey is rubbish!

Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Thankyou, Mr. Meldrew, your view has been noted!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

Si xx
    And what's it got to do with you, nosey ?

I'm fairly grumpy, but I think it's being pessimistic rather than grumpy that sharpens my focus and attention to detail. Certainly it doesn't usually take me long to spot the obvious flaws in someone else's plans, especially at work.

Of course what makes me really grumpy is when they have the nerve to suggest that the only reason their useless plans fail is because people are being too negative about them
    Bazinga !

What a bizarre conclusion to make. Grumpy = Unhappy surely. So what is he saying, being unhappy is good? Being unhappy will make you happy? Surely any benefits in "decision making" will be outweighed by the enormous drag factor of being a miserable old git that nobody likes.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    I'm fairly grumpy, but I think it's being pessimistic rather than grumpy that sharpens my focus and attention to detail. Certainly it doesn't usually take me long to spot the obvious flaws in someone else's plans, especially at work.

Of course what makes me really grumpy is when they have the nerve to suggest that the only reason their useless plans fail is because people are being too negative about them
    So you don't love it when a plan comes together?

I know what you mean - as a test analyst it's my job to constantly critique everything, and it's habit forming. It means I'm a bit questioning and sceptical, but not so far as to be grumpy.

But I think they are traits you need in this modern day. Just look at advertising, if you believed all their claims, you'd be a bit upset that you're not conquoring the appearance of fine lines, washing your whites whiter, or cutting through grease and grime in half the time.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......