Default Great Acts of the 21st Century

We were having a chat about this at the weekend, but I'd like to throw this open to a wider forum.

Who are the greatest acts of the last ten years? What new bands, groups or artists have come through and taken the world by storm?

It was quite difficult for us to say. So many music groups that are around now started in the 1990's. We've had so many reformations, it's been hard to tell what decade we're in sometimes.

So tell us, who are your favourite music acts of the 21st Century, what's so great about them and when you first heard them!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's difficult because by definition anyone who started this decade has not yet had time to stamp their 'longevity' card - I once had a conversation with my Dad where-in he argued that none of the current acts "are long lasting, like the classic bands". But then, they can't possibly prove something that hasn't happened can they? Who could have predicted that the Pet Shop Boys would still be going strong two decades on?

For my money, I would rate Beyonce (in the solo sense) as one of the greatest stars of this decade and Arctic Monkeys are probably one of the groups most likely to still be around in 20 years time. And, I guess, you'd have to say Coldplay too.

Si.

You'd have to say Coldplay, but you wouldn't have to say it with conviction!

Coldplay is fair enough, their first album was in 2000 so arguably they would have started in 1999, but they didn't break it big until A Rush of Blood To The Head.

I really hate The Arctic Monkeys and I couldn't hum or name a single Beyonce song. But they've both been very successful this decade.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Unfortunately Coldplay are likely to be around for decades to come as well!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'd have to say Keane, a band who have really matured over the last few years and deserve all the plaudits they get - they seem to be really loved by the British public too, and it's clear from interviews and on stage comments that it's a mutual feeling. It nearly all ended for them a few years ago when Tom Chaplin went through his drugs/alcohol problems but thankfully he came out of it, stronger. They've never been pretentious or thought they were bigger than any other band (even when Oasis attacked them they still respected them), they just work hard and make great albums - I hope they'll be with us for a few more years yet.

People are always saying "Because of downloading leaked albums there will never be a band who sells millions like the Beatles ever again."

Yeah, but didn't they used to say "Because of all the new channels there will never be family viewing programming ever again?" and then along came X Factor and of course Doctor Who.

Really difficult question this. Some terrific music has been made but the public seems to have lost interest in them around their second album?
    "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley is my choice for "Greatest Number 1 of the 00's" but come the second album (which was equally as good) you couldn't give it away?

So it will probably be Coldplay then... (The Hardest Part. There, that's it)

Of course, there was that band I heard on the radio back in 2005 or thereabouts, who did an interesting disco cover of 'Comfortably Numb'.

Ah yes! The Scissor Sisters. They may be a bit too flamboyant for everyone's tastes, but they're pretty good musicians who are capable of writing a catchy and tuneful pop-song. They've had a fair amount of success, including a number one single - back when that still mattered to people!

I'd say Franz Ferdinand. They've done some awesome stuff since 2004- some great singles, some great videos and pretty decent albums too (especially Tonight which seems to be my album of the year). They're a classy live act as well.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Interesting idea for a thread, and as some have said, quite difficult on the face of it.

I'd definitely agree with mention of Beyoncé, as co-incidentally I was listening to 'Crazy In Love' a couple of days ago thinking as a track it almost sums up the decade, imo.

Hmmmm well, others I'd nominate are.....

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Dizzee Rascal
    Sia (Furler, singer on a lot of Zero 7 albums)
    Elbow
    Girls Aloud
    Postal Service (even though they only made 1 album!)

And you might possibly put in Lily Allen & The Streets?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pink deserves a nod, although she "burst on to the scene" very early into the decade so she might not count! She's had a lot of hits though and by all accounts she's an excellent live performer with acrobatics and all sorts. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but in some ways she's the perfect pop star - she comes back with a new album every few years, the first single is always a biggie and then she has a successful tour and more hit singles and then she buggers off and the cycle starts again.

Her long over due Greatest Hits should be a goody.

It is indeed hard to pick 'em out.

I think even Coldplay are technically a 90s band, and I remember their music video was on a lot in 99 when I was ill with tonsilitis. I heard them again in 2005, and I thought they were still playing the same song - but it was about 2 albums later!

Two acts I really have enjoyed which are new would be Muse and The White Stripes, but again they probably have their roots in the 90s as well!

There have certainly been a lot of amazing singers come through as well - Amy Winehouse, Duffy and Regina Spektor.

But really it's been an era where music is so dominated by the awfulness of X-Factory type programs, where "new fresh acts" involve being just a cover band basically.

It's probably no surpise my MP3 seems to be stuck in a timewarp to better times ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

The Feeling have been pretty good so far and looks like they're in the long haul. Two good albums in I think they're doing pretty well.

Si xx

What about Robbie Williams (the majority of his solo career has been this decade?), Black Eyed Peas, Christina Aguilera?

Si.

They're all 90s acts in my view. The Black Eyed Peas have been knocking around for a LONG time, Robbie had his first hit in '96, and Aggy in '99.

It depends how we're defining the thread?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I don't see the logic in drawing boundaries on exact years! If someone has enjoyed a major career through the 2000's, then that should qualify them as a great act of the decade! Even if they existed before 31st December 1999. And certainly for someone like Xtina. Are we saying she isn't a great act of this decade, but would have been if her first single had been released a few months later?!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Si speaks the truth. Pulp were one of the great acts of the 90s - would you say they weren't just because they formed in 1978 and didn't hit the charts until 1993?

I was simply going from Steve's original post that started the thread...

What new bands, groups or artists have come through and taken the world by storm?
    So no, I personally wouldn't count Robbie, Christina or Black Eyed Peas as new acts of the 21st century, because they're not.

But you're perfectly welcome to.

Katherine Jenkins is quite splendid and talented, and will doubtless be around for a long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Si speaks the truth. Pulp were one of the great acts of the 90s - would you say they weren't just because they formed in 1978 and didn't hit the charts until 1993?
    But I think perhaps the point of Steves original post was this was about trying to select new bands which have burst into the scene, rather than a new band which is continually refining (and hopefully improving) their material.

For all this though - it's interesting. A bit like Pulp, there used to be bands who would "burst onto the music scene" with their 3rd or more album. I remember in the 90s when everything went Radiohead crazy over OK Computer which was their 3rd album. I tracked down their 2nd album The Bends which is a little rawer and less polished, but still very much Radiohead. But their 1st album Pablo, Honey doesn't really feel very Radiohead at all.

I guess groups today with recording studios being a lot cheaper to rent etc (I mean my friend from Farnborough used to use one for his cover band), many bands are releasing a much slicker, more produced first album, where the songs are just overall better, rather than taking several records to get into their stride.

That's me theory anyway - feel free to swiss cheese it ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    many bands are releasing a much slicker, more produced first album, where the songs are just overall better, rather than taking several records to get into their stride.
    ...and are being dropped by the major record companies at an alarming rate before getting to develop their sound futher?
    If Pink Floyd were signed now they would have been dropped after "A Saucerful of Secrets" (It didn't top the charts...FAILURE!!!) and it's been quite stormy for independant labels as well. But that's another kettle of fish, how independant is Rough Trade really when it's quite a well known name?

Bloc Party. Their first album topped the charts in 2005 and the follow ups flopped so badly they are currently "on a break" only two albums later.

Is the amount of music on Myspace to blame? A lot of acts have lowered their expectations I've noticed? They stick some tunes up on Myspace and aim for a cult folllowing ("And if anyone else likes it, that's a bonus..") Arctic Monkeys had a manager so the "Unsigned band who came from nowhere thanks to Myspace" isn't really true. And worse, when a band does seem to break like The Libertines they implode before they've even had a chance to sink or swim? (Which wasn't really that great a loss IMO...)

So it's not been the decade for guitar bands like the 90's was. And worse X Factor winners seem to come and go? Wht's Will Young doing these days?

So here we are at the original question "Who have been the breakthrough acts this decade?" From scratch in 2000? ...*. But if we include bands on the Pulp principle then Muse would be in with a shout.

To be honest... I think this country has lost the ability to produce brave new bands who make great music that also achieve commerical successes?
    They are either just not fighting hard enough, or they are too priced out by hiring small venues (which are slowly being bought up by companies and renamed "Academies" until we'll end up with live music as exciting as McDonalds) and the best thing I've heard this year?...

...The Beatles reissues. I know I'm old. (35) But I'm not that old and this decade has simply not been up to scratch?

*=Oh wait! Kings of Leon... yeah um...

This decade's been perfectly "up to scratch" Imo. Music's on a roll right now and single sales are higher than they've EVER been before. Where's Will Young? Er... Promoting his Greatest Hits which will probably be to of the album charts next week? Doh!

Si.

Yeah in this age you can imagine the Beatles being dropped from their record label when they changed their image part-way through the 60s.

And Si Hunt - there are many ways to measure music - chart position isn't the be all and end all. Otherwise God forbid we'd be announcing Crazy Frog as one of the decades greatest musicians!!! And likewise procaliming "Shut up a ya face" as a greater classic than "Vienna".

oooh! How about Goldfrapp?

Si xx

Captain Tancredi Guest

The shopping centre I sometimes pass through at lunchtime has taken to playing Goldfrapp's 'Happiness' as part of its background music, which strikes me as taking missing the point of the song to a new level.

Weird thing, though- until my major Goldfrapp phase last year, I had it in my head that I'd seen Alison Goldfrapp's name on a hoarding or a magazine when I was at Bristol (1990-3), but looking at the dates that's more or less impossible as she was still pretty much a jobbing vocalist at the time. What I might be doing (if this makes sense) is misremembering seeing some of the publicity and reviews for 'Felt Mountain' when I revisited Canterbury in 2000 and mentally placing them in the time when I actually lived there (1993-5).