Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    You ought to bear in mind that some people probably don't even consider SJA canonical [...] I suppose we should be grateful you weren't around in the days of Marion von Wer, who didn't even consider the Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy years as canonical...
    Oh come on, if there's one thing we can agree on, it's that those are two totally unreasonable viewpoints. Unless there's a definite and irreconcilable break in continuity (like in Dimensions in Time), there's no reason why a story shouldn't be considered canonical, is there?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

If it works for them, who cares? Why even bother arguing about a point of view held by someone who hasn't even been a member of the forum for years? It's only preferences anyway, and they can't be "reasonable", by their very nature.

Talk of canon = a mostly meaningless load of old cobblers, basically.

I agree with Si that series 3 has been (so far anyway) absolutely top-notch, and the best lot yet.

[pedant] And, er, I think it was Plantagenet from Frontios, not Mr Range. [/pedant]

I may regret asking, but how does DiT irreconcilably break with continuity?

Si. :mobile

I may regret asking
    Indeed Monitor, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I may regret asking, but how does DiT irreconcilably break with continuity?

Si. :mobile
    Well, it features many characters from Eastenders, which would imply that the two shows take place in the same fictional universe. This is contradicted by Army of Ghosts, which establishes that Eastenders is just a TV show in the DW Universe. So this creates a direct clash, I'm sure you'll agree.

Therefore, one of these episodes can't be canon. In a decision between the New Series and Dimensions in Time...well, it's just no contest, is it?

Also, no explanation is given for K-9's appearance in DiT. What's up with that?

...Oh, who am I kidding?

If it's any comfort, I believe that on the popular Planet Walford and Outpost Beale websites, Dimensions in Time is regarded as a similarly irritating thorn in the canon continuity debate. From big details like 'how come Pauline and Frank aren't dead in 2013' to the colour of the Queen Vic in 1973, it's caused many a long night of fevered internet debate.

I really liked this one.
    Me too - we finished watching it and I though "what a corking episode". Surprised to see people didn't like it too much. But I think you either ran with it and enjoyed the ride, or didn't.

Kind of felt a bit like SJA does "Out of the rain". And Mona Lisa made a superb villain, really enjoyed her performance.

Also why couldn't she exist outside the gallery? Was this ever explained?
    I don't think it was, but would guess she couldn't be too far away from her brother.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

It was because sunlight would cause her pigment to fade.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I don't know if anyone else has said this yet, but did anyone notice the reference to 'Planet of the Dead'? (Curator mentioned the Cup of Althelstan theft to the police.)

Nicely picked up - I don't think I've ever noticed that.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......