Default Michael Moorcock writing a Doctor Who Novel!

Blimey! One of the most respected SF/ fantasy writers in the UK is writing a DW novel for next Christmas!!

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=12620

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Interestingly, he says that BBC Books approached his agent. This is amazing / bizarre / potentially brilliant news!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

How strange - typically he's the kind of writer you can't imagine writing anyone elses stuff but his own - interesting to see what what he'll do.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

So can we expect a whole gamut of different versions of the Doctor (Time's Champion) getting together at some multiversal meeting point ?

And which one will inexpicably become naked ?
    Bazinga !

It's on the BBC News today: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8362658.stm

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

Can't say I've heard of him... is he better than Lawrence Miles?

Yes, he's better than Lawrence Miles. This will help explain just what an influential and important writer he is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

I notice he's 70 next month, which surely makes him the oldest author in Who history? Definitely the oldest debut, at least

I've always said we needed Moorcock in Doctor Who.

Si.

Oh my!

Si xx

Some details of his novel, The Coming of the Terraphiles
    A Doctor Who event, forty-five years in the making! Science-fiction and fantasy giant Michael Moorcock, the influential and award-winning writer of the Elric Saga and Mother London, pens BBC Book's first epic Doctor Who adventure. Miggea: a world on the edge of reality, a point where space-time threatens to collapse, and the venue for the grand finals of the competition to win the fabled Arrow of Law. The Doctor and Amy join the Terraphiles, one of the teams of contestants determined to win the Arrow. But the Doctor has another reason for taking part in the contest -- and the safety of the whole universe depends on who wins.
    Si xx

Just saw this listed on amazon.com. List price is $25 (17 pounds for most of you), so I guess this wants to be considered a "real" novel and not a tie-in novel, and I can only assume like a "real" novel it will be released in paperback down the line. Odd.

It's here! It's here!

My copy came in yesterday. Probably won't even crack the spine till January, but it has in fact arrived. Woo hoo.

I thought it was a remarkably large book - an inch bigger all round than the standard releases!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

An extra inch morecock is never a bad thing.

Si.

Oh my!

(Actually, you won't find me complaining in that department, and we'll leave it at that.)

I've just finished reading this actually, and it's part hardcore SF, part PG Wodehouse pastiche, part space opera. If you like any of these, great. As it sends up cricket, if you like all three, you'll like it four times more than I did. The main villains are there briefly, and also for effect and/or because the author imported them in from his other works, and used them therefore simply because he could, which he's at least admitted. I can't say very much about the book because I read a fair bit of it on autopilot, I was that desperate to get it finished, but I'd invested too much time in it not to. It was a pleasure to get rid of the drippy Wooster types and the not-quite eleventh Doctor.

Wow, people seem to really not like this book!

Perhaps they'll do some more with other authors. Dan Brown and JK Rowling have been contacted, I'd be sure.

Ouch, yeah, just popped over to Amazon.com and the comments are pretty brutal. Reviews on Amazon.co.uk aren't so bad, but apparently the book is enjoyable for Moorcock fans who know the guy's other work, and a total mishmash for everyone else.

As I fall into the everyone else category, never having read any of his stuff, I'm a little leery now. Bummer.

I've (literally) read a couple of his fantasy novels as preparation for this one and quite enjoyed them, but I'll be a bit wary of trying any more of his works in future.