Thread: 3.6 The Gift

Default 3.6 The Gift

The Sarah Jane Adventures reach the finale of season 3- The Gift starting tonight.

What did you think of it?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I know a song called 'The Gift'.

It's by The Velvet Underground and is about a guy who mails himself to his girlfriend because he can't afford the bus. Then his girlfriend opens the parcel by stabbing it with a huge pair of scissors...

I doubt that the SJS story will be anything like that.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    It's by The Velvet Underground and is about a guy who mails himself to his girlfriend because he can't afford the bus. Then his girlfriend opens the parcel by stabbing it with a huge pair of scissors...
    Wouldn't mailing yourself be more expensive these days? £2 for the bus, or £50 to mail an adult human?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

And they're bound to go on strike just after you posted it, so you'd have to face a week stuck in a sorting office as well.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I hope he remembered to put air holes in the packaging.

Waldo Jeffers does indeed remember the air-holes:

http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/th.../the_gift.html

And remember this was America in the 60's, when mail got delivered for a low, low price.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Is that his real name? Sounds like a Master-esque alias for Wayne Jefferies.

Si.

Well anyway, bit of a disappointing episode this week. Very limply directed. And the subplot about Clyde using K-9 to cheat at a biology test was dull, dull, dull.

Even with Simon Callow and Miriam Margolyes as the Blathereen!

Miriam Margolyes is long overdue a role in Doctor Who! She deserved better than this.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It was certainly a bit... uneventful, for a season finale. Maybe, to be fair, we've just been spoiled over the past few weeks with some real corkers!

It's an okay story, I think, but not worthy of the finale slot. IMO, I think they should have put The Mad Old Woman in the Attic first, this story second, and the Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith last. That would have been a much better series.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I agree, it's such an odd choice for a season finale. It would be a bit like swapping around the running order of, say, season 8 so that The Daemons is mid-season and Colony is the last one.

That said, I enjoyed part 2, but again it was nothing outstanding. It's almost as if somebody somewhere believes that the Slith/Blathereen are always a popular hit, so any story with them is automatically a hit (bit like the Dalek factor). I mean, maybe they are, but I don't get that impression somehow.

In the end, I rather enjoyed that!

I think knowing that the Slitheen / Blathereen were voiced by Simon Callow and Miriam Margolyes really helped. The direction was still really limp though.