Thread: Netbooks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Netbooks

Does anyone have or have used netbooks? I'm thinking of buying one for my sister's birthday. She has talked about saving up for a laptop mainly for Facebook, shopping and her son's school website. I couldn't really afford a laptop, and I don't think she'd want me to spend that sort of money. So I thought a netbook would do and she can save for a external DVD drive.
    The range is amazing. As are the prices; some of them are so high, buying a low end laptop would be more sensible.
    However, I didn't really want to go above £200. And has anyone gone down the refurbished route?

Ideas welcome.

Last time I suggested a netbook to someone the guy turned around and bought an iPhone.

I love my Advent netbook with a passion, it's a very capable machine. Ideally look for an XP platform which are a bit more expensive but worth it. Linux is a lot of fun, but you can do so much more with the XP, and personalise it too.

I think this is something similar to mine ...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

Only with extra memory. I kind of suspect some of these models are "refurbished" because they were originally 524MB memory (as mine was) and upgraded to 1GB memory.

Netbooks are portable, and very easy to carry around - I carry mine in a rucksack whereas I need the full on satchel and accessories to carry my laptop. I've managed to add loads of programs to mine, and found it works a lot better than my dualcore laptop.

I would suggest you buy a slip case as well ...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...ory_oid=-37794

Before I bought I put any model I was interested into Google with the word "review" ...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptop...211-Netbook/p1

There were a couple I was interested in, but they had issues. I think perhaps the greatest danger buying one, is you will probably want one yourself! I ended up buying one for my parents, and I think my brother despite his very expensive laptop, could see some serious appeal in it.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Thanks Mike! I was looking at an Acer model, but then read that they have issues with cracked screens.
    I'm not sure about PC World, though. They don't always have the best reputation.

Interestingly, the Advent looks as though it is a rebranded
    MSI Wind. Or vice versa.

Pip Madeley Guest

I was looking at an Acer model, but then read that they have issues with cracked screens.
    Not sure if that only applies to Netbooks, but my laptop is an Acer (coming up to 18 months old) and the screen's perfectly fine.

Steve has one of these. He's always singing its praises and could probably tell you more about it. It does interne, word processing etc and comes in just under £200.

Steve could probabyl tell you more about it though.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Thanks Si!

Not sure if that only applies to Netbooks, but my laptop is an Acer (coming up to 18 months old) and the screen's perfectly fine.

Yeah, actually, it was a completely different model they were talking about after all.

I know it's just my opinion - but I'd avoid the Acer netbooks. I actually got one, and ended up taking it back. One issue was the Linux system which I kept crashing trying to configure it.

The other - and look this up - is the fan noise. Acer netbooks did have an issue with a really loud onboard fan in 2008 - they might have addressed this, but it's worth checking up on.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-no...sin=B001EYV9TM
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

My girlfriend has an Asus, and she absolutely sings its praises!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Captain Tancredi Guest

Funnily enough, this question is now vexing me in a way which I hadn't anticipated a couple of days ago.

The situation is that although there's nothing actually wrong with this eMac, it's over five years old now and it does occasionally struggle with some online media (the Flash requirements of the iPlayer are beyond it now, for example). I was looking at laptops on the grounds that I'd quite like something portable that I can use either for iPlayer or as a portable DVD player, only this lunchtime I was in Currys and didn't realise that some netbooks do have quite reasonable size screens and for the £200 difference in price I'm not too worried about the DVD player. Oh well- more investigating to come, I think, especially as my folks have offered to put some money towards it, but probably also need to speak to an actual person about what I'm looking for.

I picked up a seperate DVD drive sometime for the few times I need one for my netbook, which was about 40 quid I think.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Yes, funnily enough I noticed that in the PC World catalogue about half an hour ago!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Well, after a word with one of the staff in PC World it looks as if a netbook might not be the answer after all. They don't really seem to be compatible with my current set-up (BT broadband with a home hub) so I'd need another provider, which means another contract. And by the time you start adding it all up- either about £250 plus top-ups to buy most netbooks outright or "free" with a 24-month contract at around £20 a month, plus an external disc drive, plus another £30 for Norton, you're starting to get into the realms where for what I want, there's not much difference in price compared to buying a new laptop which will work with my broadband connection.

Really? I've moved around a lot with my netbook, and never had an issue connecting it to a wireless network.

Even if for some reason BT is incompatable ... all you probably need is ...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

I would be really wary of what this guy has said, as I've not heard anything like this before, and it sounds like hard sell for getting you to buy more than you need. It kind of makes me furious when they do that.

In fact looking through google for "bt broadband netbook problem" I found no site. With a bit more digging I found ...

http://www.shop.bt.com/learn-more/co...ange-4985.html

That the BT shop sells netbooks - an odd thing if they're incompatable with your system. I bought a netbook last year, and you don't need to have the Norton package - there are several very competent free virus protection programs out there, such as AVG ...

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-a...s-free-edition

Captain Tancredi Guest

Shh! I was speaking to my dad earlier and I'm starting to win him round to the idea of a laptop!

Even without the BT connection issue (if there is one- I can't quite get my head round how a netbook knows that it's supposed to connect to a particular network- does it just look for a wireless signal when it's switched on and find the BT one in my lounge?) I think the key thing is the ongoing cost- even just factoring in an external disc drive at, say, £50, you're looking at £300 plus top-ups if I do want to use it away from home, as against £400 for a laptop with dual core processor running Windows 7.

Sure thing - everything is down to how you actually use it!

Sorry - I just get real annoyed when the sales folks at PC World talk someone into something they don't need. I've seen someone walk in after a word processor, and they leave buying the most expensive desktop in the shop cos they've been bamboozled into spending perhaps twice what they needed.

I have a laptop and netbook at the moment - I treated myself to the netbook after I sold my bike I wasn't taking to NZ for a lot more. The netbook is great to take along with you, connect to the internet everywhere, and great to kind of surf from the couch whilst watching something else.

The laptop which is dual-core I can do more crunching type work, like when I need to compile a video (which is still frustratingly slow).

Of course for raw power, and upgradability, you can't beat a desktop. Just not very portable.

I can't quite get my head round how a netbook knows that it's supposed to connect to a particular network- does it just look for a wireless signal when it's switched on and find the BT one in my lounge?)
    When I connect my xbox to my PC, it instantly located half a dozen wireless signals. One of them my own, and the rest from (presumeably) neighbouring flats. I suspect netbooks will do the same.

I've got to agree with Mike on this.
    It sound just like the PC World guy is trying to 'up-sell' you on a range of stuff you just don't need.

AVG (anti-virus) is free; Zone Alarm (firewall) is free; and as long as you've upgraded to IE 8 or run a different browser you should be safe from the nasties on the net.

And, yes, wireless is just like that; you just turn it on and - if it's the first time to connect to a wireless network the machine will show a list of wireless networks in range (and the range is tens of meters if not further), you just put in your details and away you go. The next time you turn it on, it will find the list and automatically connect.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

I'm seriously considering a Netbook.

The number priority on specing one up for me is that it's large enough to get in Steve's field of view when he's watching the TV .

Okay, on a more serious note, what I'm after is something cheap but reasonable. I don't want a slouch of a processor, but 1.5Ghz Atom is okay; 1GB of RAM fine; a 5400rpm HDD is okay as well. Wi-Fi built-in, Mobile Internet can be got via a dongle; the same for Bluetooth.

I plan to talk to Steve about Netbooks and his Netbook tomorrow, and then get the D250 regardless
    Always have an Edge

I'm undecided between the D250 and the Samsung N130. What I've noticed is that the specs for netbooks is virtually identical, with only battery life, colour and brand reliability to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil L View Post
    I plan to talk to Steve about Netbooks and his Netbook tomorrow, and then get the D250 regardless
    I don't know why I've looked at that when I already own a similar. But looks really good.

Looking at the pictures of the underside, it's nice to see there are proper laptop-like access panels to allow upgrade of memory/change harddisk which mine lacks - and gets a big plus from me. I had to upgrade the memory on mine, and it was a really annoying process as you have to dismantle the whole thing.

Well, I've changed my mind (again).
    I've gone with a Samsung N120; the full sized keyboard was the deciding factor in the end; it should be turning up this week.
    Always have an Edge

That wasn't the one advertised on the tube was it?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It was a Samsung advertised on the Tube, but it probably was the latest model which is the N140.
    Always have an Edge

I ordered the Samsung N130. Amazon had the best price and Samsung will give me £20 cashback.

If you're ordering stuff off Amazon, don't forget you can affiliate your purchase and raise money to help play for this very forum!

http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/affiliates.php
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!