Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

My subscriber copy hasn't arrived yet either Dave.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Mine neither - there's a thread on OG (of course) and it sounds like a lot of copies are still 'en route'. Apparently there was some kind of embargo on the cover, so that they weren't allowed to post them out until last Wednesday (usually they do it a couple of days earlier) and I guess that, coupled with the snow, has caused the delay.

Has anyone seen it in the shops yet ? Don't really want to fight my way through the icy roads to find the shops haven't got it.
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Has anyone seen it in the shops yet ? Don't really want to fight my way through the icy roads to find the shops haven't got it.

YEP! Got my copy from my local newsagent Thursday as normal.

All that's about to change though, after collecting it from the newsagent for almost thirty years Viv's taken on a subscription for me.
    Last edited by Stephen Morgan; 12th Jan 2010 at 2:11 AM.

Got ours from Smiths at Liverpool St station. Great Moffat interview and apparently they've found some colour cini footage of the Shawcroft workshop where you can see a few early Doctor Who monsters in colour for the first time! This is on the Space Musuem dvd!

Si. :mobile

Smiths in Loughton had them in on Thursday as well.

I've really enjoyed this one - loved the Moffatt and Tennant interviews (though they should have a proper break from him now) and the reviews as usual. Wasn't AS keen on the Moffatt column or the Barrowman interview which was unreadable - a whole load of flirty, injokey rubbish. And the Smith/Gillen stuff was a little too casual as well, but still nice to hear from them. I haven't quite made up my mind if I like Matt Smith as a person yet.

I did like the giant Martin Penny poster, though if I can find some wallspace I'd like to put the Episode Guide up - it reminds me of the eighties, when I used to pour over such things, and it's nice to see Tennants episodes racked up next to all the other Doctors. It does make you realise just how much he's done - he's got more stories than any other Doctor apart from Tom!! And it has to be said that the Eccleson, McGann, Colin Baker and even McCoy/Davison runs look a little feeble on the chart next to his.

Si.

Yes, there've been five Doctors who've joined and left since Davison, and yet more than half of the post-Davison stories up to the present are Tennants. 31 for Colin, McCoy, McGann and Eccleston put together and 36 for Tennant!

And people call Who fans anoraks!

Someone online said Matt Smith looks like Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines had a love child.

He does rather!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaT View Post
    Someone online said Matt Smith looks like Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines had a love child.
    I think that somebody needs to lie down and read less slash fiction...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    I think that somebody needs to lie down and read less slash fiction...
    Well you just don't want me to have any fun.

The Barry Letts tribute is well researched but I feel some of the criticism is misplaced. I can see what he was trying to do, but I don't believe the success of something should be revised decades later. The comments about "Planet of the Spiders" are nonsense, as it was thought of as a classic for years after broadcast. I think Marcus Hearn goes a little too far the other way when trying to be balanced, and while praise is given for many decisions, and the overall tone is positive, there doesn't seem to be any part of Letts' career for which he doesn't point out what he perceives the failures to be, even if they were successes at the time.

Si. :mobile

I wonder if my subscription copy will ever turn up?

Si xx

Jason's came today.

There's no answer to that!

Mine too! I agree with Si about the Barry Letts piece - obviously, not everything he tried or did was an unqualified success, but it strikes a very odd note in the article. Plus some of the criticisms are bizarrely presented as facts, such as the criticism of Planet of the Spiders over-indulgent chase scene. Unconvincing CSO is a fact, a criticism of such a scene is surely just opinion.

That aside, though, it's an excellent issue so far, the strip is good, the interviews excellent, Moffat in particular making a load of excellent points in his - and even praising up the McCoy era, while at the same time not wholly embracing the 'the Doctor could regenerate into a woman' idea. Hurrah!!

What a great cover!

Si xx

It is a bit, isn't it?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I can't believe DWM has been around for 31 years and they've never thought to do a feature on the Daleks before.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Hmm...

They used to love the Daleks.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

DWM was born to serve the Daleks.

Got the new issue today, and yes, while the cover is absolutely fabulous, I've got two words to say about this month's mag:

Beth Willis.

(Oh yes, ladies and gentlemen, the Pervhound is back. )

Yes - where did she suddenly appear from? She'll make Confidential a little more enjoyable.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.