Default Your Least Favourite Christmas Songs

There are some great Christmas songs (that you begin to hear somewhere around the middle of Novemeber these days)... you know the ones that get you singing along and that make you smile...

But there are also the really annoying ones that just set your teeth on edge as soon as you hear them. The ones that make you more angry than festive... the ones you'd happily never hear again.

What are the Christmas songs you don't like? And why don't you like them?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I could be a Scrouge and say all of them but I won't. The ones I really hate are Shakin Stevens Merry Christmas Everybody and Cliff's Mistletoe and Wine just because they are rolled out every christmas and once heard never forgotten. I also hate any that are used on adverts because by the end of christmas they have been played to death.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

I'm not a big fan of Bing's "White Christmas".

I don't mind the song so much when other people cover it but his version is tugid beyond your imagining. He saps all the life out of it. Smelly old grandad pants.

There are also thankfully some brilliant Christmas songs too.

But i kind of loathe Last Christmas by Wham. It's just turgid beyond belief.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Fortunately there's an alternative to Wham! in the shape of our own Miss Rose Tyler....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf3fliDJgCA

There's one called Silver Bells that was on our looped Xmas music at work a couple of years ago in 2 different versions, so I heard it twice as often as the others - I hate it.

Oh yes, Matt, I agree! Silver Bells is wretched and horrid in all its many cover versions. It saps all your will to live slowly and surely through 3 minutes.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I know I'm going to get lynched for saying this, but back when I was doing nightshift work they seemed to constantly play "Fairytale of New York" on the radio every night to the point where I got sick to death of hearing it.

Thankfully, whilst I still wouldn't call it a favourite, a few years on I can at least appreciate it again.

I also hve to agree with Mitch Benn in that "Santa Claus is coming to town" is nothing but a series of menacing threats to a deceptively jaunty tune; I hope his Christmas podcast from a couple of years back is still available on iTunes, as I'd suggest people listen to the "slasher flick" version he made and plays in it!
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by cullsoft View Post
    I know I'm going to get lynched for saying this, but back when I was doing nightshift work they seemed to constantly play "Fairytale of New York" on the radio every night to the point where I got sick to death of hearing it.
    I know what you mean - it is indeed a classic, but it's the period of the year that certain songs do get played a lot and can become a little irritating after a while.

The CIA replays the same song to prisoners in order to break them. If that song is Last Christmas they don't stand a chance.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

David Essex's "A Winters Tale" is the spawn of Satan.

Si.

The worst christmas song is Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas by Paul McCartney. Its awful. Its like he knocked it together whilst whacked out on booze and drugs in two minutes whilst have a giant poo on the toilet.

I HATE IT!!!! Musically its horrible, consisting of one key being pushed on a wibbly keyboard to make it sound jolly. Well its not. William is more musically talented and he's only 3.

I quite like it!

Si.

It's not as good as 'Christmas Time Is Here Again' by the Beatles, where they repeat the title of the song with less and less enthusiasm for two solid minutes.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

That sounds better.

Oh and "Do They Know Its Christmas?" No they don't, now go away! Its the most miserable christmas song / song ever. Depressing, pompous and with lyrics so stupid and patronising it makes Paul McCartney's song seem like a work of literature. And the way Midge Ure talks about it, you'd think it had won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

I'm sick of Little Drummer Boy already.

Rahpumpabloodypum

Si. :mobile

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I don't like A Winter's Tale, Lonely Pup (in a Christmas Shop), that wailing Kate bush one, Ronan Keatings Fairytale cover, and Christmas Day by Dido.

Quote Originally Posted by cullsoft View Post
    Finally! I've hated it since the late 80's and still do. I can get my record for switching the radio/TV off down to the fourth note of the piano introduction!
    How fast can you switch over if you get the chance? Seriously, if ever I'm in a coma play it to me, I will wake up and proceed to kill everything in sight!
    This is not a pop at Kirsty! She is great! It's one of life's injustice she should be remembered for this crap!
    Although it will be a merry christmas for me after all! I've finally heard of someone who can't stand this bloody song!

Thankfully, whilst I still wouldn't call it a favourite, a few years on I can at least appreciate it again.
    ...Oh....rrrright...awkward...