Default Have we got a 2010 Series Trailer Thread Yet?

I know you're probably all chatting away about this merrily in the 'What We Know' thread, but that trailer looked really cool.

Funny looking redesigned Daleks - Woo!
    Sword fighting - Woo!
    What's inside the TARDIS? - Woo!

And the whole tone, feel and look of the show is different. It's not nearly as bright or as colourful as the previous five years from the look of the trailer.

And isn't Matt Smith exciting?

And doesn't Amy Pond... uh... fail to make any impression whatsoever apart from being pretty?

Oh and guards with guns, caves and vampire weridos. It's all new!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

What do we think about them doing a Vampire story?

Si.

I for one think they'd better get the continuity right!

Because let's face it, that's all I ever care about.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

They look like Vampires. They probably are Vampires, but whether they're Haemovores or aliens or whatever remains to be seen.

Doctor Who now has an established trend on cashing in on popular trends, so if they decide to have a Twilight-style episode then every woman in the country will tune in.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    And doesn't Amy Pond... uh... fail to make any impression whatsoever apart from being pretty?
    Oh, I don't know... I quite like that surprised wide-eyed stare she does a few times in there.

Well seeing as how they don't show any clips of her speaking in the trailer, that's not really her fault!

I'm sure she'll be fine, but it's right that for a trailer giving the first glimpses of the new series, the emphasis was on the visuals - the new monsters and Mat Smith particuarly.

Si.

That's fair enough. When the show came back in 2005 the attention was hugely devoted to Rose as the companion, so it seems odd to me now that it should be much more on the Doctor. Though I suppose he is the established character.

I wonder if the bombastic new trailer music (which sounds very much like Murray Gold) suggests he'd back next year? Coupled with no announcement to the contrary?

I'd been hoping the Sarah Jane composer bloke would take over.

Si.

I had a feeling of cold dread hearing that music I was sure I'd heard Mr Gold was off to LA to annoy people there or something? Not that I can be sure it's his music, but it might as well be listening to it. Oh well.

And can you remember back in 2004/2005 the reams and reams of stuff there was dissecting how Billie Piper said the word "Rose" in the trailer? And entire critiques of her acting ability were spawned off the back of one word? And then they went and re-dubbed it in the finished version anyway. So let's not fall into the trap of judging how good an actor someone is on the basis of few snippets of them not doing very much in a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    They look like Vampires. They probably are Vampires, but whether they're Haemovores or aliens or whatever remains to be seen.
    Since they seem to be swashbuckling swordfighting vampires, and there's a shot with someone who looks like the Swiss guard (the ones that guard the Vatican) maybe we're getting an adaptation of Managra

But what will 'the Doctor isn't violent' brigade of fans make of the pistol-packing, head punching Matt Smith ? It's like the Seeds of Doom all over again !
    Last edited by Jon Masters; 2nd Jan 2010 at 9:35 PM. Reason: Being unable to type in English
    Bazinga !

I was wondering that! Still he does look a bit shocked when he slugs that guy. Plus who knows in what context he fires that gun.
    Matt Smith looks great by the way.

To be fair, although it's very noble of the Doctor not to use a gun, he did (for example) kill that Sycorax chap with a satsuma, and the spirit of the Wolf by over-exposing him to moonlight, and the Krillitanes by exploding their oil all over them, and... Well, you get the point. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of 'the man who never carries a gun' as our hero, but it doesn't on a practical level actually equate to 'the man who never kills'. And, of course, it was ever so.

I still love that opening shot on the trailer, reminds me of the first sight of the TARDIS in the Cushing film, sat at the bottom of his garden!

I've scoured the trailer, and there is no sign of the sonic screwdriver!

On the subject of Mari Gold, there's a lovely bit in EoT Part 2 where Wilf knocks and then there is UTTER SILENCE. It works really well. Sadly it highlights how infrequently they use this device - often silence is so much more dramatic than having music.

Si.