Default The Top 75 Spaceships in Movies and TV

Den of Geek have listed thier Top 75 Spaceships from the world of TV and Film here:

All the ones you'd probably expect are there (including two from Doctor Who) but do you agree with the choices? Which is your favourite Spaceship of all time and why?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pshaw! Where are Moya and Talyn?

Bah, no-one else likes Farscape enough.

And nothing from Babylon 5 either! Or the Defiant! Looks like an enormous Star Wars fan put that together.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've never heard of half of those, so can't really comment. Er, so I won't.

And for a supposed "Den of Geek" where is the Lexx? A giant spacebug turned spacecraft?

Strange choices indeed - I follow Steve by saying not including Moya is a HUGE omission. Please don't get me started on Farscape Steve - I think I probably prefered it over even Babylon 5 ... and I'm trying so hard to resist buying the boxsets at the moment ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

The frell you will...

It does seem a bit one-sided that every single spaceship from the original Star Wars Trilogy seems to have made it in there.

What makes a good spaceship anyway? Does it have to be sleek, powerful and good looking? Or simply weird? They may be passe now, but the Borg Cubes were stunningly weird when they first appeared.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

No Leonov either from 2010 which was an amazing design and kind of stolen by Babylon 5.

If I was going to go with a Babylon 5 ship - I would absolutely select the Shadow ships which were without my favourite with their spider design - probably aesthetically my favourite sci-fi ship of all time.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

From B5 I would have gone for the Earthforce Destroyers, the huge ones with the spinning mid-sections. They're gr-r-r-reat!

I think the Leonov was on their list actually?

Yeah - looked again the Leonov is there but from a funny angle.

The Omega Destroyers were cool (although just really the Leonov with a hanger bay) - I think it was that they looked the right kind of ugly to look like a tough spaceship.

But there was something revolutionary about Babylon 5's organic ships like the Shadow ships ...

Although in a way Star Trek had covered this before in Tin Man. We also accept now that the TARDIS as it looks today is a grown (part organic) over a constructed entity - or at least I think so ...

Can't see anything great about some of those ships, to be honest. I can see the Star Destroyer, TIE-fighter and Millennium Falcon getting in, but what's so great about the Y-wing or the transport ship from Empire Strikes Back?

There are two glaring omissions, as far as I am concerned.

Firstly, Red Dwarf. A massive hulk of a ship that actually looks like it was built in space (no aerodynamic smooth edges) over a long time (different 'architecture' at different points, relfecting the changing styles as it was built) and still includes practical features like the big scoop at the front to pull in fuel to feed its massive engine. And the asteroid stuck in its midsection is a nice touch.

Secondly, the Borg Cube. You can only really get away with something so simple once, and they did it brilliantly.

It's a very bizarre list, isn't it. I mean, that ship from Aliens is pretty bland really, how it got the top spot is beyond me (apart from the fact that he seems to have loved making models of it in the past).

It's probably childhood nostalgia, but the Millenium Falcon would feature highly in my list. There's something just really cool about the way it looks, and the way it's a bit on the shabby side but can still outrun any other ship in the galaxy. For some reason I like my ships looking used and abused, and for that reason the Galactica would make the top 3 too. It's given a hell of a pounding throughout all four series of BSG, but still manages to continue, with the ability to shoot out loads of smaller spaceships and fire nukes at the same time too. You can't get much cooler than that.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."