Default Questions: making a song and dance ...

Seems a while since there's been a set of questions ... so with a kind of music focus ...

1) Do you remember ever being in a musical number at school or have your blotted it out?

2) You're out for the night, and the pub is doing Kareoke. Are you going to have a go?

3) Have you EVER done any Kareoke? What song?

4) You're out for the night, and it's spilling into a nightclub? Are you going to avoid the dancefloor?

5) What song would most tempt you to the dancefloor?

6) You're all alone in the shower or car (hopefully not both at the same time). Do you ever sing?

7) Are there some songs which when you hear them on the radio you just can't help singing along to?

8) There is a gun pointed to your head, and you have to sing. What song are you going to sing?

9) Would Simon Cowell be impressed?

10) What song would you like played at your Wedding (or was played past tense if you're married)?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Looks like none of us has the music in our soul, Mike. I'll give it a go though...

1) Do you remember ever being in a musical number at school or have your blotted it out?
    Well we always used to do some kind of musical thing for Christmas at Primary, so en masse yes. If you mean 'solo'-wise then I was head sheep in 1981, and Oliver in 1984.

2) You're out for the night, and the pub is doing Kareoke. Are you going to have a go?
    If I may quote Battlefield at this point: "Only when I am drunk, sir."

No. I've NEVER been THAT drunk!

4) You're out for the night, and it's spilling into a nightclub? Are you going to avoid the dancefloor?
    If I may quote Sophie Ellis Bextor at the point: "It's murder on the dancefloor." So, no!

I hesitate to say Dancing Queen, but... Dancing Queen. Maybe.

6) You're all alone in the shower or car (hopefully not both at the same time). Do you ever sing?
    In the car, yes, as in singalong to the radio. In the shower, no.

7) Are there some songs which when you hear them on the radio you just can't help singing along to?
    Yes! Mrs Robinson (Simon & Garfunkel), Waterloo Sunset (although it's not easy, as I don't really know the words), anything by ABBA, Wuthering Heights and What's That Coming Over The Hill?

8) There is a gun pointed to your head, and you have to sing. What song are you going to sing?
    Is there a song called "Call the police, some mad fool, is holding a gun to my head?" Or alternatively, "Three Little Maids From School". Oh yes.

Again: Only if he was drunk, sir.

10) What song would you like played at your Wedding (or was played past tense if you're married)?
    Erm, I have been married but can't remember what was played. Some hymns I think - I can remember the organist, is that's any help (she gave us some pillowcases, which we still have).

I was in the choir at primary school and we did Una Paloma Blanca at some song contest and did really well I remember. My class at secondary school also did "We're Wlaking In The Air" at some concert at school, the night Paradise Towers pt 2 was on.

No.

Yes. It was Dancing Queen and I was very, very, very drunk. It was the last night I snogged a girl, in early 2000.

No, but it might take a couple of drinks to get there.

Dancing Queen works every time.

Yes. Oh yes!

Yes- in fact I sing along to songs all the time. Badly.

I will sing Distant Sun by Crowded House

I doubt it.

Distant Sun. It's my very favourite song in the whole wide world of songs.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Looks like none of us has the music in our soul, Mike. I'll give it a go though...
    Actually I was so busy watching the awful Andromeda Strain TV series I forgot I was going to reply to this myself last night ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I was involved in a couple of school musicals. I found it a great excuse to meet "the opposite number". I think my sole motivation for being part of "The White Horse Inn" was cos Claire Fryer who I adored was some kind of milkmaid. I can remember being annoyed that as an Alpine guide we were only in two scenes.

"The Wizzard of Oz" was a lot more fun - made some friendships with older/younger years which stuck. I was part of the chorus - but I sung and I danced. I still remember how short tempered the choreographer was - it was like trying to put together a musical in prison. I remember her shouting at us time and again over the line "Jolly good fun" (it wasn't).

I will inevitably gravitate towards the song list. A little alcohol will help. I've been known to be almost the only person to do kareoke ... and do several songs (you have been warned).

Lots. I got into trouble once for dedicating Lola to my wife.

What's the point of being in a nightclub if you're not going to hit the dancefloor at least once? Ironically as I now do a dance aerobic class I probably have more moves that ever before. But never go to nightclubs anymore.

It used to be Housemartins Happy Hour - yeah all that kind of Indie dancing which is just wierd and kind of creates a "buffer zone" around you. Probably any BodyJam track I can remember the choreography to would do it.

Not so much in the shower, but in the car definitely. For some reason when cycling I'd sing Bob Marley.

Yesterday Queens Don't Stop Me Now - no-one did.

Erm ... all I can think now is Bob Marleys Three Little Birdies (Don't Worry About A Thing).

Nope. And neither would any of Bobs fans.

We chose Louis Armstrongs All The Time In The World, which is just a very beautiful track. And was used in James Bond.

I remember Oliver and others (names forgotten in the mists of time; but I was always on the technical side so I never got up in front of the audience

2) You're out for the night, and the pub is doing Karaoke. Are you going to have a go?
    No

3) Have you EVER done any Karaoke? What song?
    No

4) You're out for the night, and it's spilling into a nightclub? Are you going to avoid the dance floor?
    Never!

5) What song would most tempt you to the dance floor?
    Insomnia by Faithless

I have been known to in the past, but that was some time ago.

Insomnia by Faithless

I'd probably go for Insomnia by Faithless

Who cares!

Oh, I dunno. I can't answer that one.

P.S. I do like other bands and songs
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Only singing in nativity plays.

Only if no-one I know is there.

Yup. "Fever", "When I'm Sixty-Four", "Sweet Transsexual" are all I can remember.

I don't dance if I can possibly avoid it. I don't like nightclubs either. I'd be going home!

No idea, depends on my mood I guess.

Oh yes, a lot.

I'll sing along to anything I know the words to, but only when alone.

"Help"?!

Only in that it would give him yet another opprotunity to be nasty. I'd like to hear him sing though.

"Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer.

Sadly no. Probably for the best.

Lord no. Well not sober.

Nope.

Nah, I like to dance...badly.

Anything generally, and if it's cheesey pop all the sooner.

Frequently, and generally in several different voices and keys.

Radio 4 doesn't have much in the way of music...

Stuck in the middle with you.

If he was holding the gun? Doubt it.

Past tense *ahem* Faith of the Heart. People can back me up on this one...
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Quote Originally Posted by Kinggoose View Post

Past tense *ahem* Faith of the Heart. People can back me up on this one...
    That is SOOOO wrong!

Seems a while since there's been a set of questions ... so with a kind of music focus ...

What, almost a week?

Possibly. We were always doing plays at school. I think we did a musical version of Wizard of Oz at one point, with each of the years singing a different song.

I'd love to.

I won a prize (really!) for my version of 'Nobody Does It Better'. I've also had a go at a few others at Chicagos in Windsor.

Initially. But eventually I will be compelled to dance. And then there'll be no stopping until the beats run dry.

I have run to the dancefloor for 'Fools Gold' by The Stone Roses before.

Not in the shower. Yes in the car.

Ooo, hundreds.

A GUN?!?! Probably 'If You Don't Want Me To Destroy You' by the Super Furry Animals. Or '1963' by New Order.

Singing with a gun pointed at me? I'd hope he'd be horrified.

So many to choose from! Gareth's choice (Faith of The Heart) was a good one.
    I have to say I really don't know. There's the bizarre choice (something like 'Peaces En Regalia' by Frank Zappa), the nice choice ('Distant Sun' by Crowded House) or the really weepy one ('Those Were The Days Of Our Lives' by Queen). But it's really hard to choose something perfect!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

No, I was the narrator person in our big end of Primary School production. It was my shining moment, with my top hat and painted on moustache. And I didn't have to sing.

Oh yes. I don't want to be the one that doesn't do it. I'll do anything!

Yes, I did "If I Could Turn Back Time" as a duet with Simon's Auntie Marie.

I'm not quick to be the first one up, but again if other people are up I'll join them.

"Rock DJ" by Robbie Williams! The first 10 seconds are just irressistable and remind me of my old haunt, Tom Peppers in Clacton and downing Aftershock's on boozy Saturday nights with my friend Andrew. Good times.

All the time in the car. In the shower, sometimes, if I'm happy.

I don't listen to the radio but I often put "Don't Know Much" on because I love to sing along to the Linda Ronstadt parts. "So beaten... and so baaatteerrreeeeedddd!". TUNE!

Something in my key. I'm not sure what.

No! I hate it when you see people doing bad Karaoke and they think they can sing. But I'm under no illusions that I'm terrible!

Well I don't suppose I'll ever get married so it's a moot point.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    3) Have you EVER done any Kareoke? What song?[/B]

Yes. It was Dancing Queen and I was very, very, very drunk. It was the last night I snogged a girl, in early 2000.
    You kissed a girl? Did you like it? Do you hope your boyfriend won't mind it?

(Sorry, I'm quoting lyrics all day now I've been thinking about music).

She thought she kissed a girl ... turned out to be Russell Brand ...

I was the lead in our middle school production of Jonah and the Whale (Jonah, not the whale, I should stress!), and had several songs to sing on my lonesome. Before my voice broke I was often told I had a lovely voice. Not so much afterwards!

These days I'd have to be really drunk. And there'd have to be other crap people singing, if everyone was good I'd hide in the corner.

Oh yes. Far too often. In the mid-nineties we used to go to a karaoke pub every week, and sometimes twice, as my then girlfriend loved it along with her friends. I used to think I was quite good until I took my camcorder along one night...watching it the next morning was horrifying! Though I did get a bit better as a result of that, mainly as I learnt I didn't need to shout in to the mic!

It was a lot of fun though, as no one took it too seriously (well, mostly) and there were a lot of really crap singers who just went up and had fun and got the place to sing a long with them.

Until I'm very, very drunk, yes. Unless it's an indie club, I guess, then I'm quite happy to do my trademark shuffle-y dance.

Pulp's Common People.

In the shower, yes, but they tend to be made up songs to amuse myself. Sad, I know!

No, but only because my favourite songs so rarely get radio play.

It Must Be Love by Madness is a pretty easy one to get away with without people clutching their ears and screaming.

Nope!

Into My Arms by Nick Cave.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I was born a year too late to be involved in the school production of "Grease" which the school did again and again until many years later Sky One did a TV show about it. I was "The Sad King" in a production but I only had one line "At last! I've found true love please come with me!" which I shouted as the choir went quiet.

Nobody ever takes me out to do karaoke, mind you I'm pretty friendless as is, I'd see what songs where on offer though

No, depends what was on. If it's all ballads then big no.

Yes. Too tall, too thin too beardy for the a******** and I'm sick of "My mate fancies you NYAHHHHAHHHAHAH" Fat Slag interaction. I should carry a scapel. One blow across the throat. That's all I'd need.

Funny story. Back in my indie club days (90's) I had my dance to Bullet In The Head by Rage Against the Machine and would "Jump" when the song went "They say jump/you said how high?" and one night someone came up to me being all "Ahhh why do you jump when the song tells you? Do you not see? Ahhh ahhhhh!" (Please get this reference!) So I looked him square in the eye and told him I hated Rage Against The Machine! And as he skulked back I realised human interaction...it's not really me, y'know?

I sing in the house. When there was a report on "This day in History FDR announced America had developed an atomic bomb" I launched into an impromptu "We have developed an atomic bomb!/ An atomic bomb/ An atomic bomb/ and this is it's mushroom cloud/ shriek!/ It's very frightening!" and yes, I was doing The Mighty Boosh well before they got picked up.

Not that I can think of.

"Two Suns In The Sunset" by Pink Floyd. And I'd sing it better than Roger Waters. Which probably isn't that much of a boast but...

Maybe not. But I'd have great pleasure shrugging my shoulders and laughing at him.

One half of me wants "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" by Iggy and the Stooges, but I'd probably see sense and probably sing something by Queen or the Beatles.

I'm not as psychopathic as this post makes me out to be BTW.

We did shows evry year as I recall. I always stayed in the chorus/ensemble as I didn't want a major part.

You must be joking, I can't sing! Besides kareoke is a cheesy nineties thing.

See above.

I wouldn't spill into a nughtclub, I'd go home and pour myself into bed.

None

No, I just wash my bits and get out (the shower, not a car)

No I rarely listen to the radio.

Aga Doo. That would teach the bastard.

I doubt it.

Don't Marry Her, F**k Me by The Beautiful South

Or the Hokey Cokey.

I was in Sweeney Todd at school, in the Chorus. I do remember completely missing a whole scene because I was excited about having got through my first scene!

It has been known, usually fueled by alcohol!

American Pie, A Kind of Magic, Under the Boardwalk etc etc

Like the plague. I have two left feet!

One Step Beyond!

All the time!

All sorts.

One Last Lovesong - The Beautiful South

I can carry a tune, and my friends say I have a great voice, but they might just be humouring me! Simon Cowell is impossible to impress!

D - I - V - O - R - C - E (I am never getting married) ;-)
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!