Default Bellamy's People - Higson & Whitehouse return

Those of you who have listened to the pair's Radio 4 show Down The Line, will be familiar with the character of Gary Bellamy (the radio show host) played by Rhys Thomas, and in this documentary style show he travels up and down the country interviewing 'Britain's people'.

It starts on BBC Two on January 21st (Thursday) at 10.00pm.

Read more about it at the BBC Press Office or on my blog.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I'm really looking forward to this as a big fan of Down The Line. I do wonder how well it'll convert to tv, but if they keep the feel of the radio series, then it could be something really special.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I do wonder how well it'll convert to tv
    Me too, and I have to say that the clip that the BBC have put up isn't that funny tbh, but am hopeful there's much better stuff to come.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I missed this in the end as my tv decided not to work (it hates the cold weather, but is fine now thankfully!) - did anyone see it? And if so, was it any good?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I really liked it, but it's gotten mixed reviews. It did seem a little unfocused and meandering, but there were still some great moments I thought. Has a little way to go to match the Radio Series. If you've got 'red button' services, they're worth checking out after each show, with a spoof behind the scenes/making of, where it was nice to see Robert Popper (Look Around You) pop up.

I caught tonight's episode and really enjoyed it, sure, it could be a little tighter in places and not every character does it for me, but there were a lot of very funny moments in it. I'm surprised by the mixed reviews, perhaps it's because expectations of Paul Whitehouse and Charlie Higson are so high - if it was newcomers producing this level of quality I imagine it'd be receiving rave reviews.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I think it's the expectations, yes, added to the fact that people liked Down The Line so much. I really like the idea behind the direction they've taken it for tv, as it could have been so easy just to replicate it in the same way The Day Today did with On The Hour.

I'm just about to watch episode 2, so it's good to hear you enjoyed it.

Down The Line returns for a fourth series on Radio 4 tonight at 18.30. Very pleased as I didn't know it was coming back!

As an extra/added bonus, Simon Day now has his own Radio 4 show with the cleverly titled "The Simon Day Show".

Looks like it'll be featuring some of his characters from Down The Line/Bellamy's People, the first one featuring Geoffrey Allerton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010gq38

Cool, I'm looking forward to that. I only heard the first episode of the new series of Down The Line, and then promptly forgot it was on which is annoying. Still, I'll have to obtain them in other ways, and catch up with them in the next week or so - have you been listening Steve? And do they stand up to previous series?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    have you been listening Steve? And do they stand up to previous series?
    I have been listening, but I've missed bits here & there tuning in late but have downloaded them all via Radio Downloader.

On the whole, I'd say they stand up very well, a nice blend of the old & new characters. I did find ep.7 the weakest of the bunch (but chuckled at the 'cliffhanger'), and my favourite is definitely ep.6 that featured Sir Michael Gambon. ()