Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I rather liked Frostfire actually. Nice straightforward story with atmosphere and style. Didn't bore me.

Pip Madeley Guest

I've read with interest that the next series of Companion Chronicles will feature:

Nicholas Courtney as the Brigadier
    Peter Purves as Steven
    Louise Jameson as Leela

Peter Purves' first Big Finish?

We were wondering the other day if Peter Purves would do one. I'm pelased to see him on the list.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    "Ghost Light", an overly confused and pompous script cloaked by classy production
    THANK YOU!!!

I thought I was the only person who didn't rate the wretched thing.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

For an additional charge, I also bring down "Warriors' Gate".

Si.

And his panties.

Companion Chronicles: Fear of the Daleks.
    Oh dear, not a good start. Zoe never met the Daleks & she's scared of them.
    The idea of the story is a lot better than the last one (mind control using Dalek crystals & mind transference using avatars) & it moves along better than Frost Fire. The story works but it just doesn't engage me for some reason. I can see why some might score it 8 or 9/10 but for me it's never better than a 5, or may be a 6 if I'm in the right mood.
    Today though, it's 5/10.

This is strange that these don't seem to be hitting the mark for me because I'm usually very complimentary (...ish & Rapture not withstanding) & I'm quite fond of the BBC soundtracks but these so far aren't doing much for me. I'll give all four equal chance but so far so poor.

So far:
    Companion Chronicles:Frostfire. 2/10.
    Companion Chronicles:Fear of the Daleks. 5/10.

Companion Chronicles: The Blue Tooth.
    Well this is much better than the first two, a vast improvement.
    This is just Liz Shaw telling me, the listener, about a story that happened & I missed. Not some pseudo conversation between two people & I'm eaves dropping. The Story is much more what I was expecting & actually works far better than the first two. I feel involved in this story because I'm the one it is being told to & not over hearing someone else's conversation. The first two seemed to be stories with-in stories, this was a story telling CD & I loved it! If they do any more then it had better follow this make up & I'll be happy...well as happy as a fan boy can be.

So far:
    Companion Chronicles:Frost fire. 2/10.
    Companion Chronicles:Fear of the Daleks. 5/10.
    Companion Chronicles: The Blue Tooth. 9/10.

Oh dear, not a good start. Zoe never met the Daleks & she's scared of them.
    But there was that one where she sat and watched "Evil of the Daleks" as relayed by Doctor Who and some silly headphones. And as we all know that was such a thrilling and terrifying adventure, it must have made her very scared of them indeed.

Si.

Covers are now up for 3 of the 4 season 2 plays

Have they made Louise Jameson naked on one of them?

It looks like they've photoshopped her outfit off, then put a big whirly thing in front of her so you can't see her titties.

Si.

It would certainly explain the expression on the Doctor's face.

Pip Madeley Guest

Tom's making me think I've got something on my face in that photo.

I wonder if Frazer can still do the Scots accent?

Polly Returns in Brand New Doctor Who Adventure

Written by Steve Lyons, 'Resistance' is a new Doctor Who adventure in Big Finish's 'Companion Chronicles' series. Anneke reprises her role as Polly, and tells the story which features the second Doctor, Ben and Jamie in occupied France during the second world war. For the first time, we see Polly's point of view, as she confronts her own history. Release date to be confirmed, but likely to be summer 2008. Watch the Big Finish Website for news.
    Si xx

Someone's been whiling away the lonely hours on AnnekeWills.com.

Si.

I've been fingering these a lot lately. Lalla's is a rather fabulous affair, whilst I concur that Wendy's is a little let down by the actual story rather than the performance.

Next season also features Debbie in a story called The Great Space Elevator.

News from BF:

July sees the release of the first of a third season of Doctor Who: The Companion Chronicles adventures. Each release is a new Doctor Who story as told by one of the Doctor’s companions played by the actor who portrayed the role in the Classic Doctor Who TV series. Although essentially a talking book, each production includes dramatised sequences featuring a second actor and boasts sound-effects and an original music score.

The first two seasons of The Companion Chronicles have proved so popular that with this third season the series will become an ongoing range with a new adventure released every month. The series will continue to be released in ‘seasons’ with each season comprising of twelve releases.

Details of the first four releases for Season Three are now available. July’s season premiere is appropriately a First Doctor adventure narrated by Carole Ann Ford as the Doctor’s granddaughter, Susan. The story, entitled Here There be Monsters, has been written by Andy Lane. In the adventure, the Doctor, Barbara, Susan and Ian face creatures from another dimension.

In The Great Space Elevator, written by Jonathan Morris and released in August, Victoria Waterfield recounts an adventure with the Second Doctor where a one-way trip leads to a confrontation with an alien force that threatens the Earth. Deborah Watling recreates her role as the Doctor’s Victorian travelling companion.

September’s release is The Doll of Death by Marc Platt, an adventure for the Third Doctor told by Katy Manning as Jo Grant. This is the first time that Katy has reprised her role since she starred in the TV series in the 1970s. In the story, the Doctor and Jo investigate a temporal anomaly in central London where a scientist is being haunted by the ghosts of dolls.

The fourth adventure features the Fourth Doctor’s companion, Leela played by Louise Jameson. Empathy Games is by Nigel Fairs who also wrote Leela’s previous Companion Chronicles adventure, The Catalyst.

With release number five, we return to the First Doctor with a story told by his short-lived travelling companion, Sara Kingdom who originally joined the TARDIS crew for the epic length TV story, The Daleks’ Master Plan. As in the original TV series, Sara Kingdom will once again be played by Jean Marsh of Upstairs, Downstairs fame. The story, entitled Home Truths and has been written by Simon Guerrier.

Details of subsequent releases in the series are yet to be announced. However, it can be revealed that now that this has become an ongoing series, it will adopt a broader remit than the previous two seasons. Future adventures will feature Doctors Five through Eight and their companions, and there may even be stories told by popular characters that aren’t strictly companions... Stay tuned!

Each Companion Chronicles is available direct from Big Finish for just £8.99. Discounts are available by choosing a six or twelve release subscription costing £45 and £85 respectively. The Companion Chronicles can also be downloaded online for just £7.99 each.
    Si xx

I suddenly feel obliged to collect all of these. Marsh returning to play Sara Kingdom is just a fabulous idea!

Si.

But they're just fancy talking books! Hmm, but it does sound exciting, doesn't it?

Si xx

Covers:

Si xx

play.com have a special offer on the Companion Chronicles season 1 and 2 at £6.99 each. According to the promo page, it's 2 for £13 but when you look at an individual title it says 2 for £12. I can't get the shopping cart working to see which is true but a good price nonetheless.

Here

Thanks for that, Wayne. I avoided buying the second season until I could get them cheaper.

Pip Madeley Guest

Debs didn't remember what her story was called. I don't think she was that interested.

Lovely covers though!

The Great Space Elevator reminds me of the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Debbie and the Great Glass Elevator?

Si xx