Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Well Hurrah for The Last Post.

Caroline John gets an excellent send-off in this story. The basic sci-fi idea is a bit over-familiar, with people getting letters telling them when they will die. However, the choice of people who receive the letters is absolute genius. You have to listen to find out! The final reasoning behind the letters is great too, there's no cop-out or excessive silliness.

And there's loads of good characterisation too. The third Doctor is partially played for laughs, but it's perfect for his character in Season 7. It's stuff along the lines of what happens in Inferno when he lands the console in a rubbish tip and tries to play it down. That sort of thing.

It's Liz's story though and great it is too. The story consists of letters and meetings between Liz and her mum. It doesn't get too irritating, although there's a few changes of first person narration you just get into the swing of it.

So, entertaining, sweet and good on the sci-fi. Not particularly Season 7 Gritty, but excellent none the less.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

This one's on my "must listen to" list. Even more so now after your review Steve :-)

I very much enjoyed The Anachronauts over the weekend. Great story- very clever, but all made sense at the end, which was well performed by Jean Marsh and the always dependable Peter Purves. Nice to hear they've let him play the First Doctor now when needed!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.