Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Jago In Love

First offering of Series 4, and Jago has fallen head over heels. But is it all that it seems? Of course it's not! Lots of Victorian fun at Brighton Pier plus a music hall song that will have you humming it for days after. I hope you're more in tune than the woman who's singing it here though.

Leela is back, and there's a mysterious Professor Dark who doesn't 'alf sound familiar Guvnor! And what's this? Professor Litefoot is a woman? It's not what you think. A fab start to the 4th series. Can't wait for the next story - Oscar Wilde's in it!

Beautiful Things (S4 Ep 2)

Henry Gordon Jago meets Oscar Wilde, and wildfire wordplay ensues

Leela has some cracking lines in this too. I'm so glad she's with them for this series (as she was the last series).

..... "I don't even have a cat"..... is my fave line!

The Lonely Clock (Series 4 Ep 3)

This is very Sapphire & Steel, as time starts playing silly buggers on a train. It was an okay story, probably setting itself up for the grand finale to come. The most enjoyable scene was Leela doing a "lads & lasses let's have yer glasses" in Sevateem style down at The Red Tavern!

Fear not! Jago and Litefoot have returned (Last October) in and exciting new (8 months old) adventure!

This started really promisingly, but by the time I got halfway through the shittiness levels had increased until there was liquid faeces streaming out of the speakers of my car. Not a pleasant happening.

The Sixth Doctor (for no reason other than it's a good wheeze) decides to take Henry Gordon Jago and Henry Gordon Litefoot on an adventure. They head to Venus. HGJ and HGL marvel at the TARDIS in an amusing way; then they marvel at their new surroundings, equally amusingly. They then proceed to get captured by the denizens of Venus, the Warrior Women or something.

These women are led by Grand Empress Vulpina, who is simultaneously the single worst character and the single worst actress in any Big Finish Story I can remember right now. Juliet Aubrey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliet_Aubrey) won a Bafta for her role in Middlemarch; for three years she was the lead character on Primeval. I can only presume that she thought she was recording a spoof.

Actually, whether or not this is a spoof is a damn good question. It's not entirely clear. It's certainly not particularly funny. But the Grand Empress Vulpina is a fairybook character who keeps saying 'Eradicate them!' like a cheaper version of the Queen of Hearts in Alice's adventures. So is it an unfunny spoof?

All of the references to Venus as seen on TV were dreadful as well. AND OH MY GOD AT ONE POINT THEY START SINGING GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN like to the tune of Kokleeda partha menin klatch, like in that Peladon story. I was foaming at the mouth by this point.

It could have been great. If they'd have just stuck to Jago and Litefoot getting into scrapes with 'Sixie', with them barely escaping with their lives in the end, it could have been a rollicking adventure. But it's hampered by writing that's a cheesy parody of Doctor Who. Why in the name of f*** would we want to listen to that?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I really liked the music though. Rather Paddy Kingsland!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

There's always a plus side if you look hard enough!

But mostly the story was drivel. Put me off listening to the other one in the mini-series to be honest.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The main series J+L are much better

Series 5 - Story 1 "The Age of Revolution"

Jago & Litefoot have landed in the 60s. Even their theme music (already fabbo) has undergone a 60s vibe. I like the fact that this story starts from a good few months into their 60s stay - we get the reasons for this and their reactions to it later in the story. There was some very lengthy exposition (presumably done for those J&L fans who hadn't bought the two specials).

A good solid start from Johnny Morris here - not the strongest of endings in the whole world, but the rest of it is utterly splendid. Can't wait for the second part. Groovy Baby

Series 5 - Story 2 "The Case of the Gluttonous Guru" by Marc Platt.

My word this one is a bit far out baby! Food that eats its host, psychedelic-inducing toads, and poor Henry Gordon Jago is ravenous!

Bit of an extreme "swing" (if you pardon the 60s pun) in story feel, but with enough familiar elements it's still very enjoyable (though not as good as the first story IMHO). Still lots of cultural references from the 60s peppered in, including this time a TV spy show. But sadly not The Avengers! Although Ellie has clearly watched Emma Peel in action and is dishing out karate chops with aplomb!

S5 Story 3 "The Bloodchild Codex" by Colin Brake

Some really good audio effects here as a terrible fate is in store for all those who handle books without care! Maybe they should give this story out free to all libraries! Nice to see Ellie take centre stage in this creepy story. And the conclusion of the story is really fangasm time - can't wait for the Story 4.

I was in the lift in work. Suddenly I heard a familiar voice piping through. "That's Henry Gordon Jago in our lift" I thought. It was in fact my iPhone in my hand.

Doh!

The Final Act

This story sees the return of a few old villains well known to J & L. To say any more would spoil it, but suffice to say, it's a thrilling climax!

I love Henry & George - their adventures are one of BF's strongest ranges. Their dalliance with the 60s was fun - but I'm looking forward to them returning to Victorian times for the next series.

Finished Series 7 this week. These two are still a joy to listen to. The Sherlock Holmes story was my fave. And the ending to the whole series was definitely a WTF moment. So I'll say it again - WTF???!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intriguing!! So, WTWTF? (That's, Why The WTF?)

At the end of each J&L series they usually have a character turning up who you wouldn't normally expect (as a teaser for the new series). Well a whole load of them turned up this time. If you haven't listened to a certain Companion Chronicles it won't mean much. Ooh I'm a tease :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly, Trevor Baxter died earlier this week at the age of 84. He apparently hadn't been well since series one, but he soldiered on and particularly enjoyed the time he spent recording Jago and Litefoot.