Default Substandard subtitles...

I was watching a Sherlock Holmes dvd last night, with the subtitles on as I'm a bit hard of hearing. Watson said to Holmes that it was a balmy evening, and the subtitles said 'a barmy evening', which made me giggle. I wondered if anybody else had ever noticed an amusingly mismatched subtitle?

The original DVD of the Five Doctors contains some gems I believe- "Well, well, have him enter" becomes, "Well, well, Elementor!"

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

My favourite substandard subtitles are watching the BBC's coverage of Glastonbury every year! if a band has awkward lyrics the subtitlers will write "You write these words and think you are pretty clever don't you?"
    I've seen them do this to Radiohead, Travis and the Manic Street Preachers over the last couple of years!
    Be interesting to see which band gets the surly subtitler this year?
    Watch out for it next time!

I'll look out for that!

Used to watch the news at they gym where they have subtitles and it was always kind of hilairous as things usually got spelt phonetically correct if not making much sense.

Not quite subtitle, but this kind of takes some beating ...

Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

That's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Used to watch the news at they gym where they have subtitles and it was always kind of hilairous as things usually got spelt phonetically correct if not making much sense.

Not quite subtitle, but this kind of takes some beating ...

I've noticed that a lot of the Who dvds have terrible subtitles. Sometimes they reword the sentences completely as if they charge by the letter..

Watching anything live which is subtitled is often fun, especially when they mess something up on the news. I think it's understandable though, I went for a job as a live subtitler and you have be able to type incredibly fast, and there's no time to go back and correct your mistakes.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."