Thread: Eurovision 2010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

And when the song was revealled... hands up all those who thought it was a cover of "Common People" at the start? Was it just me?

There literally arn't words. Best bit was when Pete, who allegedly wrote the song, failed to know what it was called.

Or was it when one of the singers forgot the words and said "Oh, sorry!" in the middle of her performance.

Diabolical.

Si.

That was one of the worst things ever. And not just on TV.

Bottom 5 for sure.

Mike Stock says...

Just time to take a breath and reply to all the various questions and comments on the subject of the new song for Europe.

The BBC have their way of doing things. On balance I am happy that Josh won the public vote. However, what I found most frustrating was having to record six different versions of ‘That Sounds Good To Me' incomplete and unfinished. Obviously until you know who has won you can't deliver the final version. This is what has made this year slightly unusual.

Nevertheless, I am now busy getting together the final version which will be significantly different from what has already been served up. I accept the comments that have been posted on the forum and I expect in a short while for everyone to be pleasantly surprised at the end result.

The thinking behind this song is that Eurovision is a theatrical event as much as a song contest. So our song has elements of a show number alongside dance pop. The lyric has a general theme and is not gender specific or too personal.

We need to spice up the performance generally, but in Josh we have a safe pair of lungs who can deliver in these highly charged pressurised circumstances. This is great news for me because we can concentrate on delivering a thumping and exciting mix without worrying if the singer can cope.

Actually the song works in all ways and styles. I have tried it with just a piano accompaniment and it still works. The question is, what style is best? In that regard I am waiting until after Josh has been to the studio and I have recorded his vocals. Then I can tailor make the track to support him. I have not heard him sing in a studio context and this will reveal quite a lot, I think, and lead me to some answers.

Enough for now. Josh is working with me this week and I shall know a lot more after that. Thanks for your messages of support. This has been a bit of a tough call for many reasons. I don't ask myself the question "can we win Eurovision?" I just want only to do a great job and, believe me, it isn't easy because so many things are out of your control. But anything is possible to do.
    We shall see, yes we shall see.

Mmmm. I actually say I quite like the song.

But isn't "Can we win Eurovision?" EXACTLY the question that someone writing a song to enter into Eurovision should ask?? Unless he actually wants not to win?!

Si.

"can we win Eurovision?"
    Yes!

But we need Peter Gabriel, not Peter Waterman. Or Morrissey. I'd like to have John Barrowman sing a song penned by Morrissey, but I don't think we'd get away with it. What with John not being English and all.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

United Kingdom - Nul Points

That doesn't sound good to me, in fact, it sounds pretty sh*te to me. This has to rank among the worst songs we have ever bothered to enter!

Awful, just awful.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

The singer doesn't have to be English - when we won in '97, it was with a yank singing. John Barrowman would be good. Peter Gabriel, possibly not - I don't think the rest of Europe would get it.

Si.

I'd like to see Sir Cliff come back and duet with Debs. Like on the Brumburger Song.

This is what we want in our Eurovish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6dpo...ayer_embedded#

I bet it doesn't make the finals just to wee on our chips.

She's more Quoi than Je Ne Sais.

Auntie Beeb has been updated. Operate the blue switches:

It's been a good few weeks since Josh Dubovie won the votes of the British public in this year's Eurovision: Your Country Needs You. We're still nearly six weeks away from the contest itself, so what has Josh been doing to prepare for appearing on Europe's most popular TV show?

Well things have been very busy here at BBC Television Centre and at Mike Stock and Pete Waterman's studios! Recently, Josh has been back and forward to the recording studios working on the final version of "That Sounds Good To Me", which will be released as a single in May.

This week, Josh has been here in TV Centre working with his backing vocalists and dancers, putting together what's called the Director's Tape. This is what the BBC sends through to Norway's state broadcaster to help them in putting together the all-important camera moves for the big night.

Josh has been working hard with a team of experienced choreographers and set designers to find an exciting new way to present the song in Oslo. And Pete Waterman popped along to TV Centre today to make sure that everything was going to plan - thankfully he seems very happy with our plans!

We're glad to announce that the styling for Josh's performance in Oslo will be handled by Frank Strachan. He's the man behind the innovative looks for artists such as Kylie, Girls Aloud, Jamelia and Pet Shop Boys. So it's safe to say that Josh's performance on the night will certainly prove eye-catching! And as a very tiny sneak preview of what to expect - there are several wind machines involved...!
    .So what's next?In the next week or so, Josh will be heading to the Norwegian Embassy in London where he'll be meeting the Ambassador and hopefully saying hello to Norway's 2010 act Didrik Solli-Tangen (aeroplanes and volcanic ash-clouds permitting!).

Josh will then begin six weeks of extensive press coverage, with interviews lined up with publications and websites from right across the continent. And - we can exclusively reveal - Josh will be travelling to Europe to promote the UK's 2010 song! More details to follow soon.

There's also lots more to look forward to on this very website. Aside from an exclusive interview with Josh - which we'll hopefully be putting online tomorrow (Friday) for you to enjoy - we'll be covering ALL of the build-up to the big day.

We'll be visiting several different Eurovision parties in London to find out which of this year's entries are the current front-runners amongst the hardcore Eurovision fans, and we'll also be reporting on two very exciting events that are going to be taking place in London soon.

In addition we'll be bringing you a whole host of vintage Eurovision content - including an interactive quiz and a massive selection of archive Eurovision performances for you to enjoy.

So it's all systems go here - we'll keep you updated with the latest news as we start the build-up to Oslo right now
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/eurovision/news...h_update.shtml

"And as a very tiny sneak preview of what to expect - there are several wind machines involved...!"

- that's no way to describe Pete Waterman and Mike Stock.

And - we can exclusively reveal - Josh will be travelling to Europe to promote the UK's 2010 song!
    Travelling TO Europe? Where the F*** is he now?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

When's he leaving, the week before? Might as well just go out for the contest a few days early and save the cost of two flights. Or...is....that....exactly........ oh.

Si.

The pump has broken, so don't get it in.

Josh's song has been re-worked and I must say that it is 20 times better than the version that he sang on A Song for Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EEwjrLBKEA
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Even that isn't the final mix!

Is it not? Then I look forward to hearing that on Saturday.

This has got me in the mood for tonight:

http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/forums/index.php

Aston looking even better on BBC1 right now!

It's Iceland's year if i have anything to do with it. Greece, Georgia, Armenia and Romaia could do well too. France is a good outside bet as it's quite catchy, but I wasn't that keen on Germany despite it being the favourite.

But this is Eurovision and I haven't picked the winner for a few years now.

Sadly the UK are not in the running even though Josh sang it well. One of the backing singers were totally out of tune.
    Last edited by duncan; 29th May 2010 at 10:02 PM.

It's just the usual pish!

Shows you what I know!

We were last...yet again. Hopefully the BBc will actually allow us to pick a song next year rather than the singer of a song that has already been picked.

That Lena Meyer-Landrut scuddy swimming video has totally destroyed the magic of Eurovision for me!!

-100/10

You'd never catch Nicole doing something like that!

Millwall supporters are going to write next year's effort.

It's going to be called "no one Likes Us...We Don't Care".

I caught the last few minutes of this waiting for DW:C....

It's such a bizarre show, isn't it? I've met so many europeans over the years that speak brilliant english, sometimes better than the natives, yet every year when they go round for the voting, we gets loads of people with broken, stilted pigeon english. I'm not having a go at them (as my foreign languages aren't any better), but why don't they get people with better english?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild