Default Radio 1 Launches Official Second Weekly Chart

A new weekly midweek "official chart update" is set to launch on BBC Radio 1.

The half-hour show beginning on 10 March will air every Wednesday between 3.30-4pm in the run-up to the traditional Sunday chart countdown.

Up until now official midweek chart numbers have been issued to workers in the industry but not broadcast in this format.

Martin Talbot, managing director of the Official Charts Company, said: "The launch of this official chart update will mean that, for the first time, music fans will get a reliable insight into how the race for number one is shaping up."

Downloads

The update will be based on the "sales flashes" which are already circulated by the Official Charts Company to the music industry on Wednesday mornings.

Continue reading the main story
    It might be good for people to know who's there and make people more excited I guess. It might kill the anticipation a bit or it might add to it - we'll see

Dizzee Rascal on the new midweek chart
    98% of singles are now downloaded. There have been close chart races in recent weeks between the likes of Rage Against The Machine and Joe McElderry for the Christmas number one.

Greg James will be hosting the new weekly show. He said: "I want to shine a light on all the songs going in and dropping out of the charts.

"Why are people buying a specific record? Why aren't they buying that one? Reasons like that."

Artists' views

Artists have been having their say on the news.

Rapper Tinie Tempah, promoting his single Pass Out, has mixed feelings.

"I always used to look forward to the Sunday chart and then I found that when I got into the music industry we had the opportunity to see midweeks - at first I didn't really like it," he said.

Radio 1's new midweek chart show with Greg James will start on 10 March "So for me personally it was ruining the suspense of watching for a whole week.

"I guess there are two sides to it, when people go and buy music, as well as liking the song, they're also supporting the artists and buying into the artist.

Dizzee Rascal, who enjoyed three number one singles in 2009, said: "It might be good for people to know who's there and make people more excited I guess. It might kill the anticipation a bit or it might add to it - we'll see."

London electro-poppers Hot Chip, who release their fourth album One Life Stand today (1 February), added: "It's not something I get too involved with really, the chart positions.

"I definitely used to like it as a kid, I used to listen to the radio every Sunday and listen to the countdown and watch Top Of The Pops on a Thursday.

"It'd be nice to have that excitement back again. Maybe something like this could help with that.

"I guess what music fans have demanded is free music."

The official charts company will also publish the official midweek chart updates on single and album sales on Radio 1's website, Facebook and Twitter.
    Thank goodness they got Tinie Tempah to comment.

It seems to me like it's going to be a bit confusing. If you get a Number 1 in the midweek chart, does it count as an "official" chart topper? We kind of need to know. Now.

Si.

Dizzee Rascal, who enjoyed three number one singles in 2009, said: "It might be good for people to know who's there and make people more excited I guess. It might kill the anticipation a bit or it might add to it - we'll see."
    Oh what a surprise - he hasn't got a clue!

I also like the way they quote the five-piece band 'Hot Chip' as if they're one person. Did they all speak in unison?

I think this is a really good idea actually. There are always mid-week reports in the news about single sales, so this will just be a way of promoting that. It'll help boost single sales overall by creating more of a competition mid-week.

Also, if I get a snifter that Dizzee bl00dy Raskal is getting another number 1 I'll buy 10,000 copies of his nearest competition.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

But is it official?

Is a Number 1 on Wednesday worth the same as one on Sunday?

This is going to have huge implications for Matt Tute's CD collection.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    But is it official?
    Typical dr who fans worrying about if its cannon.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Typical dr who fans worrying about if its cannon.

Is it cannon?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well they've said in that article that they already collect midweek sales, all they will do one Wednesday is release the data to the public - which to me means it's not official. We always used to get this through the back door anyway "Midweek sales put Liberty Kitten Babes on course for number one" was often a Thursday morning news story, esp at Christmas.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......