Default Google plans world domination ...

Well maybe not quite but getting there.

They are unveiling Buzz, a site to rival Facebook. Yeah what we need is another social network site huh! But wait, didn't we MySpace users say exactly the same about Facebook when it was launched "what's it for???".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8506148.stm

Google has taken the wraps off its latest social network known as Buzz.

The service - integrated directly with its e-mail service Gmail - allows users to post status updates, share content and read and comment on friends' posts.

The site pitches Google directly against rival networks such as Facebook, which has amassed nearly 400 million users since its launch in 2004.

Buzz will try to capitalise on the number of regular Gmail users, which is currently around 170 million people.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

What an awful name for a social network site. Firstly it sounds like 'Bus' and secondly it sounds like a popular pleasure device.

The only chance it really has is if Facebook keep mucking about with their settings. Everyone seems annoyed when they move stuff round the page pointlessly. But then Google are just as likely to pull the same trick.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Hang on a minute. What's Google doing over there by that moving band wagon? It's not is it? It is! It's jumping on board! But wait. the wagon already loaded up with myspace, bebo and facebook. Surely theres not room for it as well? The wagon's wobbling a bit. Will it tip over?

See. Satire. Its not dead.

Looks like Google is trying to become a hub of activity.

I don't really mind, because Google seems to be very good at anticipating what people want, and deliver products which are on the whole quality. I wouldn't swap my Google Chrome browser for any other on the market. And if the continue in that form, the new Google Chrome OS is something I'm itching to try out.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

@Mike:
    Google Fan Boy!

@Steve:
    Point your web browser at: http://lite.facebook.com
    Try it and like it!
    It's sooo much better than regular Facebook!

There's actually a gap in the market, thanks to the gargantuan acheivement of Facebook to screw up the most popular social phenomenen of the last ten years by continually updating it so it's less enjoyable.

But I agree, Buzz is a terrible name. It sounds like it's been thought up by a fifty-something trying to relate to "the kids". In a tea break.

Si.

Perhaps whoever thought it up was a Steps fan...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

So far all the feedback I've seen on Buzz (it's on by default in your GMail account) is negative. Oh dear. Looking for a way to turn it off as soon as they turn it on in mine frankly.
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

There's a song written by Cyndi Lauper on that album! It's a fact.

Never heard it though.

Si.

I remember a few years ago trying like mad to get a gmail account, but they were only letting certain people have them.

I just found out cos I had a blog set up, they've actually created an account for me, under my blog name ... which is a bit wierd.

I saw 'Buzz' appear in my gmail setting a couple of days ago....

I actually don't mind it so far, have used it a few times, and a couple of people 'buzzed' are friends who refuse to use Facebook. So I can see a market for it. Google do seem set on doing everything, but from what I can see, everything they do they do well. I use mail, adsense, analytics, calendar, Orkut, to name a few of their products.

As for Facebook, apart from the constant unwanted changes, not a day goes by when it doesn't work properly....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Those that are complaining about Facebook out to try Facebook Lite: http://lite.facebook.com
    Go on, it doesn't have those pesky messages from 'Mafia wars' or 'Farm this' or Coffee Shop that'