Default Police Squad! In Color - And on YouTube!

I've just finished watching this series on YouTube - yep, all six episodes of the Zucker & Abrahams series that led to the Naked Gun films have been kindly, although apparently unofficially, put onto YouTube for our viewing pleasure, on the basis that "if you enjoy this, please buy the DVD" - it's on my shopping list!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...149A6EE162D0F8
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

There are some brilliantly surreal gags in Police Squad!, though I'm undecided whether the series is better than The Naked Gun movies.

The best thing is that Leslie Nielsen gives exactly the same performance in Forbidden Planet Whether straight or comedy, he is the master of dead-pan delivery.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I loved Police Squad as a child, I found it a kind of wacky comedy like I'd never seen. I don't know now if maybe the comedy has been milked to death.

I loved the credits where almost all the actors froze ... but not quite everyone ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I loved the credits where almost all the actors froze ... but not quite everyone ...
    Oh yes! The best one was the ending with the scolding hot coffee!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Oh yes! The best one was the ending with the scolding hot coffee!

Si xx
    That was good, but I think the one where Norberg walks in, realises it's the freeze frame and tries all sorts of various poses would be my favourite!

That is good - but isn't there one where the entire set falls in. I used to be mesmerised by the end bit, wondering how they did it (as a kid).
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    That is good - but isn't there one where the entire set falls in. I used to be mesmerised by the end bit, wondering how they did it (as a kid).
    There is - right before the credits start, Norberg nails something to a pillar... which promptly topples back just as everyone freezes... and then the rest of the set follows!

I saw the "Naked Gun" films first, and absolutely love them, so I found "Police Squad" quite difficult to get into after the event. I should give them another go, they are very good.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Police Squad is wonderful, I actually prefer the series to the movies too.

I'm kind of 50/50 on whether the films or the TV series is better. I think that the guy who played Drebin's boss in the movies was much better. And having Richard Griffiths in a film is always a good idea!

Then again, the TV series was naturally tighter and a more direct spoof of cop dramas of the time.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I prefered the TV series - as generally the humour had to be cleaner, which makes me sound like Mary Whitehouse.

I think the films set off into motion the kind of Scary Movie/Epic Movie/Dance Movie etc where the humour is so vulgar it actually feels like a violation. But then that's how they appeal to the teen market.

Told you I took comedy seriously!