Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I think you must be confusing 'server', with 'host'. The server is just an invisible behind the scenes technical thing. (Someone else could explain the technical details more thoroughly if you want them, but that explanation is good enough for me. )
    A server is just a computer.

Si.

It's only a spider.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Not all spiders sit on the back, Sarah Jane.

Pip Madeley Guest

If they looked like that, I wouldn't have a phobia.

If they looked like Kate Moss, neither would I...

WhiteCrow Guest

I've had a whole weekend of ...

The server at www.planetskaro.org.uk is taking too long to respond.
    From my browser. I'm almost at the verge of packing up and going to OG.

Oh yeah, I'm banned from there. [Two forum bans in two years, it's becoming a habit]. So maybe you're stuck with me ...

Has anyone else got this message? I have to say although I was away all day yesterday, I was on-line Saturday morning, Saturday evening and for a few hours yesterday morning, and I didn't get this message once. Please clarify what you mean by "a whole weekend of" the message - roughly how many times, and when?

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Intermittently over the weekend I've been getting that message when trying to get on or look at a post on PS.

At the same time I was perfectly able to load pages on other websites (meaning it wasn't my internet connection).

Probably happened 4-5 times, I don't know the times, but if I tried again about 10 minutes later it'd load. To me something seems wrong with the server.

Well I'm going to move it over, just as soon as I have a few hours spare.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I haven't had any such messages myself, the forum's been quite good for me over the weekend.

We're going to swap servers as soon as possible - remember, we're not paid for this, we do it in our own free time, so we can't always jump to it and get things sorted straightaway.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    remember, we're not paid for this, we do it in our own free time, so we can't always jump to it and get things sorted straightaway.
    I'm not overly complaining, the bit about moving over to OG was a joke. I mean that place is like locking yourself in prison with a bunch of psychos and then dropping the soap.

But I was reporting the problem, and it has seemed to have got worse over the weekend. I was using Firefox by the way, I don't know what error messages IE gives, and it might try a site for longer before stating that the server is not responding.

The fact I was able to contact other pages really points the finger at the server having issues. Ordinarily it'd be because there was a high traffic on the web site. Maybe either the server is screwed, or there is some other very popular site (www.bigjugzz.com ???) on the server which is basically eating up the bandwidth, and PS is suffering because of it.

I know the site has been revamped in it's style recently - but has the software been updated recently? I know someone who runs AlchemyX web forum similar to this, and they've upgraded recently, and it's caused problems for some of their applications, including their resident chatbot (who I miss cos she was quite flirty).

Yes, the key info that you were using Firefox explains why none of us have seen the error. It seems likely that PS just experienced a few 'slow patches' and that this is how your browser interpreted it.

With regard your suggestions about software updates, thanks for the suggestions but we know the software needs updating, it's just that it requires time to do it and, as Pip mentioned, as we are all volunteers with active lives, I'm afraid it will have to wait until someone has some time. I refuse to compromise the forum by doing a rush-job, so it will have to wait until I, or someone else, has a few hours free to do it.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I know the site has been revamped in it's style recently
    Don't know what you mean by that, I've only ever revamped PS once and that was last October before this forum was even open.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    With regard your suggestions about software updates, thanks for the suggestions but we know the software needs updating
    In my experience it's usually after you upgrade you start getting little issues arising.

Anyway I thought everyone used Firefox these days? It's by far the best way to use the InterWeb. I had it recommended to me in 2003, and I take it for granted these days, it's really the superior browser - I've seen the new IE, and I'm still not very impressed.

I'm depressed now, as I'm now realising I've been talking to IE squares all this time!

Nope, didn't get on with Firefox at all. Couldn't see any advantages to it.

Si.

I've not really used IE7 but compared with IE6 the advantages are -

Tabs
    Extensions
    Greater security
    Skins
    Integrated search bar
    It isn't Internet Explorer

Even if IE has pinched tabs, some improved security and the searching function, it still doesn't have the extensions (or "add-ons" as they might be called now). AdBlock is worth its weight in gold and it is only one of hundreds.

Safari isn't bad either - if you must shun Firefox at least try Safari from Apple.

Elsewhere, I never had problems with PS loading during the day but in the evenings and at weekends it does fail to load as often as it loads.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

But I use IE and I've got tabs, ad blocks and an integrated search bar!

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

But I use IE and I've got tabs, ad blocks and an integrated search bar!

Si.
    Wow ... and Firefox had all that about 4 years ago. Microsoft being Microsoft they just stole everyone elses good ideas and passed them on as their own.

IE7 blocking a few banner ads and pop ups isn't quite the same as the AdBlockPlus extension for Firefox. ABP lets you remove anything from a page - it will automatically have stripped out the adverts (far more than IE ever will because Mozilla is non-profit and Microsoft isn't) but it lets you also remove anything you find annoying.

Firefox also has an automatic British English spell check which is my second favourite add-on.

It also avoids using the word "favorite" too which is a plus.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Pip Madeley Guest

I couldn't care about the competition, I'm happy with IE, I've tried Firefox and it's not for me.

Wow ... and Firefox had all that about 4 years ago.
    Why does it diminish the effectiveness of my browser because a different one had the features I have now sooner? :-S

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Why does it diminish the effectiveness of my browser because a different one had the features I have now sooner? :-S

Si.
    Here comes the science bit ...

Okay, let's put this in laymans terms.

This is the internet on IE ...

This is the internet on Firefox ...

Spot the difference!

I'm just joking around here - don't take too seriously.

Wayne Guest

Dunno if anything's been done today, But it seems much better since i got in tonight.

Pip Madeley Guest

Nothing yet. Proof, if ever it was needed, that's it's intermittent.

I'll give you all notice when the time comes for us to close for a short period of time (no more than a few hours I should hope!)

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Nothing yet. Proof, if ever it was needed, that's it's intermittent.
    True, But i think most people would probably agree that the difficulties have been more present than not, over the last couple of weeks?