Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Trudi G Guest

Default PS Problems (Pip's optimistic!)

I keep getting the 'page cannot be displayed' page....

I got that for about ten minutes just a few moments ago as well. As per usual, if it's periodic and affects everyone, and recovers by itself, it's likely to be the server going off-line for a few minutes for updates or maintainence.

Si.

It's been ok for me this morning, but I have had that in the past, usually when i first log in in the morning. Sometimes I find refreshing the page helps.

If you keep having a problem or anyone else is having a smiliar problem we'll see if its something we need to sort out.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

I've already had a word with Streamline.net - it's just natural downtime. Websites can't be up 100% of the time, you just have to give it ten minutes. If it happens to you, go and make a cuppa.

Dave Lewis Guest

I find that when I type certain words, asterisks appear instead of the letters... is anyone else experiencing this strange phenomena?

Pip Madeley Guest

Well these things are like that, here today, gone tomorrow...

Dave Lewis Guest

You're not prefacing any official announcement with a sly hint there, by any chance?

had no problems as such but the responce time can be a tad slow at times...

Is it just me or is this web site being slow today? It seems to be taking ages to load pages.

Pip Madeley Guest

Was a bit slow about dinnertime. You just have to take the rough with the smooth.

The only problem I have is deciding what to post next...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Is it just me or is this web site being slow today? It seems to be taking ages to load pages.
    It's been like sludge all day, but it seems alright at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    It's been like sludge all day, but it seems alright at the moment.
    Seems appropriate since you guys seem to have joined the ski-ing season

I have a real problem with some of the stuff that Milky Tears character posts. He's a twattish *************!

Pip Madeley Guest

I prefered Smeary Kilt when he was under that silly psyedonym 'James Lindsay'.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    It's been terrible for the last 24hrs, for me........

Pip Madeley Guest

I've been making a couple of technical changes, let me know if things seem to be running smoother

Trudi G Guest

It's going faster than a roadrunner on speed now

Or maybe not.......
    Last edited by Trudi G; 22nd Feb 2007 at 10:19 PM.

No, not much faster & we seem to have lost the 'GO' button at the bottom of each page. I use that all the time & I'm lost without it. It was on the 'search' function.

Pip Madeley Guest

Going fast for me at the moment. Remember, it's down to your own connection speed, as well as our server, which we share with other websites. I'm afraid it'll be slow from time to time, there's not much else I can do.

The 'Go' function you mention was actually one of the things really slowing loading times up, because it uses a lot of HTML... removing it has freed up strain on the server already. Whether everyone wants it back or not, I don't know, but I guess if you do you'll let us know...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    Going fast for me at the moment. Remember, it's down to your own connection speed, as well as our server, which we share with other websites. I'm afraid it'll be slow from time to time, there's not much else I can do.

The 'Go' function you mention was actually one of the things really slowing loading times up, because it uses a lot of HTML... removing it has freed up strain on the server already. Whether everyone wants it back or not, I don't know, but I guess if you do you'll let us know...
    well i'd much rather see it reinstalled as I find the drop down "Go" menu is so much faster and easier to go to the page you want..

Wayne Guest

What 'Go' button? Didn't even know there was one!

Anyway, it did seem faster last night, but a bit slow again now.

I know about the connection thing, but i know when things are running slower than normal. It's a bit of a clue when everywhere else on the net that i go seems fine, but PS is like sludge.

It's not desirable to lose the Go button because it means scrolling right to the top of the page to get back to the forum you are looking at. But it MAY be a tolerable evil if it speeds up the forum.

I don't blame Pip for trying to make improvements, I just wish (with the greatest respect) that people didn't post a comment every time PS gets a bit slow. Every forum has slow periods, rarely (if ever) has PS been unusable due to this. You gotta just be patient!

Si.

Nothing to do with PS running speed...honest!!!

Is it me or has the rather handy 'Forum Jump' feature vanished?

It may be that I've somehow de-activated it on my machine here at work, but I thought I'd ask anyway

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I just wish (with the greatest respect) that people didn't post a comment every time PS gets a bit slow. Every forum has slow periods, rarely (if ever) has PS been unusable due to this. You gotta just be patient!

Si.
    Fair enough. I only really mentioned it though because it was so slow for a consistently long period. The night before my post it was slow all night, but i didn't mention it for the reasons you say. But then when i struggled with it for the whole of the next day as well, i thought it might be worth a mention in case there was a problem. I'd never moan specifically at Pip for it though. It's not his (or anyones) fault.