Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

It's likely that the pre-orders will help fund the project. They make no bones about the whole BF operation being reliant on pre-orders and subscriptions because all their costs are up-front and they need their revenue to be too.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Maybe we ought to support them and pre-order after all then?

However, I'd quite like to know if the Lost Stories are going to be full plays or just narrated adventures before I get them.

Si.

I'd hope since the Doctor is still alive and particpating, that they'd be full plays. I guess the reason why the Doctors 1 and 2 ones aren't is because we have no Hartnell and Troughton.

I'm trying to work out what 4th Doctor/ Leela unmade stories there are. I could do some Doctor/ Sarah ones and Doctor/ Romana ones, but I'm a bit puzzled by the Doctor/ Leela choices, unless they're doing what they did with the others and adapating them for whatever companions they like!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

There's "Killer Cats".

Si.

Oh, of course. That'd be interesting!

Si xx

I want to know Marc Platt is going to be writing any of them... or Robert Ross... might influence my decision.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I did some digging and have found as well as The Killer Cats story, there's also a couple of Chris Boucher storylines knocking around from s14/15/16 time- The Mentor Conspiracy being a common name bandied around.

There's also The Angarath by Eric Pringle which was submitted by S14.

And a Marc Platt story that was apparently low on dramatic situations and with no well defined villain according to Robert Holmes.

Si xx

Robert Ross is long gone. Funnily enough they have a new one to look out for - Marty Ross. He's not very good. Pray he isn't involved. What is it about the name Ross?

Si.

And a Marc Platt story that was apparently low on dramatic situations and with no well defined villain according to Robert Holmes.
    It's a shoe-in!

Si.

Worryingly, that's what I thought!

Si xx

I really don't get the concept of the Lost Stories, for the most part. If there is any existing curiosity about them ("Ice Time", "Mission to Magnus" etc) then fair enough, otherwise the concept seems to be "stories which by definition arn't good enough" which is an extraordinary reason for getting a cast together and making the thing.

Si.

Not having heard any of them, I'm probably not all that qualified to comment, but it does seem that generally the reaction to them has been one of excitement that quickly dissipates once you've heard the stories in question.

That said I would quite like to hear the Christopher Bailey one.

Si xx

They should take the basic idea and set-up, then re-write them from top to bottom.

Because that's what would have happened if they'd have progressed further towards the screen.

Anyway! Didn't John Lucarotti or someone write a script called 'Puffball', that was being passed about the Who office for at least four years?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It became "Ark in Space" I believe.

They should take the basic idea and set-up, then re-write them from top to bottom.

Because that's what would have happened if they'd have progressed further towards the screen.
    But they wouldn't have been re-written in 1985 by Alan Barnes and Marc Platt. So all you have in the end is a modern version of a story no-one liked 20 years ago.

Surely they should either present them exactly as they were, or not do them at all. Otherwise you end up with neither an accurate historical document of what nearly got made, or a good story.

Si.

Surely having a good story would be far better than having an historical document? And no story is beyond salvation.

They could include the original script or notes as a PDF, perhaps, but I suspect that would be too difficult for the formatting of the CDs.

Maybe you're right!

Si.

That's interesting - despite what I said, I was starting to think that you were right!

Everybody's right! Hooray!

Si xx

According to the DWM Yearbook 1995 (of all places) there's a Chris Boucher storyline from Season 14 called "The Dreamers of Phados" that they didn't use plus an unknown story by someone called Basil Dawson and a Douglas Camfield one about the "Foreign Legion" but I think Sarah was to have been written out in that one.

Season 15 has the original version of "State of Decay" and "Killers in the Dark" or whatever "Gengh Singh" wants to be called this week.

From Season 16 there's "The Lords of Misrule" by Ted Willis.

If they get desperate then they could drag Hinchlcliffe's "Valley of the Lost" from 1979 into the equation or bloody "Erinella ella ella eh eh" by Pennant Roberts.

La noo.

I almost might be tempted into the BF web by these Tom ones... They've got the rest of the year to lure me further...

The original version of "The Witch Lords" wouldn't be unwelcome. That was Leela wasn't it?

There's that God-awful idea Hinchcliffe had for his unmade "next season", as cited on a recent DVD. Something about metal things on wheels or something. Marc Platt could spin that out into a 4-parter.

Si.

In terms of 'finished' scripts, I thought I'd read somewhere that 'Killer Cats' had been actually written (or at least to a full first draft) - because wasn't it only when the scripts arrived that they realised how absurdly expensive it was going to be?

Similarly, I think there were extracts from Camfield's foreign legion story in a 'The Frame' years back, suggesting a full script was written - obviously that was Sarah (and why haven't BF got Lis in on this Tom revival?) so would need rewriting to at least some degree, but maybe...

Mind you, maybe there's another CHB script kicking around from Season 18. I'm sure Tom would love to stick to the exact wording of that script...

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    There's that God-awful idea Hinchcliffe had for his unmade "next season", as cited on a recent DVD. Something about metal things on wheels or something. Marc Platt could spin that out into a 4-parter.

Si.
    Is that the same as 'The Lost Valley' that he sent in to Douglas Adams for Tom and Romana (story outline appears at the end of 'The Hinchcliffe Years' book by Mr Rigelsford) ?
    Bazinga !

There's a full outline for The Lost Valley of the Lost in the . Dwm yearbook but . I can't face reading it. It mentioned South American jungles in the intro paragraph which would suggest it's the Indiana Jones type story Hinchcliffe mentions in the dvd interview.

and why haven't BF got Lis in on this Tom revival?
    As she vamoosed from Big Finish round about the time SJA took off, I'd suggest that either (i) BF no longer have the rights to use Sarah as she's on the Beeb or (ii) she's too busy or (iii) they can't afford her now. Or possibly all three.

Si.