It's reported on Ceefax and BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6244153.stm

Morrissey in talks for Eurovision

Former Smiths singer Morrissey could represent the UK at the 2007 Eurovision Song Contest, the BBC has confirmed.

The Mancunian musician first expressed an interest in taking part after Daz Sampson's song, Teenage Life, came fifth from last in the 2006 contest.

"I was horrified but not surprised to see the UK fail," he said. "Why didn't they ask me?"

The BBC says it is in talks with the singer to write and possibly perform a track for this year's contest in May.

But a spokeswoman for the corporation warned "nothing is confirmed at the moment".

The BBC has approached several other high-profile acts as it tries to "up the ante on the calibre of artists" taking part in the annual competition, she added.

Devoted fans

Morrissey, 47, first found fame with indie group The Smiths, whose dark, brooding songs and social commentary on issues such as vegetarianism won a devoted following.

The band also released a series of acclaimed albums, including The Queen is Dead, which regularly feature in critics' all-time best lists.

They split up in 1987, after which Morrissey launched a successful solo career, scoring 10 top 10 singles in the UK.

He has been linked to the Eurovision song contest before, working with the UK's first winner, Sandie Shaw, in the 1980s.

Last year, the video for his You Have Killed Me single featured a pastiche of the kitsch Eurovision competitions of the 1970s.

However, to make it through to the real Eurovision, Morrissey would have to win the public's approval in the qualifying stages of the competition.

Former Blue singer Antony Costa and glamour model Jordan have seen their hopes dashed at this stage in previous years.

The winning entrant will compete against 23 other European nations in the final, which will be held in Helsinki after Finnish hard rock band Lordi won the contest in 2006.
Sounds good.