Default Jedward Dropped After 1 Single

Seems a touch unfair! "Only" got to number 2?

X Factor stars John & Edward have been dropped by their record company Sony after the performance of their debut single disappointed bosses.

The pair's first release 'Under Pressure (Ice Ice Baby)' - a collaboration with rapper Vanilla Ice - only managed to enter the UK chart at number two last month before dropping to 12 a week later.

A Sony source told The Sun: "We tried our best to make the lads credible recording artists but punters just weren't that bothered.

"They are great lads but haven't got the greatest voices, so they're something to see rather than listen to.

"Record companies are going through major upheaval so we have to be very careful what we throw our weight behind. I'm sure Jedward will be able to make a buck touring as a novelty act."

John & Edward's manager Louis Walsh confirmed the news last night but insisted that he remains "completely committed" to the twins.

He added: "The boys have a sell-out tour in Ireland straight after The X Factor tour in April and I'm in talks with a major record label about a new deal for them."

That's really awful! Talk about failing to support artists!

How are they supposed to develop or improve if they get dropped after one single? What happened to building up a fan-base? No wonder the record industry is dying up it's own backside.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Louis Walsh will stick by them though. Louis?

LOUIS?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    How are they supposed to develop or improve if they get dropped after one single? What happened to building up a fan-base?
    Surely that's what The X Factor is for, these days. If you can't build up a fan base being watched by 12 million people for 16 (?) weeks, you're never going to. Harsh, but fair.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Turns out they weren't tuning into the X-Factor to watch Jedward.

Don't get me wrong - I think Jedward are awful. Yes they can sing fairly well, but the choice of 'Ice Ice Baby' isn't one that shows off their ability. But Jedward could still develop and improve.

Although they've done the X-Factor, this is their first go at chart success which is notoriously difficult to pull off. I think Sony should have stuck with them. They got to No.2! They sold a lot of MP3s!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Yes they can sing fairly well
    You're very kind there Steve!

They can't sing for shit. But I liked the single. I thought it was lots of fun, and quite inventive. I might well have bought a follow up.

Si.

I still await Ruth Lorenzo.

A bored sub-editor at The S*n pretending to be a 'Sony source' said: "We tried our best to make the lads credible recording artists but punters just weren't that bothered.
    "Weren't that bothered"? They were obviously bothered enough to make it the second highest-selling single in the UK for at least one week.

Yes, they were crap, but in a fun kind of way, and I'd agree that this is very harsh. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs here but perhaps Sony didn't really want them in the first place, and just grudgingly gave them an obligatory single release to satisfy those who had followed them on The X Factor, only to get rid of them at the first opportunity.

However, all is not lost!
    Jedward switch record labels after one single

X Factor finalists John and Edward Grimes - otherwise known as Jedward - have switched record labels and signed to Universal, it has been confirmed.

The announcement comes a day after it was reported the duo had been dropped by Sony, with whom they released their first single, Under Pressure.

However, it is not clear whether the duo had ever signed to Sony for more than a one-off single.

Manager Louis Walsh said he was "completely committed" to the twins.

Walsh, who mentored the 18-year-olds on the X Factor added he was "delighted" to have secured a new deal.

"I know they still have a great career ahead of them. The boys have a sell-out tour in Ireland that they start straight after The X Factor Tour in April." he added.

The twins divided X Factor fans when they made it through to the final 12, despite a general inability to sing in tune - or in time with one another.

However, their energetic performances of Ghostbusters, We Will Rock You and Oops, I Did It Again, combined with their outrageous outfits, made them, arguably, the series most memorable contestants.

In January when they signed their first deal, the pair said they were "living our dream".

Their first single Under Pressure (Ice Ice Baby) - a duet with rapper Vanilla Ice - was beaten to number one by US band Owl City in February, despite a high profile performance at the National TV Awards.

The track dropped out of the top 10 after a week.

From BBC News

Ireland'll send them to Eurovish next year. You could see it!

Why is everyone always so negative! They get a number 2, so the drop the week after is what's given the emphasis. I notice critical darling Smelly Gouldings gargantuan 16 place drop from the top of the album charts last week hasn't been given the same coverage.

Si. :mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Why is everyone always so negative!
    Well that's another debate really, but after the fact the media will every time, so Sony had little choice I suspect. The first single was always going to be their biggest shot, I can't really think of any X-factor act that has built a fanbase afterwards, except perhaps Girls Aloud.

Good luck to them at Universal, but it highlights why record labels are struggling to make profits.....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

They should've been strangled at birth....

and then shot.